TRF members as Rush Album Ambassadors

RushBoingo

It's sonically awesome, having been masterfully mastered by Nick Raskuellnics (I know I probablyy spelt that wrong, forgive me Nick), and, following Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows, doesn't disappoint. This is Rush's first full concept album, differing from 2112 and Hemispheres as they only had one epic song on the first side. Words cannot describe the intensity and excellence of this album, and Neil Leart's lyrics have never been better. This is truly an album for the ages!

How's that?

Excellent. I feel like I've found my brutha from anutha mutha.

What really blows mind is how it packs great song after song. We got 5 all-timers on this thing. They even got a song that isn't a song—and that one still kicks ass. Man I hope they keep Nick. He knowz wuz up!

This album makes all the 70's stuff look like childs play.

When I hit 60, I wanna be that amazing.

I LOVE CA!

But I disagree about it being better than the seventies...

Stuff from the 70's is so dated. Great stuff, but Clockwork Angels has more balls than all of that era's music put together.

It's sonically awesome, having been masterfully mastered by Nick Raskuellnics (I know I probablyy spelt that wrong, forgive me Nick), and, following Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows, doesn't disappoint. This is Rush's first full concept album, differing from 2112 and Hemispheres as they only had one epic song on the first side. Words cannot describe the intensity and excellence of this album, and Neil Leart's lyrics have never been better. This is truly an album for the ages!

How's that?

What really blows mind is how it packs great song after song. We got 5 all-timers on this thing. They even got a song that isn't a song—and that one still kicks ass. Man I hope they keep Nick. He knowz wuz up!

I LOVE CA!

Stuff from the 70's is so dated. Great stuff, but Clockwork Angels has more balls than all of that era's music put together.

Here, I start to disagree with you Tombstone. I'd say CA's sort of a 70's revival in a way. It sorta feels like the 70s stuff with a heavier sound to me. However, I don't agree with it being better than the seventies, since I love 2112, Xanadu, Cygnus, Hemispheres, Circumstances and La Villa so very much

• Like 3

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

Here, I start to disagree with you Tombstone. I'd say CA's sort of a 70's revival in a way. It sorta feels like the 70s stuff with a heavier sound to me. However, I don't agree with it being better than the seventies, since I love 2112, Xanadu, Cygnus, Hemispheres, Circumstances and La Villa so very much

Yeah they're OK in a pinch, but they're no Clockwork Angels.

I love the "golden" era dude, just don't listen to it much since CA.

CA does have a very special place in my heart though, it got me hooked on Rush, it was the first studio album i was introduced to (only 16 as of next Monday) and quite frankly BU2B and Caravan were the first songs I was drawn to on Time Machine, which was the first Rush I ever bought

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

Really? CA plays it very safe to me, and two years onwards it fails to keep the excitement that older efforts provide. Sorry, but CA has no songs to rival the greats like Xanadu, Bastille Day, YYZ, Freewill or even Analog Kid.

Its great, but replaying it today, it is surprising how much I prefer the older works. They haven't dated. Give CA another thirty years and then see if it stands so tall! Its no 2112. Not even a Hemispheres. And the guitar licks are not as exciting as, say, Rush or Caress of Steel. Sorry, I disagree with Clockwork Angels being their masterpiece. But I respect anyone who chooses it as their favourite.

• Like 3

Well mate, I respect your opinion, but I can honestly say that my opinions are quite to the contrary. I think this will age quite well, and for me it's only gotten better with time. I don't think Rush or CoS are masterpieces, but I respect anyone who may choose either as their favourites
  • Like 1

Well mate, I respect your opinion, but I can honestly say that my opinions are quite to the contrary. I think this will age quite well, and for me it's only gotten better with time. I don't think Rush or CoS are masterpieces, but I respect anyone who may choose either as their favourites

I wasn't saying I prefer Rush or CoS, I was simply saying nonebof the guitarwork, forty years down the line, strikes me as being anywhwere near as memorable as the seventies. I really struggle to make out some of the backing vocal arrangements, and as wonderful as the songs are, only Headlong Flight and The Garden match up favourably to the earlier stuff.

Maybe I am just having an off day, I might simply not be in the mood for it.

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

CA plays it very safe to me

Turn in thy Rush card. Just kidding dude. That statement is funny. Ain't nothing "safe" about CA

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

Turn in thy Rush card. Just kidding dude. That statement is funny. Ain't nothing "safe" about CA

Considering where the band were in 2012, this is true! But as a conceptual piece it fails to maintain coherence, as a listening experience the production and mixing fails to keep it eclectic, despite the songwriting itself being very strong. As for the songs themselves, nothing here is exactly groundbreaking or even new for the band, and lyrically...well lyrically the album is faultless.

I think the album is a hit, a wonderful piece of work, but most of it fails to shine as bright as their most established classic work.

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

As for the songs themselves, nothing here is exactly groundbreaking or even new for the band

This is where you're off.

The album is chock full of new sonic creations.

HF?

CA?

Caravan?

SCOG?

HE?

BU2B?

The Wreckers?

Carnies?

The Anarchist?

The Garden?

WTW?

What, on God's green earth, isn't new or fresh about these freaking songs?

• Like 1

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

As for the songs themselves, nothing here is exactly groundbreaking or even new for the band

HF?

CA?

Caravan?

SCOG?

HE?

BU2B?

The Wreckers?

Carnies?

The Anarchist?

The Garden?

WTW?

The songs are new, yes, but nothing groundbreaking! And of course it does help that they are the best songs the band has written for years, maybe even decades. But they are all fairly standard rock songs, the best of them harking back to the sound of the seventies, but without really breaking new ground musically, in fact, nowhere do they sound at their peak. Clockwork Angels is a beast of a song, but compare it to Xanadu or even The Camera Eye, it just sort of reaches towards that level but doesn't quite make its goal. Headlong Flight is an ace track, absolutely astonishing, but it borrows again from the old sound and simply sounds like a terrific rock song, but not a particularly modern one. The Garden is beautiful, and a refreshing closer.

But their masterpiece? No. Bands like Muse released groundbreaking and experimental albums in 2012, the only thing keeping them below the high standard of Rush's CA is the fact CA really was that great! But it still doesn't change the fact that other bands are pushing music forward, or even making the best of what is current, in much the same way as Rush did at the peak of their creative powers.

But CA, their best album? Looking at facts on a paper, it really is just an ordinary rock album. Sure it is their first full concept album, but the story fails to be coherent. I honestly have no idea what the story is about, which is funny considering Red Barchetta set up a whole futuristic setting wih a small world tale that successfully set pulses racing and the mind thinking in just a few short minutes...and as a long-form conceptual piece, it is better than The Fountain Of Lamneth or Hemispheres, but only because the music is tighter. 2112 still walks all over this, with an emotional urgency and firey passion that manages to overcome its almost juvenile premise.

Seriously, Rush have created albums of such power and greatness, havingin the past pushed their talents to the max, resulting in the creation of highly memorable tunes. CA is all of these, but not quite to their highest standard, which I think is clear once you take a closer examination.

CA is great enough to be a favourite, but great enough to be placed above historical milestones such as 2112 or Moving Pictures? Sorry, no way! If a young band created this, the world would be their oyster. But a legendary forty year old- and counting- band wrote this, and their real glories shine much brighter than this!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I don't see what was so groundbreaking about their '70s material. They went from being Led Zeppelin imitators to being the good-but-inferior little brothers of Yes. If anything, they were late to jump on the prog bandwagon. Everyone back then was writing epics with fantastic themes in odd time signatures. Rush's material was interesting in its own way (and the guys themselves had impressive technical chops), but it was hardly groundbreaking.
  • Like 1

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

HF?

CA?

Caravan?

SCOG?

HE?

BU2B?

The Wreckers?

Carnies?

The Anarchist?

The Garden?

WTW?

The songs are new, yes, but nothing groundbreaking! Looking at facts on a paper, it really is just an ordinary rock album.

Dude you've been into Rush for like a year. You haven't even hit Rush puberty yet.

• Like 1

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

HF?

CA?

Caravan?

SCOG?

HE?

BU2B?

The Wreckers?

Carnies?

The Anarchist?

The Garden?

WTW?

The songs are new, yes, but nothing groundbreaking! Looking at facts on a paper, it really is just an ordinary rock album.

Dude you've been into Rush for like a year. You haven't even hit Rush puberty yet.

Three years into Rush, into music of all genres all my life. Don't put a time limit on personal taste.

• Like 1

I had a weird and crazy thought. It seems out there that there are certain members on the forum that have a special devotion and love to a particular rush album, and others that are more defensive of albums that get more negative comments, therefore I thought maybe through group consensus there are certain members that could unofficial Album Ambassadors (though this is not official or anything, just an interesting project). Have someone to nominate, or want to nominate yourself? Put it in the comments, I can't wait for the bloodbath for people claiming to be the biggest Hemispheres and All the World's A Stage fan.

Though I personally love Power Windows to death, I think I would nominate myself as the Ambassador for the A Show Of Hands live album. I think it gets little respect when compared to its live album brethren, and I personally believe its the best of the old live albums due to the great sonic differences from the studio versions of the songs present.

ASOH was my first RUSH album, I think it's great I agree.

Counterparts was my 2nd when it first came out, and it's still one of my favorites to this day.

You can't really say that though. That's like somebody dismissing a member with the IQ of Einstein because he only has 10 posts or something.

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

You can't really say that though. That's like somebody dismissing a member with the IQ of Einstein because he only has 10 posts or something.

My point exactly. I give an intelligent response to forward a discussion between two minds and all I get is a veiled insult.

I was genuinely interested to hear his verdict, and all I get is a "you are not qualified to have your own view" style remark. Or he throws an artistically questionable childrens film I love continually in my face against me as if for some reason that sheds any light on why I am disqualified from making acceptable, valid opinion. Boring!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My point exactly. I give an intelligent response to forward a discussion between two minds and all I get is a veiled insult.

I was genuinely interested to hear his verdict, and all I get is a "you are not qualified to have your own view" style remark. Or he throws an artistically questionable childrens film I love continually in my face against me as if for some reason that sheds any light on why I am disqualified from making acceptable, valid opinion. Boring!

Relax bro just yanking your chain. I enjoy reading you thoroughly researched opinion on CA.

Relax bro just yanking your chain. I enjoy reading you thoroughly researched opinion on CA.

Sometimes you are so easy to misread haha!

• Like 1

How's that?

I LOVE CA!

I just said something similar on another thread. I'm glad I am not alone.

I'm taking Hemispheres and I'll fight anyone who tries to take it from me. :smash:

KennyLee? (No offense, but I'll vote for Kenny. I suspect he sleeps with the LP sleeve.)

:yes:

I've never fought a girl... but for Hemispheres?

:bang bang: - - - - (Anyone else)

• Like 1

I'm taking Hemispheres and I'll fight anyone who tries to take it from me. :smash:

KennyLee? (No offense, but I'll vote for Kenny. I suspect he sleeps with the LP sleeve.)

:yes:

I've never fought a girl... but for Hemispheres?

:bang bang: - - - - (Anyone else)

I'm claiming the "red vinyl" Hemispheres - it sounds way better than the crappy regular "black vinyl" LPs.

• Like 1