Cell Phone zombies

Lost In Xanadu

I sometimes "accidentally" leave mine at home, or turn it off and "forget" to turn it back on.

My husband is turning into a CPZ, and we've had a couple of spats about it. A few weeks ago I'd cooked dinner (we don't often get to eat together due to schedules), and he brought his phone with him when he came to the table. I finally told him if he continued to send/receive texts, OK, but I was going to take my plate into the den and finish eating while I read a book.

"But it's clients! They're important!"

"It's also dinner time so unless it's an emergency, they can wait half an hour. I've met some of your clients and I know they eat."

I also hate it when I'm having a conversation with someone and they keep interrupting to text. Another thing my husband is guilty of doing - but the last time he did it we had such a row over it that I think he's permanently cured.

• Like 5

I sometimes "accidentally" leave mine at home, or turn it off and "forget" to turn it back on.

My husband is turning into a CPZ, and we've had a couple of spats about it. A few weeks ago I'd cooked dinner (we don't often get to eat together due to schedules), and he brought his phone with him when he came to the table. I finally told him if he continued to send/receive texts, OK, but I was going to take my plate into the den and finish eating while I read a book.

"It's also dinner time so unless it's an emergency, they can wait half an hour. I've met some of your clients and I know they eat."

I also hate it when I'm having a conversation with someone and they keep interrupting to text. Another thing my husband is guilty of doing - but the last time he did it we had such a row over it that I think he's permanently cured.

I treat my cell phone like the DVR in a way. If I'm having a conversation with my kids or wife (or anyone really) and I am watching tv... I pause the show and we talk. No distractions, no interruptions. Same with my cell phone - people can wait. People used to wait. At one point in time, I'm pretty sure people waited and were ok with it.

• Like 4

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4As4iLPu3qc/USMzoTFplpI/AAAAAAAARO8/TaWhAU4XpXg/s320/021913003302-771978.jpg

This picture kinda made me sad... I never heard the term "cell phone zombies" before and my wife and I just started calling people that. Guess I'm not as original as I thought! :LOL:

• Like 1

I have a phone which I can call or text on...have no requirement for a "smart"phone.

Even then, I hardly use it and have loads of the free minutes/texts left at the end of each month.

• Like 2

I see it in the gym a lot as well. People, if you are texting or e-mailing, you're not working out hard enough. At least get your ass up off the bench I need to use to, you know, lift some weights.

I did get a big laugh recently from one of these dweebs, though. College age guy, and he is so STUDLY because he's lifting the olympic bar with the great big plates on either end. Now, I happen to know that those big fat plates only weigh 25 lbs. each - the manufacturers make them that way for people who like everyone to look at them and say, "WOW! What an AMAZINGLY STRONG AND VIRILE FELLOW!" Of course he also has to draw attention to himself by letting the bar slam to the floor after every set.

Same guy has placed his cell phone, water and towel on one of the flat benches, and he sits and texts between sets. I need to use this bench for some flyes, so I ask him nicely to move his stuff. He shoots me a look - I mean, how DARE I want to use the equipment for its intended purpose???? Clearly it's been unofficially designated as his personal desk while he is working out. But he moves his stuff, and I commence doing 6 sets of flyes.

Midway through I hear the loud thud of a loaded bar hitting the floor, accompanied by a "crunch". THe crunch is followed by an explosion of profanity. Yes, Mr. Studly has dropped one loaded end of the bar directly on top of his phone. He glares at me again - clearly it's my fault - and of course I cannot keep my mouth shut. "Good thing those plates are only the 25's and not the 45's!"

Edited by Mara
  • Like 5

I see it in the gym a lot as well. People, if you are texting or e-mailing, you're not working out hard enough. At least get your ass up off the bench I need to use to, you know, lift some weights.

I did get a big laugh recently from one of these dweebs, though. College age guy, and he is so STUDLY because he's lifting the olympic bar with the great big plates on either end. Now, I happen to know that those big fat plates only weigh 25 lbs. each - the manufacturers make them that way for people who like everyone to look at them and say, "WOW! What an AMAZINGLY STRONG AND VIRILE FELLOW!" Of course he also has to draw attention to himself by letting the bar slam to the floor after every set.

Same guy has placed his cell phone, water and towel on one of the flat benches, and he sits and texts between sets. I need to use this bench for some flyes, so I ask him nicely to move his stuff. He shoots me a look - I mean, how DARE I want to use the equipment for its intended purpose???? Clearly it's been unofficially designated as his personal desk while he is working out. But he moves his stuff, and I commence doing 6 sets of flyes.

Midway through I hear the loud thud of a loaded bar hitting the floor, accompanied by a "crunch". THe crunch is followed by an explosion of profanity. Yes, Mr. Studly has dropped one loaded end of the bar directly on top of his phone. He glares at me again - clearly it's my fault - and of course I cannot keep my mouth shut. "Good thing those plates are only the 25's and not the 45's!"

You're sure they weren't the 45s? 25s are not that big.

I messed my back up pretty bad doing heavy lifting in college. I was bench pressing 335, curling 120 dumbbells. Shit gets ugly in a hurry when you hurt your back and can't work out.

I have a phone which I can call or text on...have no requirement for a "smart"phone.

Even then, I hardly use it and have loads of the free minutes/texts left at the end of each month.

The only reason I ever went to a smart phone was for the deal. I really wish I didn't have all the extra crap on my phone quite often.

Funny as f**k!

What? There's a person without a cell phone?! *gasp*

Two.

It still amazes me when I see grade school kids with their own cell phones. How things have changed.

And drinking coffee. :wacko: :P

There are girls in my daughter's class that drink coffee and have horribly stained teeth already....

Are they on diets yet? I've heard that girls as early as kindergarden and first grade are now concerned with their weight and with fashion. That's truly awful.

Are you joking or are you serious? If serious, yes, it is awful. I am grateful that I was born when I was born. I wouldn't want to grow up in our present world.

Unfortunately I am not joking. Children with body image issues are a real thing :(

I messed my back up pretty bad doing heavy lifting in college. I was bench pressing 335, curling 120 dumbbells. Shit gets ugly in a hurry when you hurt your back and can't work out.

The gym has 45's, plenty of them. But they've also got these giant plates that are the same diameter as the 45's and twice as thick - like I said, they're marketed to people who are really, really concerned with appearing to look as though they are lifting a whole crapton of weight. But they only weigh 25 lbs.

I treat my cell phone like the DVR in a way. If I'm having a conversation with my kids or wife (or anyone really) and I am watching tv... I pause the show and we talk. No distractions, no interruptions. Same with my cell phone - people can wait. People used to wait. At one point in time, I'm pretty sure people waited and were ok with it.

Not only that but I remember when call waiting was - gasp - a relatively rare thing that only a few people had on their land lines. You called them when they were already chatting, you got a busy signal. Tough shit, call back later. I have no clue how we ever managed to communicate in those primitive times.

• Like 5

I have no clue how we ever managed to communicate in those primitive times.

This is true, but I am grateful for the internet. If it wasn't for the internet, I'd be the only Rush fan I know. This place means a lot to me. :)

• Like 9

The gym has 45's, plenty of them. But they've also got these giant plates that are the same diameter as the 45's and twice as thick - like I said, they're marketed to people who are really, really concerned with appearing to look as though they are lifting a whole crapton of weight. But they only weigh 25 lbs.

Are they made of balsa wood or something?

Edited by x1yyz

It's funny because I am on-call once in a while and I am embarrassed if I am on a call while checking out at the store. I feel like a rude asshole.

I feel the exact same way. :LOL:

Yeah, a lot of people think that about LIX. I think they're being a bit uncharitable, though. ;)

• Like 1

Not only that but I remember when call waiting was - gasp - a relatively rare thing that only a few people had on their land lines. You called them when they were already chatting, you got a busy signal. Tough shit, call back later. I have no clue how we ever managed to communicate in those primitive times.

Yeah, I remember when we'd have to stay home, all day, if someone really, really, important was going to call. I remember when South Carolina went to 3 area codes and people got flat bent out of shape because they had to start dialing the area code. I'm not too old, but I remember having to get up yet change the TV channel and rabbit ears and no AC.
  • Like 3

I remember no color television.

But one of the things I most miss from the past, is getting a human being on the other line instead of a robot telling you all your options and what number to punch in, then getting another automaton telling you more options. Then, getting one that wants you to speak your answers, but every time you do, the robot says, "Sorry. I didn't get that." Sometimes you should see me screaming into the phone when that happens. :facepalm:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

But one of the things I most miss from the past, is getting a human being on the other line instead of a robot telling you all your options and what number to punch in, then getting another automaton telling you more options. Then, getting one that wants you to speak your answers, but every time you do, the robot says, "Sorry. I didn't get that." Sometimes you should see me screaming into the phone when that happens. :facepalm:

OMG!

It drives me nuts. :wacko:

• Like 1

OMG!

It drives me nuts. :wacko:

And the "press 1 for English". That's just not right.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I usually curse at it until it gives me a person to talk to :LOL:

• Like 3

A couple of Zombies at work again today. Not doing there job when it is the most important time of the night. You can bet I will bring it up at Tuesday's meeting. :madra: Edited by troutman

I just remembered about a couple of zombiesque people I saw on the Clockwork Angels tour. I was on the floor in something like the 15th row, and two seats in front of me were empty. I know those were expensive seats. Finally, after the intermission, a couple comes and takes the seats. For the rest of the show they would take a photo of the band, or maybe of themselves with the stage in the background, then sit down and proceed to post to photo somewhere. Then they would stand up and repeat this. I'm not sure that they actually watched any of the songs, and they may have even left early.

I can just imagine what they posted. "Hey man, this is such a great show!" Uh, if it's so great, maybe you should watch it?

• Like 3

I just remembered about a couple of zombiesque people I saw on the Clockwork Angels tour. I was on the floor in something like the 15th row, and two seats in front of me were empty. I know those were expensive seats. Finally, after the intermission, a couple comes and takes the seats. For the rest of the show they would take a photo of the band, or maybe of themselves with the stage in the background, then sit down and proceed to post to photo somewhere. Then they would stand up and repeat this. I'm not sure that they actually watched any of the songs, and they may have even left early.

I can just imagine what they posted. "Hey man, this is such a great show!" Uh, if it's so great, maybe you should watch it?

Rock and roll shows are full of these people now. I can understand people who want to take a picture, or some pictures, but it bugs me that people just use their phones to do that. (Remember seeing people's lighters, illuminating the dark throughout the whole venue? Those have been replaced with everybody and his brother AND his sister holding up their cell phones right in front of you while you're trying to see). But people texting while they're at a show, that's the worst. I just want to grab them by the arms and shake them and say, "Why the hell did you come here??"

• Like 3