Neils old drum kits, what happen with them?

YYZumbi

Neil got a new kind of drum kit every tour and every album it seems like. So my question is, what happens with the old ones? Do they keep them in some storage room, or do they sell them, or what?

My answer is the right one! If you write a letter to Geddy on Neil's drum and mail it to Geddy, you can be sure he'll read the letter.
  • Like 7

Some are in storage at a museum in Ottawa. Some were given away in contests. Many have changed hands since. I believe one is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Neil got a new kind of drum kit every tour and every album it seems like. So my question is, what happens with the old ones? Do they keep them in some storage room, or do they sell them, or what?

I think that is a good question, Zumbi. I never even noticed that he had a new drum kit with every tour.

For your reading pleasure..

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/drums_history.htm

I thank you for the thread because it got me thinking and a quick google search lead me to that page. Looks like lots of cool info on there!

• Like 1

For your reading pleasure..

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/drums_history.htm

I thank you for the thread because it got me thinking and a quick google search lead me to that page. Looks like lots of cool info on there!

EDIT: boy is my face red. Once again a day late and a dollar short lol

Thank you Mr Dscrapre ;)

• Like 1

I know exactly where the PW/MP/ESL kit is. Less than a few feet away.... ;)
  • Like 3

I know exactly where the PW/MP/ESL kit is. Less than a few feet away.... ;)

I remember reading about such contests, but no idea what you had to do to win. You won them??? That's amazing! Imagine how much it is worth now!

Edited by Pars123

I still wonder where all of the limited edition R30 DW kits went...don't think I ever saw an actual price on them back when they were on sale either, but I imagine it was astronomical...man,I'd love to have one of those... I've only come across one on youtube. Also, the red Tamas can be seen on youtube as well since someone scooped them up at auction not too long ago.

I didn't win, my friend Adam did. He was the first winner in 1982.
  • Like 1

I imagine you could probably take the rims and heads off and repurpose them as hanging lights around the house. They'd be quote a conversation piece.
  • Like 3

Nothing more depressing than a drum set sitting in a museum or warehouse, not being played. Actually, there are tons of things more depressing than that, but it's still pretty damned depressing.
  • Like 1

I think it is the Museum of Civilization or something like that and a number of years back, Rush cleared their storage warehouse and donated all the equipment. I have never heard of any of it being on view to the public.

I still wonder where all of the limited edition R30 DW kits went...don't think I ever saw an actual price on them back when they were on sale either, but I imagine it was astronomical...man,I'd love to have one of those... I've only come across one on youtube. Also, the red Tamas can be seen on youtube as well since someone scooped them up at auction not too long ago.

I'm far too lazy to look up links, but I know a few people put up pix of their R30 kits 'back in the day'.

I'm not sure of those pages still exist or not.. but it was pretty cool.

As for the price, if memory serves they were 30k for drums/hardware - you had to buy your own cymbals/hardware.

ETA: here is one page I found with a real quick google search

http://www.andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/Replicas/john_buckland.htm

Edited by Snaked

This thread.. :rfl:

Zumbi dear, you're just going to have to accept that everybody here is a huge smartass.

Anyway, I know one of the sets, Chromey, was purchased by a fan and I believe he takes it to events and lets fans take their picture and kind of "play" it for a few seconds, Rush also has a huge storage facility somewhere in Toronto and I think a lot of their old instruments are kept there.

This thread.. :rfl:

Zumbi dear, you're just going to have to accept that everybody here is a huge smartass.

Anyway, I know one of the sets, Chromey, was purchased by a fan and I believe he takes it to events and lets fans take their picture and kind of "play" it for a few seconds, Rush also has a huge storage facility somewhere in Toronto and I think a lot of their old instruments are kept there.

Here's what I've heard and seen over the years:

Chromey is currently in a museum called the Rhythm Discovery Center in Indianapolis. (along with a Beatles kit, and Bonzo's green sparkle kit) The owner loaned it to them for (I think) two years. Prior to that he was taking it to different events, and you were able to get your picture with it. I think he's going to do that once the run at the museum is up. I'm hoping to get out there to see it one of these days...the past few times I was out there, I had too many other things going on.

The red Tama's were refurbished by the guy that wrote Mereley [sic] Players. A lot of people were a tad pissed that he actually redid them as opposed to just cleaned them up. (i.e. repainted, and had the hardware re-plated) But it was sold, and at some point last year the owner was considering selling them, but decided to keep them.

The Black Slingerlands are also privately owned... I forget the details, but the owner has them preserved pretty well, and I've seen some fairly recent pictures.

I have also heard that the Rosewood Tama's are still in good shape, and that one of the Ludwig kits were donated to a school music program (or something like that)

Edited by Jaminbenb