Test for Echo

LeaveMyThingAlone

You know, I really like this album. Maybe I should go and listen to Snakes & Arrows over and over. It might grow on me too. :o :LOL: ;)

Nah.

Snakes and Arrows and Vapour Trails are the only Rush albums that got worse with repeated plays...just my two cents!

If any thread gets goobs to post - it may be this one :LOL:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bVCnQ_IM6mU/SxbgzFnfJrI/AAAAAAAAGxQ/sZGpNuPkP-k/s400/man-boobs.jpg

You're welcome. :D

Wrong thread, I think.... :huh:

Just per LIX's request. :)

Perhaps you should re-read LIX's post.

Carefully :LOL: :yes:

Damnit! I would be forever embarrassed if that guy didn't have such a nice rack! :drool:

:laughing guy:

Seriously, can we stop quoting the she-man with big boobs? I need Maalox every time I look at that. lol

I never really put it together before, but Rush's run of T4E, Vapor, and Snakes was the worst of Rush IMO. Probably 3 of my 5 bottom albums. It makes Clockwork Angels being so damn good that much more important. They have not at all lost it. Perhaps just don't have the same consistency they used to

Seriously, can we stop quoting the she-man with big boobs? I need Maalox every time I look at that. lol

I never really put it together before, but Rush's run of T4E, Vapor, and Snakes was the worst of Rush IMO. Probably 3 of my 5 bottom albums. It makes Clockwork Angels being so damn good that much more important. They have not at all lost it. Perhaps just don't have the same consistency they used to

The bands worst album streak T4E through to SA? I like T4E but I guess I can agree...is that including Feedback? That album is gently awesome...

To me their sub par streak started with Counterparts and went to VT. Sue me but i really enjoyed S&A. Still do. CA was once again back to......meh. I was never as thrilled with that record as most seem to be. I like about half of that record.

Mick

• Like 1

To me their sub par streak started with Counterparts and went to VT. Sue me but i really enjoyed S&A. Still do. CA was once again back to......meh. I was never as thrilled with that record as most seem to be. I like about half of that record.

Mick

You'll be hearing from my attorney shortly.

• Like 1

Mick

SA is full if good songs that just don't seem to mesh. Its fine, but I never fancy it. In that sense its the same as Rush and Fly By Night. Good, just not ever on my radar.

VT is ugh. Want to like it, but just can't.

CA? I think its the closest thing to a masterpiece for decades, but not quite in the leauge of, say, Hemispheres or Permanent Waves.

When I first bought Test for Echo, I had very high hopes. It turned out to be one of those albums, though, that took many listens to get into. I think I'm still in that stage....maybe a few more listens will do the trick. What bothers me about some Rush tunes is how they start with these glorious, heavy riffs and then just sort of wimp out. I think Virtuality has a killer riff, but the chorus sinks it. I know some people love that about Rush—how a song can have different moods and dynamics—but I don't think it works here. Other examples: The Big Wheel (Roll the Bones), which has that fat chording and then wimps out with a keyboard chorus ("playing for time, don't want to wait for heaven....") and Chain Lightning, which has another interesting heavyish riff and then blows it with "Sun dogs fire, on the horizon." To me it's a let down. Don't mean to get off topic, but I think that some of the newer tunes suffer from this mentality of sorting through jams and trying to tie bits together.
  • Like 1

There is no worst Rush album, it is all in the eyes of the beholder since they are all so different. Test For Echo was for years my least favorite album, and in fact it was the last Rush album I bought to complete my collection of all 20. It took years to like as an album but I always loved Totem and The Color of Right. As time has gone on T4E still stayed in the bottom, but it is a great album. Dog Years is just horrible though, let's just pretend that never happened
  • Like 2

Dog Years is just horrible though, let's just pretend that never happened

Are people disliking Dog Years because it's just goofy? Is it in the same league as I Think I'm Going Bald? A serious theme with less-than-serious lyrics? Is it Peart "trying to be funny" and failing? I'm not suggesting it's any of these, just curious. I don't mind the song that much—the guitar riff is sort of heavy, and there's a bit o' passion in the playing. The words make me think about life and aging in spite of my resistance to goofy punning. Peart has always been one for puns, right?

He's come a long way from some of the early lyrics—I always get a chuckle out of this one, from Caress of Steel: "silence shrouds the forest as the birds announce the dawn..." I don't get it: are the birds announcing the dawn in some totally quiet way??

• Like 1

Are people disliking Dog Years because it's just goofy? Is it in the same league as I Think I'm Going Bald? A serious theme with less-than-serious lyrics? Is it Peart "trying to be funny" and failing? I'm not suggesting it's any of these, just curious. I don't mind the song that much—the guitar riff is sort of heavy, and there's a bit o' passion in the playing. The words make me think about life and aging in spite of my resistance to goofy punning. Peart has always been one for puns, right?

He's come a long way from some of the early lyrics—I always get a chuckle out of this one, from Caress of Steel: "silence shrouds the forest as the birds announce the dawn..." I don't get it: are the birds announcing the dawn in some totally quiet way??

My problem with Dog Years is that everything about it is shitty, the lyrics, the vocals, the guitar... Rush can be as goofy as they want, doesn't bother me. ITIGB is thousands of times better than Dog Years. Dog Years is the only Rush song that I legitimately hate

I've said it before many times on this forum. I don't pay attention to song lyrics. The only thing I've ever cared about is the music.

That being said, I think the music in Dog Years is atrocious. The vocals are annoying and I just never liked the instrument melodies.

In expanding my classic car Rush cassette mixes from three tapes to six (was bound to happen) I revisited T4E to try to salvage something beyond Driven. Decided that Driven through Time and Motion are all pretty solid songs if I put my biases aside, and I've also finally come to appreciate Resist (always knew that Rush thought a lot of it). The rest of the songs are still a pretty hard sell for me, but 5 of 11 aint bad.

In expanding my classic car Rush cassette mixes from three tapes to six (was bound to happen) I revisited T4E to try to salvage something beyond Driven. Decided that Driven through Time and Motion are all pretty solid songs if I put my biases aside, and I've also finally come to appreciate Resist (always knew that Rush thought a lot of it). The rest of the songs are still a pretty hard sell for me, but 5 of 11 aint bad.

One of the best "lesser albums" from any band, ever...

• Like 1

Test for Echo's a decent album. I think it was a slightly disappointing follow up to Counterparts, but yeah, it's decent enough.

T4E> CP

I somewhat liked Test for Echo. I love Half the World and that mandola section. That said, for me, I usually say five songs I like and it's a good album and it's the case here. Half the World, Driven, Resist, Virtuality, and, yes, even Dog Years are good enough for me. Edited by Anguyen92

I liked Test for Echo, especially Half the World and the mandola section. For me, I usually say five songs I like and it's a good album and it's the case here. Half the World, Driven, Resist, Virtuality, and, yes, even Dog Years are good enough for me to be a good album.

There isn't much that I LOVE about Test For Echo. But there is nothing that I don't at least LIKE. Even the laughably atrocious lyrics here and there come across as the product of a genius. Someone who wrote a song as profound and deep as Red Sector A or 2112 must be cognizant of the fact that Dog Years is ridiculously awful. If so, its comedy gold, and I am in on the joke. If he sought to be profound, well, he deserves a gentle ribbing and a nice cold beer...

...seriously, I am a big fan of every Rush album but VT.

• Like 1

I liked Test for Echo, especially Half the World and the mandola section. For me, I usually say five songs I like and it's a good album and it's the case here. Half the World, Driven, Resist, Virtuality, and, yes, even Dog Years are good enough for me to be a good album.

There isn't much that I LOVE about Test For Echo. But there is nothing that I don't at least LIKE. Even the laughably atrocious lyrics here and there come across as the product of a genius. Someone who wrote a song as profound and deep as Red Sector A or 2112 must be cognizant of the fact that Dog Years is ridiculously awful. If so, its comedy gold, and I am in on the joke. If he sought to be profound, well, he deserves a gentle ribbing and a nice cold beer...

I can even forgive VT because of what it meant to the band. We might never have heard from any of them again if it hadn't been for that album.

I can even forgive VT because of what it meant to the band. We might never have heard from any of them again if it hadn't been for that album.

My appreciation, not for the historical significance (which I respect absolutely), but for the musicality has slightly increased this past week. But its simply too ugly for me. Neither the original or the remix sound tolerable to my ears, and I listen to a lot of crazy stuff!

VT has its fans. I think the songs have grown on me. Thr production, the mix, will never satisfy me. Even if they remix the remix.

I like Test for Echo a lot, and There are plenty of good melodies. The chorus to Virtuality has a great melody, as do The Color of Right and Totem just to name a few

I cannot see how anyone could put this album below VT. You?

I can. VT is my #7, T4E #8.