FIFA World Cup 2014: Brasil

Aikenrooster

I mentioned this in other threads here - my issue with Brazil being the host is that we have terrible health system, public safety and education are at an all time low, and instead of improving all those areas, the government decided to spend billions of taxpayer's money to host a WC.

I can understand your criticism then. I would feel the same way.

Why was is it inevitable that they get scored on with 15 seconds left? It's almost as if it was set in stone beforehand. for some reason I was not shocked at all - unfreakingbelievable :facepalm: Edited by alphseeker

The Americans went into total defense mode in the last few minutes which is a big mistake because it invites pressure and gifts chances to the other team making it more and more likely that a goal will be scored against them.

The Americans went into total defense mode in the last few minutes which is a big mistake because it invites pressure and gifts chances to the other team making it more and more likely that a goal will be scored against them.

So it was the 'ole Norv Turner Syndrome :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Aye.

What it looked like was a game of attack and defense. People use it as training idea, one group of 11 players just play defense and the other 11 attack. In these games the attacking team always score eventually.

What USA should have done is just play normal football, ie play the same way that got them 2-1 in front in the first place. It's a like a boxer who starts off boxing normally and then scores a big knockdown and then tries to KO the opponent with a series of right hands. After this he fights the whole fight like this just throwing big right hands all night but never gets another knockdown because that's not how the knockdown came about.

Yes, the US quit attacking after they took the lead. But, Suarez and Messi both came through in their games, so it seemed to be in the script for Ronaldo to do the same.

A few beefs: 1)I like Ian Darke, but he and the other commentator were too pro-USA. Announcers should be objective.

2)The arbitrary "water break," in the first half, with 5 minutes to go, after a USA player hurt his knee, was clearly biased. In fact, the USA got away with several fouls and even got away with a foul that should have been a yellow card.

Do you guys in the rest of the world have to watch ESPN for coverage of the World Cup? If not, is your network biased towards a particular team, like ESPN is of the US?

Yes, the US quit attacking after they took the lead. But, Suarez and Messi both came through in their games, so it seemed to be in the script for Ronaldo to do the same.

A few beefs: 1)I like Ian Darke, but he and the other commentator were too pro-USA. Announcers should be objective.

2)The arbitrary "water break," in the first half, with 5 minutes to go, after a USA player hurt his knee, was clearly biased. In fact, the USA got away with several fouls and even got away with a foul that should have been a yellow card.

Do you guys in the rest of the world have to watch ESPN for coverage of the World Cup? If not, is your network biased towards a particular team, like ESPN is of the US?

I find that the commentators on danish television are very objective.

I have to blame Bradley for the loss. He had a sure goal earlier and blew it and then at the 94:30 mark had that lazy turnover near midfield which he should have easily have handled. On the world's stage you've got to bury that goal.
  • Like 2

Aye.

What it looked like was a game of attack and defense. People use it as training idea, one group of 11 players just play defense and the other 11 attack. In these games the attacking team always score eventually.

What USA should have done is just play normal football, ie play the same way that got them 2-1 in front in the first place. It's a like a boxer who starts off boxing normally and then scores a big knockdown and then tries to KO the opponent with a series of right hands. After this he fights the whole fight like this just throwing big right hands all night but never gets another knockdown because that's not how the knockdown came about.

Don Shula invented the prevent defense, I believe. Just imagine how many wins could have been added to the 347 he had if he hadn't done so.

Aye.

Don Shula invented the prevent defense, I believe. Just imagine how many wins could have been added to the 347 he had if he hadn't done so.

Well in "American" Football it's a bit more complicated. You can't really defend all the time.

Aye.

Well in "American" Football it's a bit more complicated. You can't really defend all the time.

Sure you can. Just call three running plays when you have no running game and you'll be defending virtually all the time.

Aye.

Sure you can. Just call three running plays when you have no running game and you'll be defending virtually all the time.

The Raiders?

Aye.

The Raiders?

The Dolphins circa 1986-1998.

What about these rumors that Germany's Coach Loew and Juergen are very close friends and they may play soft against the U.S. for a draw so that both teams advance?

Scandal and match fixing in international soccer? Preposterous!

• Like 1

What about these rumors that Germany's Coach Loew and Juergen are very close friends and they may play soft against the U.S. for a draw so that both teams advance?

Scandal and match fixing in international soccer? Preposterous!

I wouldn't call it match fixing. It's a natural result of the pool play format. Why play all out and risk a loss?
  • Like 1

Why was is it inevitable that they get scored on with 15 seconds left? It's almost as if it was set in stone beforehand. for some reason I was not shocked at all - unfreakingbelievable :facepalm:

The U.S. Yank wankers are lucky to have gotten out with a tie, considering the pathetic defense that gave up that initial goal by Portugal.
  • Like 1

If this happens, it won't be the first time. Look up West Germany vs Austria in the '82 World Cup.

It's happened before, in 1982 in Spain when Austria and Germany played out a farcical 0-0 draw so both teams could qualify.