FIFA World Cup 2014: Brasil

Aikenrooster

I don´t have an answer to that, Babycat...

Shame about Mexico yesterday, the Duch seemed unstoppable!

Two great duels today, with Europe tackling two African teams. As always I´m going for the underdogs, but with very little hope that either of them succeed today.

Countdown for the German game tonight has already started here. The beer is in the fridge. :) Go Deutschland.

If Germany and France confirm their role as protagonists today, they´ll face each other on the next round. What a game that will be!

I don´t know about the broadcasts you´ve been following, but here in Brazil the journalists go wild on statistics, some of them quite useless. Its common to hear "Ghana has never lost a game on a Tuesday with their second jersey when they score their first goal before the 35th minute of the match", or some other useless data. Are you guys getting anything similar? Yesterday I learned that "Brazil has now eliminated Chile four times. It´s the highest amount of times a team has eliminated another from a World Cup". So what?!!?!?!?

Could someone please explain to me how they know how many kilometers each player has walked/ran during the match. Do they have something in their shoes or do they have cameras tracking each player??

If Germany and France confirm their role as protagonists today, they´ll face each other on the next round. What a game that will be!

I don´t know about the broadcasts you´ve been following, but here in Brazil the journalists go wild on statistics, some of them quite useless. Its common to hear "Ghana has never lost a game on a Tuesday with their second jersey when they score their first goal before the 35th minute of the match", or some other useless data. Are you guys getting anything similar? Yesterday I learned that "Brazil has now eliminated Chile four times. It´s the highest amount of times a team has eliminated another from a World Cup". So what?!!?!?!?

No, but we get that with baseball, and we get that a lot with college sports. "This batter has a .980 batting average against left handed relievers on full moon Saturdays in July."

This automatic two -15 minute periods is bulls**t - If someone has the lead after 1-15 minute overtime it should be over or just make it 30 minutes :wtf: Edited by alphseeker

This automatic two -15 minute periods is bulls**t - If someone has the lead after 1-15 minute overtime it should be over or just make it 30 minutes :wtf:

It ought to be sudden death.
  • Like 1

Can I ask a (probably) stupid question about football? In the UK, it's described as the "beautiful game". Why is that? Why "beautiful"?

The exact origin of the term is disputed. I've always viewed it from the perspective of it being a very simple game with simple rules but underneath it is very complex.

Ways to make "futbol" more popular in America:

1. Penalize diving and fakery, thereby greatly reducing it. How about a post-game video review resulting in yellow cards and fines?

2. Extra time becomes sudden death. It's WAY more exciting to end on a goal than on a whistle.

3. More refs on the field. American football has SEVEN at all times, and they still fail to see some infractions.

4. Only one person on the pitch knows how much time is left in the game? And it's a secret? Put a goddamn countdown clock on the scoreboard. One of the referees can surely handle the duty of clicking it on and off when the ball goes out of bounds.

Also, if a player scores 90 seconds into the added time during the first half, it's recorded at the 47th minute. So what about a goal 30 seconds into the second half? 46th minute? Dumb. Buy a clock.

Can I ask a (probably) stupid question about football? In the UK, it's described as the "beautiful game". Why is that? Why "beautiful"?

The exact origin of the term is disputed. I've always viewed it from the perspective of it being a very simple game with simple rules but underneath it is very complex.

Yes, like chess.

Ways to make "futbol" more popular in America:

1. Penalize diving and fakery, thereby greatly reducing it. How about a post-game video review resulting in yellow cards and fines?

2. Extra time becomes sudden death. It's WAY more exciting to end on a goal than on a whistle.

3. More refs on the field. American football has SEVEN at all times, and they still fail to see some infractions.

4. Only one person on the pitch knows how much time is left in the game? And it's a secret? Put a goddamn countdown clock on the scoreboard. One of the referees can surely handle the duty of clicking it on and off when the ball goes out of bounds.

Also, if a player scores 90 seconds into the added time during the first half, it's recorded at the 47th minute. So what about a goal 30 seconds into the second half? 46th minute? Dumb. Buy a clock.

I find it puzzling why so many people around the world accept America and American culture for what it is, but we seem to have a hard time accepting the rest of the world and their culture for what it is.

Having said that, I don't like diving, either.

• Like 1

I didn't get to see the 2 games yesterday, as I was bringing my wife home and running around trying to get prescriptions filled. Hopefully, I can see most of the USA/Belgie game today, but I will miss the 2nd game.

Uh, what a night. The Algerians gave us a tough time and it seemed that no one will ever score in this game. An awesome fight of both teams but I saw the Germans slightly ahead. France we're coming. :madra:

Uh, what a night. The Algerians gave us a tough time and it seemed that no one will ever score in this game. An awesome fight of both teams but I saw the Germans slightly ahead. France we're coming. :madra:

Impressive first half by the Algerians, but at the end of the regular time I thought "had this game lasted 5 more minutes, Germany would have scored". And voilà, they scored at the very beginning of extra time. It´s a shame that these underdogs put so much effort but end up losing.

Two promising games today, and I´m going for Switzerland and the US.

Brazilian players will have psychological help this week - I don´t know if you guys followed the broadcast during the penalty shootout, but our captain was crying on the pitch, as was the goalie. I think there´s too much responsibility on their shoulders, as no one wants ther careers marked as bein part of a team who lost a World Cup at home.

• Like 1

Poor Mexico.

They played well for most of the game, but dialed it way too far back trying to preserve their one-goal lead.

The Dutch kept coming, and it seemed like a matter of time before they got the equalizer.

FWIW, I thought the Robben call was a good call. Unfortunate that it came so late in the game, but it was the right call.

it was a dive.
  • Like 1

Impressive first half by the Algerians, but at the end of the regular time I thought "had this game lasted 5 more minutes, Germany would have scored". And voilà, they scored at the very beginning of extra time. It´s a shame that these underdogs put so much effort but end up losing.

Two promising games today, and I´m going for Switzerland and the US.

Brazilian players will have psychological help this week - I don´t know if you guys followed the broadcast during the penalty shootout, but our captain was crying on the pitch, as was the goalie. I think there´s too much responsibility on their shoulders, as no one wants ther careers marked as bein part of a team who lost a World Cup at home.

your goalie gave a great interview. Very emotional!

Messi is a one man show. He's so good i think he even mesmerizes his own team by his incredible ball handling. As they said "if only Messi could pass it to himself."

Poor Mexico.

They played well for most of the game, but dialed it way too far back trying to preserve their one-goal lead.

The Dutch kept coming, and it seemed like a matter of time before they got the equalizer.

FWIW, I thought the Robben call was a good call. Unfortunate that it came so late in the game, but it was the right call.

it was a dive.

It was a soft penalty, Robben made the most of it, but it was a foul. Mexican player didn't play the ball, played Robben's foot.

There was a much clearer penalty in the first half that they didn't get.

• Like 1

Holy cow, my respect for the Swiss team. They had a real chance to knock the big favourite out. Too bad!

"Too often the Argentinians look like standing stones waiting for Messi to drag them out of the mire"

:wtf: Even MJ had semi-competent players around him, Messi appears to be all alone.

Edited by alphseeker