What should be Rush's opening song?

yyz211282

I say 2112 in it's entirety because:

1. Frkin awesome song!

2. They only play it Overture/Temples/Finale

3. Has never been the opening song...at least for a while

It’s tough to predict what they'll choose as their opener. I never would have guessed that they would ever open with Tom Sawyer, Limelight or Subdivisions. Those were very odd choices IMHO. I always thought that Analog Kid would be an awesome opener. It’s up tempo and it starts with a punch. For their next tour assuming they choose something they have never opened with before, I think Caravan or Headlong Flight would be great as an opener. (I’ll continue to hope for Analog Kid.)

I would guess they'll open with an overture like on R30. If they don't do that, either TSOR or Dreamline
  • Like 1

How bizarre would it be if they opened with YYZ, no one would expect that. I personally think that The Big Money deserves another chance as opener again, it's been too long. Also, does anyone think that Distant Early Warning would be a good opener?
  • Like 3

1. Frkin awesome song!

I think Overture/Temples is a possibility. They usually only do Finale when it is closing a set or concert. The entire 2112 is a historical remnant. There are just too many songs they need to do now. You'll never see an 11 minute Xanadu again either.

99% chance it is one of these 4 of the Big 5 (If they don't do a medley). TS, LL, TSOR, or 2112. Since Subdivisions opened last tour, no chance it opens the next.

How bizarre would it be if they opened with YYZ, no one would expect that. I personally think that The Big Money deserves another chance as opener again, it's been too long. Also, does anyone think that Distant Early Warning would be a good opener?

Yes.

Open with Tom Sawyer and watch the crowd go insane. Example: Rush in Rio.

Subdivisions, however, was amazing to open with.

The only true concert CLOSER is either Limelight or Grand Finale.

Dog Years. It's got a killer riff, would really get the crowd going.

Going out the door! :laughing yellow guy:

Hit the nail right on the head...x1yyz, not RAA

Edited by yyz211282
  • Like 1

I still think they need to do the geriatric tour. Open with Where's My Thing?, then I Think I'm Going Bald, Losing It, Dreamline, Roll The Bones, Finding My Way and In The End.

Cygnus X-1, of course.

Books I & II.

If they did that (and pulled it off) I'd probably go see every show. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE those songs?! :drool: :blush: :heart: )

1. Frkin awesome song!

While Overture/Temples would be a great way to start the show, doing Discovery so soon in the set will just kill the crowd dead. I know I would get bored hearing something that slow that early and I love the song. Also, for a bunch of 60 year old men to play a 20 minute epic to start the show would probably wear them out real fast. It's a better song to do before the intermission like they did on the T4E tour.

As for the song they should open with, Tom Sawyer. It's the only hit from them i'm tired of live and it gets the song out of the way immediately. Also, it will fire up the crowd a lot to and people don't expect it as an opener. I remember when they opened with it on the Vapor Trails tour, the shocked look on the faces of many in the crowd was priceless.

Yes, DEW would be a great opener. It's one of those songs I think works well anywhere in the set though.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Yes, DEW would be a great opener. It's one of those songs I think works well anywhere in the set though.

I don't think so...that could be the second song though

What if they opened with Tom Sawyer? I mean I'm still sticking with 2112, but why not? Or Working Man? Freewill? YYZ?

Say :yes: or :no: for each

1. Tom Sawyer

2. 2112 in its entirety

3. Working Man

4. Freewill

5. YYZ

1. Tom Sawyer :no:, don't like this song

2. 2112 in its entirety: :yes:

3. Working Man: :no:, not a big fan of this one

4. Freewill: eh, :yes:

5. YYZ: :no:, only because the opener should be one with vocals

I say they should start off with The Spirit of Radio. Judging from all five DVDs, the one in Cleveland had the biggest crowd ovation after the "concert hall" part and I think a decent reason for that is due to it being the opening song.

A great opener. Dreamline was a great opener too.
  • Like 1

I think caravan opens and TS opens second set with TSOR opening the encore.

First few songs

Caravan

Limelight

Seven Cities

Prime Mover

Analog Kid

Entre Nous

Territories

Free will

Big Money

Presto

Fly by Night