Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2009, 01:01 PM)
I had to post about a rather incredible bit of synchronicity I experienced recently.

A wonderful woman began reading my blog, and commenting, and eventually we figured out that we lived only a few miles apart.  She grew up with a brother with autism (he's now 37) and she actually recently came to visit us, and she met Stephen, and may be able to help us out...

So, at one point during our visit, I asked her how she came to find my blog.  She said that a guy whose blog she also reads told her that HE had found it, knew she had an autistic brother, and directed her to it.

I had to find out how HE found my blog.  I went to his, and in the top corner is a picture from the Snakes & Arrows CD booklet.  Whoa...  I wrote to him, he said he was surfing here at TRF, saw my blog link, saw that I was from Alabama, and sent his friend the link.

The last part which is COMPLETELY freaky?  He said, "Remember when you and your husband went to the Rush show in Atlanta last year?  Remember a guy asking you if you were from Alabama?"  I said, "Yes..."  He said, "That was me."

Pretty cool, eh?  Rush brought the guy here, he saw my blog, he saw ME at a concert, he sent a blog link to a friend, who finds me...

That's incredible! Very cool.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2009, 02:01 PM)
The last part which is COMPLETELY freaky? He said, "Remember when you and your husband went to the Rush show in Atlanta last year? Remember a guy asking you if you were from Alabama?" I said, "Yes..." He said, "That was me."

Pretty cool, eh? Rush brought the guy here, he saw my blog, he saw ME at a concert, he sent a blog link to a friend, who finds me...

holy cow! The world is really so very small

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2009, 11:01 AM)
I had to post about a rather incredible bit of synchronicity I experienced recently.

A wonderful woman began reading my blog, and commenting, and eventually we figured out that we lived only a few miles apart. She grew up with a brother with autism (he's now 37) and she actually recently came to visit us, and she met Stephen, and may be able to help us out...

So, at one point during our visit, I asked her how she came to find my blog. She said that a guy whose blog she also reads told her that HE had found it, knew she had an autistic brother, and directed her to it.

I had to find out how HE found my blog. I went to his, and in the top corner is a picture from the Snakes & Arrows CD booklet. Whoa... I wrote to him, he said he was surfing here at TRF, saw my blog link, saw that I was from Alabama, and sent his friend the link.

The last part which is COMPLETELY freaky? He said, "Remember when you and your husband went to the Rush show in Atlanta last year? Remember a guy asking you if you were from Alabama?" I said, "Yes..." He said, "That was me."

Pretty cool, eh? Rush brought the guy here, he saw my blog, he saw ME at a concert, he sent a blog link to a friend, who finds me...

That is borderline freaky weird. What a small world. How does anybody find anybody? It's incredible sometimes. That was a very cool story GG!

So many common bonds.

A wonderful woman began reading my blog, and commenting, and eventually we figured out that we lived only a few miles apart. She grew up with a brother with autism (he's now 37) and she actually recently came to visit us, and she met Stephen, and may be able to help us out...

So, at one point during our visit, I asked her how she came to find my blog. She said that a guy whose blog she also reads told her that HE had found it, knew she had an autistic brother, and directed her to it.

I had to find out how HE found my blog. I went to his, and in the top corner is a picture from the Snakes & Arrows CD booklet. Whoa... I wrote to him, he said he was surfing here at TRF, saw my blog link, saw that I was from Alabama, and sent his friend the link.

That is AWESOME how things fall into place!

The all-mighty power of 2.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Mar 26 2009, 11:03 AM)

A wonderful woman began reading my blog, and commenting, and eventually we figured out that we lived only a few miles apart.  She grew up with a brother with autism (he's now 37) and she actually recently came to visit us, and she met Stephen, and may be able to help us out...

So, at one point during our visit, I asked her how she came to find my blog.  She said that a guy whose blog she also reads told her that HE had found it, knew she had an autistic brother, and directed her to it.

I had to find out how HE found my blog.  I went to his, and in the top corner is a picture from the Snakes & Arrows CD booklet.  Whoa...  I wrote to him, he said he was surfing here at TRF, saw my blog link, saw that I was from Alabama, and sent his friend the link.

The last part which is COMPLETELY freaky?  He said, "Remember when you and your husband went to the Rush show in Atlanta last year?  Remember a guy asking you if you were from Alabama?"  I said, "Yes..."  He said, "That was me."

Pretty cool, eh?  Rush brought the guy here, he saw my blog, he saw ME at a concert, he sent a blog link to a friend, who finds me...

Amen, brother. Now let us all open our hymnals and sing all six stanzas of Cygnus X-1 Book II...

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2009, 04:05 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Mar 26 2009, 11:03 AM)

Amen, brother. Now let us all open our hymnals and sing all six stanzas of Cygnus X-1 Book II...

Absolutely biggrin.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2009, 03:01 PM)

smile.gif Great! That was amazing! 2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2009, 07:01 PM)

The Truth is out there unsure.gif

Seriously though, what an excellent story, and a great round of coincidences.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 25 2009, 02:01 PM)

Very cool cool.gif Gotta love stories like this. biggrin.gif

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

CHOP, Penn research points to genetic link in autism

By Faye Flam

Inquirer Staff Writer

By analyzing DNA from more than 2,000 autistic children, researchers have uncovered the best evidence yet for genetic links to the disorder - all tied to the way brain cells form and dissolve connections.

The research effort, led by Hakon Hakonarson at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, used much larger samples than had been analyzed before to identify genetic differences between autistic subjects and controls.

The CHOP group collaborated with Penn, UCLA, and other institutions, announcing their findings in two papers in today's issue of the journal Nature.

Article: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20090429..._in_autism.html Posted on Wed, Apr. 29, 2009

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090429/twl-au...ed-41f21e0.html

Autism's DNA jigsaw unravelled

Scientists are hailing a major breakthrough in autism research, saying the finding has pinpointed its genetic causes. Skip related content

The breakthrough could be the key to unravelling the condition and therefore identifying possible treatments.

Researchers are likening the finding to a similar breakthrough in the understanding of cancer 30 years ago and have called it a "monumental achievement".

Autism covers a group of conditions, marked by an impaired ability to communicate and interact socially and repetitive behaviour, which affect about one in 150 mostly male children.

Now, three major studies have for the first time identified the jigsaw pieces that cause the condition.

Dr Margaret Pericak-Vance, director of the Miami Institute for Human Genomics, who also took part in the US research, said: "Until now, no common genetic variant has been identified with such overwhelming evidence to support its role in autism spectrum disorders.

"The identification of a common variant for autism is a monumental achievement."

Dr Philip Johnson, chief scientific officer at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, said: "This comprehensive research opens the door to more focused investigations into the causes of autism disorders.

"It moves the field of autism research significantly ahead, similar to the way oncology research progressed a few decades ago with the discovery of specific genes that give rise to cancers."

Two of the new studies were American-led and reported in an early online edition of the journal Nature. The third was conducted by British scientists at Oxford University and appears in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.

yes!

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 29 2009, 08:27 AM)

Scientists are hailing a major breakthrough in autism research, saying the finding has pinpointed its genetic causes. Skip related content

The breakthrough could be the key to unravelling the condition and therefore identifying possible treatments.

Researchers are likening the finding to a similar breakthrough in the understanding of cancer 30 years ago and have called it a "monumental achievement".

Autism covers a group of conditions, marked by an impaired ability to communicate and interact socially and repetitive behaviour, which affect about one in 150 mostly male children.

Now, three major studies have for the first time identified the jigsaw pieces that cause the condition.

Dr Margaret Pericak-Vance, director of the Miami Institute for Human Genomics, who also took part in the US research, said: "Until now, no common genetic variant has been identified with such overwhelming evidence to support its role in autism spectrum disorders.

"The identification of a common variant for autism is a monumental achievement."

Dr Philip Johnson, chief scientific officer at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, said: "This comprehensive research opens the door to more focused investigations into the causes of autism disorders.

"It moves the field of autism research significantly ahead, similar to the way oncology research progressed a few decades ago with the discovery of specific genes that give rise to cancers."

Two of the new studies were American-led and reported in an early online edition of the journal Nature. The third was conducted by British scientists at Oxford University and appears in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.

yes!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 29 2009, 01:27 PM)

yes!

bncegrn.gif what IS it? what IS it? bncegrn.gif

unsure.gif

i'm skeptical and afraid to put hope in this. sad.gif

if i could know exactly what they say they found, i might venture into hope. cheer.gif

but i have met soooo many snake-oil salesmen. wacko.gif b_sigh.gif

why don't they say what they found exactly? confused13.gif

are they afraid someone else will capitalize on their findings? angry.gif

or are they just full of shit? eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Apr 29 2009, 10:42 PM)

yes!

unsure.gif

if i could know exactly what they say they found, i might venture into hope. cheer.gif

The studies found genetic variations that are more common in people with autism. It's significant because it can help with diagnosis and treatment. It's good news, but it's like connecting a couple of pieces to a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

This is not pseudo-science. It's a significant finding.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 29 2009, 10:11 PM)

yes!

unsure.gif

The studies found genetic variations that are more common in people with autism. It's significant because it can help with diagnosis and treatment. It's good news, but it's like connecting a couple of pieces to a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle.

ye, i read that part. i was just looking for something i could consider myself instead of being spoon-fed. confused13.gif

false hope sucks, bro, and there's so much of it out there.

please pardon my cynicism on this topic bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Apr 30 2009, 05:57 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 29 2009, 10:11 PM)

yes!

unsure.gif

ye, i read that part. i was just looking for something i could consider myself instead of being spoon-fed. confused13.gif

false hope sucks, bro, and there's so much of it out there.

please pardon my cynicism on this topic bekloppt.gif

The article points toward 2 publications which one could access if they chose to.

Similarly, I would suspect that Autism organizations would be able to access a more in depth summary for it's members.

you're right! cheer.gif

maybe i won't tho... you know, dig into it further. i know it feels good and everything,

but i need something a little more enticing than a couple of scientists patting each other on the back.

again, i apologize for not investing more in this than a spoonful of skepticism.

but let us know if You decide to. yes.gif chase down those links. 1287.gif

i'll wait for their "findings" to make a difference.

smile.gif

confused13.gif

I'm sorry I posted this article then. I was only trying to help.

If I had time and more knowledge of the subject, I'd hunt it down for you.

My son is doing quite well with his Aspergers in most respects, but I do feel empathy for people who struggle with low performance autism; hence the desire to post news on this. I'm sorry you don't think so.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 30 2009, 07:37 AM)
confused13.gif

My son is doing quite well with his Aspergers in most respects, but I do feel empathy for people who struggle with low performance autism; hence the desire to post news on this. I'm sorry you don't think so.

The genetic links are complex - the very nature of DNA assures that...

This is a real link that could account for 15% of cases - that is significant.

I've been a victim of the snake oil salesmen more times that I can count, and I know the pain false hope causes (anyone who reads my blog knows that).

But this IS real. This, unlike some of the "treatments" out there, is real science, and I'm thrilled.

Thank you, P.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 30 2009, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Apr 30 2009, 07:37 AM)
confused13.gif

The genetic links are complex - the very nature of DNA assures that...

This is a real link that could account for 15% of cases - that is significant.

I've been a victim of the snake oil salesmen more times that I can count, and I know the pain false hope causes (anyone who reads my blog knows that).

But this IS real. This, unlike some of the "treatments" out there, is real science, and I'm thrilled.

Thank you, P.

you're both right, and i'm sorry for raining on the parade. sad.gif

Tim had a bad day at school yesterday and worse day today.

He doesn't freak out like that at home, and I've lost a lot of confidence in his teacher and the para-professionals that work with him. wacko.gif

It's time for a change.