2014 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

A's lose to the Astros...the ASTROS!

.5 back of the Angels. :facepalm:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

And, hey, let's not knock Houston too badly. I mean, they are much improved. They are on pace to only lose 93 games this season. Awful, yes, but an 18 game improvement over 111 losses last year. If they can match that gain next year they can get to a whopping.... .500. ;)

• Like 1

No, I do not like the Cubs, but I do wish they would get competitive soon because I miss the rivalry.

Starting about 2016 or 2017, you're probably going to regret that.

I actually look forward to it. Beating the Cubs these days is about as enjoyable as kicking puppies. I wouldn't mind Chicago not just competing, but making it interesting for the Cardinals (as St. Louis is probably going to be the only other team to consistently compete in the division in the next five to seven years).

Besides... which of these is true of the last time the Cubs won a World Series?

A) World War I had not started

B) The Titanic had not sunk

C) Penicillin had not been invented

D) All of the above

The answer, of course, is "D". In the meantime, the Cardinals have rattled off 27 playoff appearances, 19 pennants, and 11 World Series. There is really nothing to fear from a revitalized Cub organization since they would have to have an incredible run for the next, oh, three decades, to catch the Cardinals on lore and mystique.

And after 106 years and counting, I will be honest, as much as I don't like the Cubs, if they make the post-season, I will pull for them so long as they aren't playing my guys... they are due.

Like I said, it's just not fun anymore!

Who's won more games head to head? Any idea...

Even this year, the Cards are only 7-5 against the Cubs. And the Cubs have outscored them overall. So much for the kicking puppies analogies.

You're not going to hit .330 w RISP every year, you know...

Thanks for making me root for a Boston team :puke: last year.

Edited because I missed a series.

Yes, I am very aware of the fact that over the course of history, the Cubs have the head-to-head series over St. Louis. Coming in to the season it was +30 games for Chicago since the supposed "Modern Era". That is primarily due to the fact that, for their first 30 years, the Cardinals were awful and didn't start their tradition until 1926. By the way, run that number in the last 50 years and it's the Cardinals up +30 - a +60 game swing. But Cub fans can hold on to the lifetime head-to-head record, I will gladly take Lou Brock and 11 World Series! :)

As for the Cardinals only being +2 over Chicago so far this year, I am actually good with that. That last five years have been 2009 + 4 STL, 2010 +3 CHC, 2011 +5 STL, 2012 +3 STL, and 2013 +5 STL. There are 7 games left (4 at Busch, 3 at Wrigley) between the teams this year. It is very likely the Cardinals can end up in the +3 or +4 range again this year and, truly, I think all baseball fans would recognize the Cardinals, who are in a tight race for the division (the play-in Wild Card really does mean you want that division now), playing Chicago 7 times in the last 5 weeks is good for St. Louis, especially since Chicago will likely use September call ups to evaluate for the future.

That said, I do not expect the Cubs to roll over in those 7 games. The reason the seasons are still relatively close with Chicago in a down cycle is the nature of the rivalry. Again, I look forward to the rivalry looking more like it did in the 1980s and 1990s. It is good for the Cardinals. It is good for the Cubs. It is good for baseball.

Plus, a return to the good ol' days of Cards/Cubs, or Cubs/Cards depending upon your perspective, might get ESPN to broadcast some games other than NYY/BOS!

:goodone: :cheers:

Now *THAT* four game series was fun. Sure, I would have rather my guys win 3 of 4, rather than the split, but the intensity of the games (even the bulk of blow out scores really didn't become blow outs until late in the game) is exactly what I want to see from here on out. I don't care if the Cubs have an E number of 14, I want every Cards/Cubs game to be meaningful.

• Like 1

No, I do not like the Cubs, but I do wish they would get competitive soon because I miss the rivalry.

Starting about 2016 or 2017, you're probably going to regret that.

I actually look forward to it. Beating the Cubs these days is about as enjoyable as kicking puppies. I wouldn't mind Chicago not just competing, but making it interesting for the Cardinals (as St. Louis is probably going to be the only other team to consistently compete in the division in the next five to seven years).

Besides... which of these is true of the last time the Cubs won a World Series?

A) World War I had not started

B) The Titanic had not sunk

C) Penicillin had not been invented

D) All of the above

The answer, of course, is "D". In the meantime, the Cardinals have rattled off 27 playoff appearances, 19 pennants, and 11 World Series. There is really nothing to fear from a revitalized Cub organization since they would have to have an incredible run for the next, oh, three decades, to catch the Cardinals on lore and mystique.

And after 106 years and counting, I will be honest, as much as I don't like the Cubs, if they make the post-season, I will pull for them so long as they aren't playing my guys... they are due.

Like I said, it's just not fun anymore!

Who's won more games head to head? Any idea...

Even this year, the Cards are only 7-5 against the Cubs. And the Cubs have outscored them overall. So much for the kicking puppies analogies.

You're not going to hit .330 w RISP every year, you know...

Thanks for making me root for a Boston team :puke: last year.

Edited because I missed a series.

Yes, I am very aware of the fact that over the course of history, the Cubs have the head-to-head series over St. Louis. Coming in to the season it was +30 games for Chicago since the supposed "Modern Era". That is primarily due to the fact that, for their first 30 years, the Cardinals were awful and didn't start their tradition until 1926. By the way, run that number in the last 50 years and it's the Cardinals up +30 - a +60 game swing. But Cub fans can hold on to the lifetime head-to-head record, I will gladly take Lou Brock and 11 World Series! :)

As for the Cardinals only being +2 over Chicago so far this year, I am actually good with that. That last five years have been 2009 + 4 STL, 2010 +3 CHC, 2011 +5 STL, 2012 +3 STL, and 2013 +5 STL. There are 7 games left (4 at Busch, 3 at Wrigley) between the teams this year. It is very likely the Cardinals can end up in the +3 or +4 range again this year and, truly, I think all baseball fans would recognize the Cardinals, who are in a tight race for the division (the play-in Wild Card really does mean you want that division now), playing Chicago 7 times in the last 5 weeks is good for St. Louis, especially since Chicago will likely use September call ups to evaluate for the future.

That said, I do not expect the Cubs to roll over in those 7 games. The reason the seasons are still relatively close with Chicago in a down cycle is the nature of the rivalry. Again, I look forward to the rivalry looking more like it did in the 1980s and 1990s. It is good for the Cardinals. It is good for the Cubs. It is good for baseball.

Plus, a return to the good ol' days of Cards/Cubs, or Cubs/Cards depending upon your perspective, might get ESPN to broadcast some games other than NYY/BOS!

:goodone: :cheers:

Now *THAT* four game series was fun. Sure, I would have rather my guys win 3 of 4, rather than the split, but the intensity of the games (even the bulk of blow out scores really didn't become blow outs until late in the game) is exactly what I want to see from here on out. I don't care if the Cubs have an E number of 14, I want every Cards/Cubs game to be meaningful.

Arrrgggh, that game today was SO frustrating. Horrible outfield play, some bad managing, and not the best of luck. Leaving Wood in to "get the win" when he was being shelled (and then having to yank him anyway) was ridiculous, and then putting a guy who should just be used for mop up in in a tie game in the 8th was another joke (I almost turned the game off when he was warming up. He still almost miraculously got out of it but couldn't make the play on Holliday's shot up the middle.

At least the kids look good (though raw).

No hit the Braves today. A little fun in a dismal season.

"It’s Phillies first no-hitter since Oct. 6, 2010, when Roy Halladay no-hit the Cincinnati Reds in Game 1 of the 2010 National League Division Series at Citizens Bank Park. It’s the team’s first regular season no-hitter since Halladay’s perfect game that same year, on May 29, 2010 in Miami.

It’s the first ever combined no-hitter in the 132-year history of the Phillies franchise. It was the third for catcher Carlos Ruiz, one shy of the major league record (former Boston Red Sox Jason Varitek)."

• Like 3

Jorge Soler just drove in a run with a single, and his slugging percentage went down.

In his 1st 20 ABs, he's slugging 1.200

Where have you gone, my beloved Brewers?

Your fans open their broken hearts to you....woo woo woo

What's that you say, my beloved Brewers?

Your confidence has left and gone away.....hey hey hey

Hey hey hey....

:( :( :(

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Where have gone, my beloved Brewers?

Hey hey hey....

Been a fan of sports since the late 60's,

This happens more often than not down the stretch. A team pulls up their bootstraps or they don't and fade away.

Good luck :cheers:

BTW,

Thank goodness Kershaw was on the mound tonight. :cool:

Where have gone, my beloved Brewers?

Hey hey hey....

They have seen the future, and it is about 90 miles to the south.

Hey hey hey....

This happens more often than not down the stretch. A team pulls up their bootstraps or they don't and fade away.

BTW,

Kershaw was on the mound, at the plate (getting base hits) and running the bases (and getting very lucky).....;)

Hey hey hey....

Easy there, Nostradomus.......your crystal ball is pretty foggy.....:LOL:

Hey hey hey....

BTW,

Kershaw was on the mound, at the plate (getting base hits) and running the bases (and getting very lucky)..... ;)

Lucky? :laughing guy:

Hey hey hey....

Easy there, Nostradomus.......your crystal ball is pretty foggy..... :LOL:

It's not foggy. It might be cracked, though, that home run Soler hit last week against the Cardinals finally came down and broke it...

• Like 1

I think they're a combined 11 games under .500, but every game of the Red Sox-Yankee series has been broadcast by either ESPN or MLB Network.

:facepalm:

• Like 3

I think they're a combined 11 games under .500, but every game of the Red Sox-Yankee series has been broadcast by either ESPN or MLB Network.

:facepalm:

By ESPN, you mean the "Derek Jeter Network", yes?

I get he is a legend. I get he is retiring. But, really, I think we all get it.

In the meantime, ESPN is practically ignoring some really interesting story lines. The Orioles are in serious command of the AL East. The Cardinals are making an impressive surge in the NL Central. The Kansas City Royals... repeat that in your head, yes, the Kansas City Royals... could very well win the AL Central. The AL West has a pretty incredible story in the Angels (and the A's still strong contenders if they can get through the Wild Card).

But, hey, I guess everyone who loves baseball wants to hear about the retiring guy playing meaningless games....

• Like 2

How about the Brewers monumental collapse?

Pirates currently in 2nd wildcard spot if things ended today. We have a pretty favorable schedule from here on out

http://www.baseballflagsandpennants.com/images_products/pittsburgh_pirates_nation_flag_61934sma.jpg

• Like 1

A's now 7 back of the Angels...only 2 up on the Mariners. Losing to the likes of the hapless Astros.

How's that Cespedes trade looking now? :facepalm:

It would be easy to blame the A's collapse on the YoCes trade, but there are many other factors that have contributed to it.

*Coco's nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup. Hell, he was in a hitting slump for weeks before the injuries started to hit.

*Moss forgetting how to hit.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

*Abad's sudden and inexplicable inability to find the strike zone.

*If Lester wasn't in the rotation, Chavez likely still would be, and we would have lost a few more games during his shaky starts.

There are lots of reasons the A's are losing, and I think the tailspin would still be happening if La Potencia was still patrolling left field.

• Like 1

A's now 7 back of the Angels...only 2 up on the Mariners. Losing to the likes of the hapless Astros.

How's that Cespedes trade looking now? :facepalm:

It would be easy to blame the A's collapse on the YoCes trade, but there are many other factors that have contributed to it.

*Coco's nagging injuries that keep him out of the lineup. Hell, he was in a hitting slump for weeks before the injuries started to hit.

*Moss forgetting how to hit.

*Lowrie on the DL.

*Doolittle on the DL.

*Gentry on the DL.

*Abad's sudden and inexplicable inability to find the strike zone.

*If Lester wasn't in the rotation, Chavez likely still would be, and we would have lost a few more games during his shaky starts.

There are lots of reasons the A's are losing, and I think the tailspin would still be happening if La Potencia was still patrolling left field.

I saw the highlights of yesterday's game. Those ninth inning walks are always killer.

• Like 1

I actually cannot wait for this season to be mercifully over. The Rangers have had a nightmare year, record-wise, and now we have lost Wash. It was incredibly painful to see Ryan leave last year, and now this. My heart is breaking into a thousand little pieces!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
  • Like 2