Neil Ranked #3 in Modern Drummer 'Greatest Drummer' List

Jag2112

How can you have Ringo Starr above Gene Krupa, or even on the same list? Here's a classic Krupa-Rich drum battle.

Do think a Starr-Rich drum battle would look like anything like this?

These lists make more sense when the artists are grouped by genre.

• Like 2

i was disappointed no Alan White, much better than Van Halen at least

Holy Buddy Rich

portnoy over bozzio, collins and bruford though? popularity contest, much?

and I love portnoy's drumming, don't get me wrong, but damn.

I'd put Bruford at number one.

For Prog drummers, sure. But not overall skill .

That would be Coulita

I understand their "methods" for compiling these lists...its the same as just about every other award or top 10/25/50/100 list...i agree with the top 3...correct me if I'm wrong, but if you influence a musician like Neil, you deserve your spot. so Buddy and Bonzo are well placed....some others i see on this list shouldnt even be on there...Lars Ulrich? Really? Some of these are certainly a stretch of the definition of "greatest drummers of all time"
  • Like 1

1 Buddy Rich

2 Gene Krupa

3 Max Roach

4 Hal Blaine

5 Vinnie Coulita

6 Billy Cobham

7 John Bonham

8 Keith Moon

9 Neil Peart

10 Terri Bozio

Influence, skill, body of work..

• Like 1

Buddy Rich, no doubt, # 1. Nobody could beat him.

As always, most of the really good drummers are left of “the list.” There are some unbelievable drummers out there that we never hear of… I didn’t see Thomas Lang or Dylan Elise on the list. Both of these guys are up there in the top five. And, Steve Smith at 27? Ever seen this guy play? Unreal chops. And Dave Weckl 22? He should be top five as well. I used to teach drums at the Canadian Conservatory of Music in Ottawa so I know a bit about this.

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again – just because someone is famous does not make them “great.” Examples: Charlie Watts and Ringo. Sorry, but two of the most boring and basic drummers in the world. They both got lucky and joined up with the right group of blokes…

• Like 2

Buddy Rich, no doubt, # 1. Nobody could beat him.

As always, most of the really good drummers are left of “the list.” There are some unbelievable drummers out there that we never hear of… I didn’t see Thomas Lang or Dylan Elise on the list. Both of these guys are up there in the top five. And, Steve Smith at 27? Ever seen this guy play? Unreal chops. And Dave Weckl 22? He should be top five as well. I used to teach drums at the Canadian Conservatory of Music in Ottawa so I know a bit about this.

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again – just because someone is famous does not make them “great.” Examples: Charlie Watts and Ringo. Sorry, but two of the most boring and basic drummers in the world. They both got lucky and joined up with the right group of blokes…

Charlie and Ringo were perfect fits for two great bands, putting them among the great entertainers in rock. That doesn't set them among the greatest drummers, though.
  • Like 2

Hey, I just realized – I didn’t see Tony Royster Jr on that goddam list… that guy was better than most of the drummers on the list when he was 12!

Google it – You Tube. Tony Royster Jr, age 12. You will freak out. And, now he’s about 24 or so. Holy eff.

Hey, I just realized – I didn’t see Tony Royster Jr on that goddam list… that guy was better than most of the drummers on the list when he was 12!

Google it – You Tube. Tony Royster Jr, age 12. You will freak out. And, now he’s about 24 or so. Holy eff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK2RT_9Kri8

THEN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbFJyRC0N0

NOW

Of course, he's no Ringo.

Edited by goose

These are the type of lists that make people claim Neil is overrated. I love the guy, but he is not a better drummer than guys like Steve gadd and Vinnie Coulita .. It's annoying , cause it makes people almost resent Neil

He's the greatest Rock Drummer of all time. He's a bloody good Prog Rock drummer and can knock out a bit of jazz when the mood takes him.

Gadd and Colaiuta couldn't Rock a playpen.

Not so sure about that. Coulita in particular. The guys resume is huge.. I know he played on a Megadeth album a few years back.. The guy is a real chameleon , can play anything

He also played for - and impressed - Zappa. That in itself puts him at the top of the list.