Why Are RUSH Taking So Long A Break?

presto123

Personally, I think they were playing WAY too good over the last couple of tours for them to just drop it that easily. My guess is that they will get restless soon, and at least start writing. We might not see a tour until next year, but I bet we will hear rumblings in the Rush camp by summertime.
  • Like 2

I can't stress enough how constantly being g on the road sucks. I know they make the best of it, but being away from home f***ing sucks. I don't care how many fans you got, missing tour family all the time takes its toll.

I agree if you're on the road constantly. When I (and apparently you) were traveling for music it was a little harder than it is now for them. I was calling my wife from pay phones and sinking $4 in a pay phone to make a long distance call for 3 minutes. These guys have skype (the online look/ talk thingy) pictures they can send. They are not nearly as out f touch as I used to be. Plus I was doing doing it for 12 months, no break. If I had a break I was working to support my family.

Again, I have no problem with them taking a break for as long as they need it but I don't think that the road is as hard on them as it was on us. Don't know you, I'm just guessing.

He's a long-haul trucker.

Oh, gotcha. Well, I still say touring is not 1/10 as hard as it used to be with their money and technology. I know at their age they don't want to work like they did when they were 26 but it's still not nearly as draining as it used to be.

How is this even a serious discussion? Like I said earlier in the thread, they've been around forever..., are there really fans upset by an extended break? Among their peers from that era, Rush is more productive than most.. Hell, they've been more active in the last 15 years than many modern bands.. Tool comes to mind Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

I'd like to see something soon, but only if inspiration strikes. I'd hate to see them do something as mindblowing as CA only to give us another S&A to end their career with. Their next album really has to be unique and definitive for lack of a better word. I think they should just do an EP with a really long song (like 30 minutes) and let that be it.

Hey, Rushchick… I can see why your bank account needs a break! Holy Rush shows all over the place! I hope Geddy was happy to see your breasts (different thread, of course!)

Wow, now that’s a Rush fan!

• Like 1

I love the whole, I know how easy it is for them stuff here...

ridiculous

I'd like to see something soon, but only if inspiration strikes. I'd hate to see them do something as mindblowing as CA only to give us another S&A to end their career with. Their next album really has to be unique and definitive for lack of a better word. I think they should just do an EP with a really long song (like 30 minutes) and let that be it.

I don't think they'll do a song longer than 8 minutes ever again

How is this even a serious discussion? Like I said earlier in the thread, they've been around forever..., are there really fans upset by an extended break? Among their peers from that era, Rush is more productive than most.. Hell, they've been more active in the last 15 years than many modern bands.. Tool comes to mind

seriously, imagine how upset journey or boston fans must be. coming out every year doing their greatest hits summer tours. at least our favorite band puts out new records and doesn't just play the hits. but then again, there are plenty of folks here who consider new rush music and new rush tours a very bad thing.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry either. But then again I'm used to waiting for Tool to do something and that really pushes your patience. ;)

Seriously - it's like waiting for a new Tears for Fears album. Five or more years is somewhat standard.

OP. How old are you?

As people get older, time is perceived to speed up. What might be a long time to you, might just be a moment to someone older.

As an example. When I was a kid, one day (24 hours) took forever. Now that I am pushing 60, one week is gone before I even know it. Then years start to speed by.

The clock continues to spin faster until you spin no more.

• Like 3

OP. How old are you?

As people get older, time is perceived to speed up. What might be a long time to you, might just be a moment to someone older.

As an example. When I was a kid, one day (24 hours) took forever. Now that I am pushing 60, one week is gone before I even know it. Then years start to speed by.

The clock continues to spin faster until you spin no more.

Remember how long summer vacation from school seemed to be when you were a kid? It seemed like forever. Then as you get into your teens it seemed like it's two weeks. Now three months seem like 3 days to me.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I can't stress enough how constantly being g on the road sucks. I know they make the best of it, but being away from home f***ing sucks. I don't care how many fans you got, missing tour family all the time takes its toll.

I agree if you're on the road constantly. When I (and apparently you) were traveling for music it was a little harder than it is now for them. I was calling my wife from pay phones and sinking $4 in a pay phone to make a long distance call for 3 minutes. These guys have skype (the online look/ talk thingy) pictures they can send. They are not nearly as out f touch as I used to be. Plus I was doing doing it for 12 months, no break. If I had a break I was working to support my family.

Again, I have no problem with them taking a break for as long as they need it but I don't think that the road is as hard on them as it was on us. Don't know you, I'm just guessing.

Oh, gotcha. Well, I still say touring is not 1/10 as hard as it used to be with their money and technology. I know at their age they don't want to work like they did when they were 26 but it's still not nearly as draining as it used to be.

I think your missing some elements of why it sucks. It's more than traveling being draining. The nicest hotel still isn't home. Your friends and family may not be around. You may not like the weather where you're at. There's a lot of reasons that some prefer to be home.

• Like 1

The problem is you're looking at this without all the information to have any idea whether there is difficulty or not, mental or physical.

Here's just one example from this statement.

Part of a Q&A with Geddy;

So I finished the tour feeling good. I'm usually kind of dragging my ass home at the end of the tour. This time I felt like, "I've still got a month of gigs left in me." But Alex was done in and Neil has a small child at home. He had to get home. So, that's cool. I understand that it's time to knock it on the head.
Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

ah, but if only that example would satisfy some people here. But it wont. Cause they only consider what they think, and what they want and what they think they know. Even if they have no clue what other peoples lives are truly like. Nor do they care. Just look around, having lots of money makes everyone happy and life perfect
  • Like 1

Hmmm get ready for a bunch of Re-releases, special versions, re-remixes, re-compilations, metal case editions, never seen before package, special blu ray booklet issue, re-remaster mixed tapes, new cover vinyl, collectible figures etc. And all that stuff that we all already have, not need, but we just cant resist to have to buy again
  • Like 1

Hmmm get ready for a bunch of Re-releases, special versions, re-remixes, re-compilations, metal case editions, never seen before package, special blu ray booklet issue, re-remaster mixed tapes, new cover vinyl, collectible figures etc. And all that stuff that we all already have, not need, but we just cant resist to have to buy again

The only stuff I would buy are songs that were never released, or songs that didn't make it onto Atwas, etc. You won't catch me buying fluffed-up, regurgitated material. They have to attempt to really be creative and release something with depth and sophistication. No chance of that happening!

The only stuff I would buy are songs that were never released, or songs that didn't make it onto Atwas, etc. You won't catch me buying fluffed-up, regurgitated material. They have to attempt to really be creative and release something with depth and sophistication. No chance of that happening!

Got my one good eye on youse an' I best not catch you breakin' that oath or you will be forced to turn in yer Rush card.

• Like 1

The problem is you're looking at this without all the information to have any idea whether there is difficulty or not, mental or physical.

Here's just one example from this statement.

Part of a Q&A with Geddy;

So I finished the tour feeling good. I'm usually kind of dragging my ass home at the end of the tour. This time I felt like, "I've still got a month of gigs left in me." But Alex was done in and Neil has a small child at home. He had to get home. So, that's cool. I understand that it's time to knock it on the head.

Again. I wasn't saying that touring is easy, I'm saying it is easier. I'm also saying that I'm OK with them taking a break. I'm in no hurry. I have decades of gloriousness to pass the time with.

:Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

Why make the money if they aren't going to enjoy it?

It has to be very difficult for Neil to be away from his young child especially after what happened to his first daughter. Every day away has to make you feel guilty and that you are throwing away precious time.

Every time they go out I'm actually surprised. They must have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives so it must be tempting to just go enjoy it.

I think spending time on tour is enjoying it. :huh: They're taking a break (well deserved) but the most fun a musician has is on stage. If you still can do it (and they can) they will. Not because they need the money. It is what they love and who they are.

Respect

The only Rush albums I consider in anyway substandard are the three between Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows :finbar:

Fixed for accuracy

Fixed again more more accuracy!

Why don't you all just quit worrying and catch the Dave Matthews Band when they roll through YOUR city THIS summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol