The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

90125 does not suck. That was my gateway. Without it I may not even have become a Rush fan.

Its a solid to great album no matter who's name graces the front of it. Just like Drama.

Owner of a lonely heart was my first yes song.

thank god my cousin intervened when i brought it up with Close to the Edge.

i was about to write yes off as a shitty shitty pop group.

Mick

I fell in love with 90125 immediately. And it remains my favorite Yes album because it is, by far, their heaviest album.

Always thought Big Generator was heavier.

I'm going to have to give that one a listen today, now that you say that.

Imo its underrated. Especially in comparison with everything up until Keys. And then everything after that.

I think you're right. Both good albums though.

I'm actually grateful for the RRHoF existing at this moment in time. I don't think we'd ever see Jon & Rick performing with Yes again were it not for the induction. Geddy's the icing on the cake. Edited by Mr. Not

Also I tend to buy remaster because normally...that just so happens to be the first edition I buy.

Love that you think you have me all figured out. Genius.

Don't be silly. You're far too unique and eclectic to possibly be a "type." How could anyone hope to figure out so complex and sophisticated a person? That is what you're going for, no?

Honestly over this now.

If you want to mock me fine. I am ok with that. You clearly don't know me at all so...have a good day.

Geez. and people wonder why some people stop posting.

it's probably cause of shitty reactions like this to people who DARE have a different view.

I mean wow.

Mick

I know but I don't mind. Just disappointed you can't dislike a popular album without being treated like you're a poser or as someone trying to be edgy.

But oh well.

it's probably cause of shitty reactions like this to people who DARE have a different view.

I mean wow.

Mick

I know but I don't mind. Just disappointed you can't dislike a popular album without being treated like you're a poser or as someone trying to be edgy.

But oh well.

Screw that.

that album STILL SUCKS in my view. big time. but i won't hate on anyone that likes it.

Have a blast with it i say, lol

Mick

I mean wow.

Mick

But oh well.

Screw that.

that album STILL SUCKS in my view. big time. but i won't hate on anyone that likes it.

Have a blast with it i say, lol

Mick

It really doesn't bother me haha. After all I started this thread with joy at discovering a band whose music I love and I have no qualms sharing my interests. I've noticed one's of a certain age don't like having younger ones dislike the albums that they perceive defined their generation.

I mean...im glad it was a hit but that isn't what attracted me to Yes.

I've noticed a lot seem to think I try to be edgy or try to hard...odd really as I post the same as always and I listen to a lot of mainstream music this forum frowns upon. They should take a look at my Facebook page...only edgy if you think cats are the devil's spawn lol

• Like 1

For those brand new to Yes I recommend these in this order: Close to the Edge, Fragile, The Yes album, Going for the One, Relayer and then Drama. After that Tales from Topographic Oceans and 90125. If you like those then just go and buy the rest just don't expect them to be as good. They were a bit of a different animal in the eighties and later but still had plenty of good moments.

Also, I'm glad to see them finally inducted into the Rock and ROll Hall of fame with the help of Geddy and Alex!

I think someone should start with 90125. You always open with your best shot.

Your right. You should start with the best which is why I suggested starting with Close to the Edge which is regarded by most Yes fans as their best. 90125 is a good pop rock album but not a very good representation of what Yes was all about. Anyone who is really into the band understands that.

Like it or not that WAS Yes in the 1980s. Much like Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire WAS Rush in the 1980s. Since then of course both Rush and Yes circled back to the '70 in various degrees in recent times but that doesn't make those other albums any less valid in my opinion.

Just like Rush, Yes has a lot of music different music to explore.

Yeah but 90215 was only a Yes album in name. It was totally gonna be a Cinema album or whatever the hell they were calling themselves. And it sucks.

It is fondly remembered by old men but it isn't the album that wins over new fans

If they called it Cinema, the band's profile would be exponentially less than it is now and many people likely would never have discovered them.

Instead they sold out the name Yes to make their new pop career higher profile, won over the teenyboppers and lo and behold, the age of Cinema came to end and Yes entered the mediaeval period of their careers. Lasted a long long time, left a massive mark on the bands legacy, but took apart the beauty of the classical era before it and took the band on a journey they never recovered from. Just look at their modern era.

Rubbish.

For one, I know several younger Yes fans who dig the Rabin era material, and I've seen plenty of younger music fans on various message boards over the years dig 90125 and/or the other Rabin albums.

Two, it wasn't selling out. Once Jon Anderson came on board, four of the five members were from the classic Yes era, so it only made sense to call it Yes.

If not for the 80s, Yes likely would have faded into nothing and became known as just another 70s band that was great for a short spell, fell apart and was never heard from again.

I think had there career faded it would have been more respectable.

I bet they don't agree. But I also bet they appreciate this type of fan. You guys buy the remasters for the new liner notes.

No I buy the remasters because they sound better than the initial CD pressings.

Sorry you enjoy shite eighties MoR to great, mind bending prog. Normally that's thrown in my face but I'm happy to laugh at you instead.

Glad you find it heavy. Lunacy. What a farce.

Wow.

I love 90125 and although I was a teenager in the 80s, I don't think I fit the "profile".

Moreover, most remasters (including the last few rounds of Yes) sound like absolute rubbish. Way too pumped up, loss of dynamic range. LOUD, IN YOUR FACE.

I call bullshit. Music is supposed to be dynamic. Especially Yes, and that includes the 80s stuff.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

Last night at the R&RHOF Geddy said this is the song that turned him on to Yes. The bass lines are very cool.

http://youtu.be/A_NrBG0FUWA

Alex mentioned Owner Of A Lonely Heart, more than once.

Time And A Word is an awesome album. People dismiss it because Steve Howe didn't join the band yet.

Early Yes (more the first album though) is a bit like early Pink Floyd with the psychedelic influence.

Those first 2 albums are really underrated. Banks was a great guitarist. You can already hear the template for what would follow in the 70s on these albums.

• Like 1

I mean wow.

Mick

Well, these things usually start the same way on a message board. Someone posts an opinion. You have a choice if you don't share it. You can post that you disagree, and tell them why. Or you can say they're a a p*ssy for holding that opinion. If you choose the latter, you really can't fairly claim to be too surprised at where the conversation is likely to go. Or complain about it.

• Like 1

I mean wow.

Mick

Having a different view is just fine by me. I love a good music discussion. But it's hard to have a real discussion with someone who resorts to calling people pussies just cause they like a CD he doesn't. It's like being in high school.

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 2

I like 90125. I think the hate for that album is more an anti-80s, anti-Rabin hangup more than anything. Howe was amazing, but Rabin was too in his own right. Two different styles. But both big contributors to the Yes library. I had the benefit of growing up in the 1980s and knowing only that era for a long time. Much like Genesis, it wasn't until later that I went back and discovered the 70s stuff by both of those bands and realized there was a whole other side that was ripe for exploring and I learned to appreciate the different layers of each period of those groups. Makes for more interesting listening. Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

Who out of you YES fans owns a YES t-shirt? :smoke:

:ebert: Me!

Which one?

Not a "vintage" shirt unfortunately but hell, its still YES. Got it when I saw them perform with Styx a few years back. When Benoit David was singing with them. Basically the Drama line up. I will take a picture of it when I get home and post it. Until then, would you settle for me wearing a RUSH shirt?

11144965_423604174511417_5545811293909956539_n.jpg?oh=dbaa74ec1dcb86a5d17af75de8e15b82&oe=598852D4

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1