The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

Last night at the R&RHOF Geddy said this is the song that turned him on to Yes. The bass lines are very cool.

http://youtu.be/A_NrBG0FUWA

Alex mentioned Owner Of A Lonely Heart, more than once.

Time And A Word is an awesome album. People dismiss it because Steve Howe didn't join the band yet.

Early Yes (more the first album though) is a bit like early Pink Floyd with the psychedelic influence.

For those brand new to Yes I recommend these in this order: Close to the Edge, Fragile, The Yes album, Going for the One, Relayer and then Drama. After that Tales from Topographic Oceans and 90125. If you like those then just go and buy the rest just don't expect them to be as good. They were a bit of a different animal in the eighties and later but still had plenty of good moments.

Also, I'm glad to see them finally inducted into the Rock and ROll Hall of fame with the help of Geddy and Alex!

I think someone should start with 90125. You always open with your best shot.

Your right. You should start with the best which is why I suggested starting with Close to the Edge which is regarded by most Yes fans as their best. 90125 is a good pop rock album but not a very good representation of what Yes was all about. Anyone who is really into the band understands that.

Like it or not that WAS Yes in the 1980s. Much like Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire WAS Rush in the 1980s. Since then of course both Rush and Yes circled back to the '70 in various degrees in recent times but that doesn't make those other albums any less valid in my opinion.

Just like Rush, Yes has a lot of music different music to explore.

For those brand new to Yes I recommend these in this order: Close to the Edge, Fragile, The Yes album, Going for the One, Relayer and then Drama. After that Tales from Topographic Oceans and 90125. If you like those then just go and buy the rest just don't expect them to be as good. They were a bit of a different animal in the eighties and later but still had plenty of good moments.

Also, I'm glad to see them finally inducted into the Rock and ROll Hall of fame with the help of Geddy and Alex!

Your right. You should start with the best which is why I suggested starting with Close to the Edge which is regarded by most Yes fans as their best. 90125 is a good pop rock album but not a very good representation of what Yes was all about. Anyone who is really into the band understands that.

Like it or not that WAS Yes in the 1980s. Much like Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire WAS Rush in the 1980s. Since then of course both Rush and Yes circled back to the '70 in various degrees in recent times but that doesn't make those other albums any less valid in my opinion.

Yeah but 90215 was only a Yes album in name. It was totally gonna be a Cinema album or whatever the hell they were calling themselves. And it sucks.

It is fondly remembered by old men but it isn't the album that wins over new fans

• Like 1

Yeah but 90215 was only a Yes album in name. It was totally gonna be a Cinema album or whatever the hell they were calling themselves. And it sucks.

It is fondly remembered by old men but it isn't the album that wins over new fans

as a Yes fan i personally would be Embarrassed to have that be someone's intro album.

get it off my plate.

Mick

90125 does not suck. That was my gateway. Without it I may not even have become a Rush fan.

Its a solid to great album no matter who's name graces the front of it. Just like Drama.

Owner of a lonely heart was my first yes song.

thank god my cousin intervened when i brought it up with Close to the Edge.

i was about to write yes off as a shitty shitty pop group.

Mick

90125 does not suck. That was my gateway. Without it I may not even have become a Rush fan.

Its a solid to great album no matter who's name graces the front of it. Just like Drama.

Mick

Dude have you listened to threshold?

Melodic prog metal that I actually love haha

• Like 1

Mick

yes LONG LONG ago. they never ignited any spark so i kinda dropped em.

but you never know that's haappened with bands i love now. i may have to go back.

Mick

Mick

but you never know that's haappened with bands i love now. i may have to go back.

Mick

Odd I loved them from first listen haha

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Why do use "haha" so often?

as a Yes fan i personally would be Embarrassed to have that be someone's intro album.

get it off my plate.

Mick

I'm a Yes fan too. From before 90125 came out. And it was a lot of people's first Yes album.

get it off my plate.

Mick

I'm a Yes fan too. From before 90125 came out. And it was a lot of people's first Yes album.

What about this Steve Howe playing a Rickenbacker bass?? Playing you in other words! How did it feel to be played??

Mick

I fell in love with 90125 immediately. And it remains my favorite Yes album because it is, by far, their heaviest album.

• Like 1

Mick

I fell in love with 90125 immediately. And it remains my favorite Yes album because it is, by far, their heaviest album.

did you actually write that or did i just have a stroke?

Mick

Mick

Mick

You should probably call 911.

get it off my plate.

Mick

What about this Steve Howe playing a Rickenbacker bass?? Playing you in other words! How did it feel to be played??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa843_cTqGU

I used to want a Rick because of Geddy and McCartney and Squire. The action is too low for my liking though. They just never felt right.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Why do use "haha" so often?

Coz nearly everyone I talk too seems to think I'm always moody when I post so I try to make it like

HAHA

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

We both had a stroke

• Like 1

Mick

Always thought Big Generator was heavier.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

We both had a stroke

Rabin's work is much more like a traditional rock guitarist's than Howe's.

• Like 1

Mick

I'm going to have to give that one a listen today, now that you say that.

• Like 1

Mick

I'm going to have to give that one a listen today, now that you say that.

Imo its underrated. Especially in comparison with everything up until Keys. And then everything after that.

• Like 1

Well, no. "People who are really into the band," sounds a lot like "real fans," to my ears. Which really means people who reflexively reject anything a band releases that enjoys widespread popularity. Because they think it burnishes their bona fides.

The idea that 90125 is "pop rock," is a stretch, as that term is usually used. You're right it's a "popular" record. That's because people who don't buy different versions of an album for the "new liner notes," bought it.

It is a pop rock album. That is a fact. It was very popular and had a few singles released. There are some prog elements on it but over all it is much more mainstream sounding than the earlier stuff. Does it represent what the band is all about? Hell no. Is a bad album? No, not by any means and I never said it was bad. I'm not sure what your liner notes comment has to anything to do with though. It's actually their best selling album in part because of the exposure it received on the radio with the hits and also with MTV. Yes, people who are really into the band are the real fans. I wasn't trying to be cryptic there. They are both pretty much the same thing. That said there are casual fans and die hard fans. Most die hard fans, with some exceptions, do not rate the album that highly or at least not as one of their very best. That doesn't mean all the big Yes fans hate it but when you compare 90125 and the older stuff like say Fragile, Relayer or CTTE they are different animals. If pop rock or mainstream rock is your thing you will probably enjoy 90125 more. If prog is more your thing(as it is mine)then you will probably gravitate more towards the seventies albums(like I do). That being said I don't dislike mainstream rock, pop rock or arena rock or whatever. I actually listen to a lot of different kinds of music but my main preference is more for progressive bands.

Mick

Mick

We both had a stroke

Rabin's work is much more like a traditional rock guitarist's than Howe's.

Yep and that's not a bad thing. Both are equally great guitarists. My preference is probably for Howe but if I were a musician I would probably rather work with Trevor. I think he's much less of a stick in the mud.

Mick

I agree. The only really heavy track on 90125 imo is "city of love." On BG there are a few especially the title track and "almost like love." I think parts of Talk were heavy too. I think they had a few heavy tracks before then though like Machine Messiah, Does it really happen, Release release, and Gates of Delirium. Maybe a few others too like Yours is no disgrace, Ancient, Perpetual Change and Heart of the Sunrise.