The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

What I love most about Yesmusic is the "emotion revealed", both in Jon's singing & the playing.

And You & I, Perpetual Change, Wurm, Soon, Awaken and so on, these pieces are very moving. Great music, including prog, hits your heart as well as your brain.

Which is why ELP will always be overblown bollocks to my ears. No soul.

Good thread. Needed something to drag me back into MOTS. It's been a while.

EDIT: 90125 is as much fun as is possible when fully clothed. Play it loud.

Very true. I love "some" of their stuff. Karnevil 9 1st Impression Part 2 is one of my all time favorite songs. But for most of their catalog, all I hear is great technical ability.

I think there's definitely a lot of "soul" behind ELP's music...just watch them play, they're clearly having a good time, and what's more soulful than having an orgasm on stage like those dudes clearly were...

I think the first four ELP records are all pretty good, and tarkus and karn evil 9 are some of my favorite prog songs ever. but no, they're not even close to a band like yes. I've never had a moving ELP experience except when I was baked, and for the most part they just remind me of 90s video game music with british vocals. that being said those first four albums are still pretty good listens

• Like 1

What I love most about Yesmusic is the "emotion revealed", both in Jon's singing & the playing.

And You & I, Perpetual Change, Wurm, Soon, Awaken and so on, these pieces are very moving. Great music, including prog, hits your heart as well as your brain.

Which is why ELP will always be overblown bollocks to my ears. No soul.

Good thread. Needed something to drag me back into MOTS. It's been a while.

EDIT: 90125 is as much fun as is possible when fully clothed. Play it loud.

Very true. I love "some" of their stuff. Karnevil 9 1st Impression Part 2 is one of my all time favorite songs. But for most of their catalog, all I hear is great technical ability.

I think there's definitely a lot of "soul" behind ELP's music...just watch them play, they're clearly having a good time, and what's more soulful than having an orgasm on stage like those dudes clearly were...

I think the first four ELP records are all pretty good, and tarkus and karn evil 9 are some of my favorite prog songs ever. but no, they're not even close to a band like yes. I've never had a moving ELP experience except when I was baked, and for the most part they just remind me of 90s video game music with british vocals. that being said those first four albums are still pretty good listens

ELP , IMO, were more technical than any other Prog band of that era...but yeah, the songwriting wasnt as strong as a band like Yes...but man, could those dudes just flat out PLAY..they set the bar quite high for other technical bands that followed..I love Peart, but if you watch videos of Palmer from the early 70s, he was clearly the most technical rock drummmer from the 70s..the dude is just a beast

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 2

Yes Veterans: where do I go from here?

I mentioned earlier I'm never been totally sold on Yes. I do love Close to the Edge, Relayer and -- for different reasons -- 90215. In that order, I'd wager. Fragile is okay, and Tales is tedious. I've slowly begun revisiting these titles (had a difficult time finding them in the basement...that's how often I listen to Yes.)

After I listen to Fragile again for the first time in I think 12 years, which album should I hit next? I've heard no others (except for the kickass track Tempus Fugit from Drama, because somebody included it on a mixtape way back when).

I mentioned earlier I'm never been totally sold on Yes. I do love Close to the Edge, Relayer and -- for different reasons -- 90215. In that order, I'd wager. Fragile is okay, and Tales is tedious. I've slowly begun revisiting these titles (had a difficult time finding them in the basement...that's how often I listen to Yes.)

After I listen to Fragile again for the first time in I think 12 years, which album should I hit next? I've heard no others (except for the kickass track Tempus Fugit from Drama, because somebody included it on a mixtape way back when).

Which one should you go for next? You should go for Going for the One, of course. And The Yes Album. And you might like Big Generator if you like 90125, as it's along those same lines.

Which one should you go for next? You should go for Going for the One, of course. And The Yes Album. And you might like Big Generator if you like 90125, as it's along those same lines.

Going For The One!!!!!!!!

Topographic Oceans hooked me from my first listen...I think you should try that. Wonderful album!

Topographic Oceans hooked me from my first listen...I think you should try that. Wonderful album!

Figures. Not a fan..... :no:

Lol I don't think I am ready to be a Yes fan, but I added them to my list of favourites simply because that one day of discovering Topowhatever Lakes and Relayer was onr of the best days in recent memory. I will venture further, as both Tormato and Close To The Edge stood out as being further gems...as for Going For The One, have yet to really play that. I am sure it is going to be brilliant, as nothing has disappointed me so far...

The Yes Album and then Going for the One.

The Yes Album and then Going for the One.

Or just get Yessongs.

I do love the artwork...Roger Dean is so ethereal, so organic and yet completely otherworldy. I might just buy the artwork and consider the vinyls a bonus...

Granting Close to the Edge access to my life two years ago was perhaps the strongest approximation of a religious experience that I have felt to this point. It is my all-time favorite album.

If and when you approach Close to the Edge, I would recommend listening to the entire album in one focused session. Allow it to unfold, to "happen," so to speak. It's best not to treat it as passive listening, at first. But if you dig Tales... and Relayer then you'll have no problem digesting Close to the Edge--it's not as "difficult" as those albums.

Sorry to sound so hippie-dippie about it, but Close to the Edge is an absolute thing of beauty and wonder. It rests alongside "Supper's Ready" as musical compositions that can still move me to tears.

"Watching the world, watching all of the world, watching us go by." Probably my single most cherished lyric.

• Like 3

Granting Close to the Edge access to my life two years ago was perhaps the strongest approximation of a religious experience that I have felt to this point. It is my all-time favorite album.

If and when you approach Close to the Edge, I would recommend listening to the entire album in one focused session. Allow it to unfold, to "happen," so to speak. It's best not to treat it as passive listening, at first. But if you dig Tales... and Relayer then you'll have no problem digesting Close to the Edge--it's not as "difficult" as those albums.

Sorry to sound so hippie-dippie about it, but Close to the Edge is an absolute thing of beauty and wonder. It rests alongside "Supper's Ready" as musical compositions that can still move me to tears.

"Watching the world, watching all of the world, watching us go by." Probably my single most cherished lyric.

That last line gave me chills dude........ :)

Edit: That's the way I feel about Awaken also. The pipe organ just moves me to another place. Soon also does that to me...

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

remember to get baked too

• Like 1

That last line gave me chills dude........ :)

Edit: That's the way I feel about Awaken also. The pipe organ just moves me to another place. Soon also does that to me...

Yes, "Awaken" is awesome. The pipe organ is moving. But Howe makes some great understated contributions to the song as well. And "Soon" is absolutely gorgeous.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I think I will go listen to Close To The Edge. It's been awhile. :)

:ebert: :cheerleader: .... Enjoy and let me know if its any good or not Edited by Narpsberg
  • Like 1

Thanks for this!

Wow...my initial reaction to Topographic Oceans still reflects perfectly my feelings towards the album.

Far and away the greatest album I have ever heard.

• Like 1