The "Yes" Appreciation Thread: For Those Who Are Just Beginning...

Segue Myles

Appreciation of this band is regrowing!

What a great band!

How many more members have to die before they get into the stupid HOF?

The hall is a joke. But I agree!

I really am enjoying Yes at the moment!

Sorry to say Close To The Edge doesn't appeal to me either the way I feel it should, or as much as others, but I will not rank it low. It is still one of the best prog albums ever! As for Fragile, it went from middle tier to top three for me!

My favourite five Yes albums at the moment are:

5. Close To The Edge

4. Relayer

3. Fragile

2. Going For The One

1. Tales From Topographic Oceans

I was about to say, how have I never seen this thread before? But then it occurs to me that I may have posted in it in the past...I'm not even sure. Anyway, as far as the 'just beginning' notion is concerned- I've only been a significant Yes fan for barely more than a year, so I think that qualifies.

Rankings, rankings...even to pick five of their albums, 'twould make my head spin... :blink:

But I think that list you just posted is solid, Segue! All fantastic records.

• Like 1

I was about to say, how have I never seen this thread before? But then it occurs to me that I may have posted in it in the past...I'm not even sure. Anyway, as far as the 'just beginning' notion is concerned- I've only been a significant Yes fan for barely more than a year, so I think that qualifies.

Rankings, rankings...even to pick five of their albums, 'twould make my head spin... :blink:

Just over a year for me! I enjoy their entire run of albums from the debut to Big Generator, but of course a couple of the albums do little for me (notably Drama).

They lost me after that (although I really enjoy the live/studio hybrid release Key of Ascension).

• Like 1

Well, to be honest- I still could stand to warm up a little more to side 2 of Relayer. The Gates of Delirium is a mind blower, though.
  • Like 1

Just over a year for me! I enjoy their entire run of albums from the debut to Big Generator, but of course a couple of the albums do little for me (notably Drama).

They lost me after that (although I really enjoy the live/studio hybrid release Key of Ascension).

Yeah...I still haven't tackled the '80s stuff at all. Drama, 90125, and Big Generator. :huh:

Oh, I bought Union when it was new, though. :eyeroll: :P

(Yes, I did).

• Like 1

Well, to be honest- I still could stand to warm up a little more to side 2 of Relayer. The Gates of Delirium is a mind blower, though.

Both Related and Close To The Edge as albums fail to captivate me the way the entirety of Topographic Oceans does. No one will ever convince me otherwise to the greatness of TFTO, it truly is the most beautiful, and melodically intricate album, that I have ever delighted in listening too! Maybe it is because in so many ways it reminds me of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, but I also think it is just so powerful in a very unique, abstract and almost spiritual way. (I do not like the use of the word "spiritual" as it implies all the wrong sort of connotations for me, same as when I foolishly say things like "this record is godly", but it does have a unique power that can be likened to a higher level of joy!).

Topographic Oceans belongs to a very small number of records have that affected my deepest emotions on a very intimate level. Karmacode, Unleashed Memories, Dark Passion Play, any Khoma album and too many Springsteen albums to mention exist on the same level for me.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Both Related and Close To The Edge as albums fail to captivate me the way the entirety of Topographic Oceans does. No one will ever convince me otherwise to the greatness of TFTO, it truly is the most beautiful, and melodically intricate album, that I have ever delighted in listening too! Maybe it is because in so many ways it reminds me of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, but I also think it is just so powerful in a very unique, abstract and almost spiritual way. (I do not like the use of the word "spiritual" as it implies all the wrong sort of connotations for me, same as when I foolishly say things like "this record is godly", but it does have a unique power that can be likened to a higher level of joy!).

Topographic Oceans belongs to a very small number of records have that affected my deepest emotions on a very intimate level. Karmacode, Unleashed Memories, Dark Passion Play, any Khoma album and too many Springsteen albums to mention exist on the same level for me.

I HAD to give this a like...and you know that you and I are allies when it comes to the greatness of TFTO (and Miles Davis, for that matter...and other things, too!)...it doesn't affect me emotionally like that, any more than other great music has, too (which is to say that it does, but I don't think quite on the level that you're expressing).

Glad that you've warmed up to Fragile some more. It's been top three for me for awhile.

You know, I'd heard Roundabout for years and years, here and there on the radio, and I always thought, :huh:...it's okay, you know. But listening to it on the album is a whole different experience for me. Another mind blower!

• Like 1

Yeah...I still haven't tackled the '80s stuff at all. Drama, 90125, and Big Generator. :huh:

(Yes, I did).

I remember all the chit chat about how bad...Onion..was, and I have to say: I wanted to prove them wrong, and find greatness.

O my, it was worse than I could have imagined! I do not own any of the post Big Generator albums, and I don't plan too. The Ladder, Magnification and any of the newer children's playtime music albums really make me sick to my stomach.

(Yes, I did).

I remember all the chit chat about how bad...Onion..was, and I have to say: I wanted to prove them wrong, and find greatness.

O my, it was worse than I could have imagined! I do not own any of the post Big Generator albums, and I don't plan too. The Ladder, Magnification and any of the newer children's playtime music albums really make me sick to my stomach.

Hahaha! :LOL:

• Like 1

I HAD to give this a like...and you know that you and I are allies when it comes to the greatness of TFTO (and Miles Davis, for that matter...and other things, too!)...it doesn't affect me emotionally like that, any more than other great music has, too (which is to say that it does, but I don't think quite on the level that you're expressing).

Glad that you've warmed up to Fragile some more. It's been top three for me for awhile.

You know, I'd heard Roundabout for years and years, here and there on the radio, and I always thought, :huh:...it's okay, you know. But listening to it on the album is a whole different experience for me. Another mind blower!

I came to Yes having never heard a single note before, I have been experiencing every release with ears as fresh to the sounds it often feels as if I discovered each release on its release day!

I didn't know where to start, so I picked my favourite album cover from what appeared to me to be the classic era, and within twenty seconds of starting in was crying, and by the end of the last song I was absolutely raw emotionally. I have never, ever felt this way or reacted like that to any album before or since. And the lyrics, for all their hyped up incomprehensibleness, have isolated passages of pure wisdom and drama that only the most observant and sensitive souls could seek to put down.

I honestly do not like Yes anywhere near as much as I do Topographic Oceans as an album! I could honestly lose all but this album for the rest of my life, and I would still regard them as one of my favourite bands.

Funnily enough, Going For The One has Awaken, which leaves a comparably similar impression on me.

• Like 1

I realized that two members of Yes are now dead. The original guitarist Peter Banks died a few years ago. In a strange way, he was mentioned at the RRHOF ceremony that Rush was inducted during the segment about musicians or artists who had recently died.

(Yes, I did).

Always recal Union as being half decent songs. Mostly throwaways. A lot of crap but its not horrible. Like Talk. Ha. I listened to Talk one time and kinda liked it but for some reason its lacking for me as is most of the post Union catalog. The Keys stuff is great though some really great material there. So for Yes for me...

CTTE

GFTO

Drama

TYA

Fragile

Relayer

Generator

KTA

Tormato

Fly From Here

(Had to go back and take them from the bottom category as I can actually listen to both of these mostly straight thru without wanting to vomit)

The rest

Edited by Digital Dad

(Yes, I did).

Always recal Union as being half decent songs. Mostly throwaways. A lot of crap but its not horrible. Like Talk. Ha. I listened to Talk one time and kinda liked it but for some reason its lacking for me as is most of the post Union catalog. The Keys stuff is great though some really great material there. So for Yes for me...

CTTE

GFTO

Drama

TYA

Fragile

Relayer

Generator

KTA

The rest

You consider Tormato "the rest"?...
  • Like 1

I have a complete documentary on Yes. It's a good 3 hours or more in length. It only goes up to 35th anniversary tour (or 2001, can't recall offhand).

I'm in the minority, but I do like 1991's "Union". I know many members of the band hate it, specifically Bill Bruford and Rick Wakeman. Rick said after he played some of it, he threw out of his car window "and it's lying somewhere on a freeway in Florida".

Just wanted to add for the record I love Tormato as many here probably already know. GFTO ties AFTK for my favorite studio album all time... :codger:
  • Like 1

Just wanted to add for the record I love Tormato as many here probably already know. GFTO ties AFTK for my favorite studio album all time... :codger:

I played Tormato today and thoroughly enjoyed it! Of course, I couldn't play it without thinking of my good ol' buddy Narpasta.

• Like 1

(Yes, I did).

CTTE

GFTO

Drama

TYA

Fragile

Relayer

Generator

KTA

The rest

See my updated post. I dont love it but aside from Circus of Heaven theres nothing that bad on it. The outtakes are what make it for me. Very cool stuff but yeah its a cut above the rest with at least 4 classic tracks.

I played Tormato today and thoroughly enjoyed it! Of course, I couldn't play it without thinking of my good ol' buddy Narpasta.

Just think its a cool album and a great mixture of rock, beauty and whimsy... :)
  • Like 1

(Yes, I did).

CTTE

GFTO

Drama

TYA

Fragile

Relayer

Generator

KTA

The rest

See my updated post. I dont love it but aside from Circus of Heaven theres nothing that bad on it. The outtakes are what make it for me. Very cool stuff but yeah its a cut above the rest with at least 4 classic tracks.

That's cool. I love or at least like all of it including Circus Of Heaven. It was the last Yes album I ever bought. Oh well
  • Like 1

(Yes, I did).

CTTE

GFTO

Drama

TYA

Fragile

Relayer

Generator

KTA

The rest

That's cool. I love or at least like all of it including Circus Of Heaven. It was the last Yes album I ever bought. Oh well

I enjoy 80's Yes but I don't really think they did anything truly stellar after Tormato. In fact, GFTO is the last Yes album I find to be absolutely classic.

I have nothing against Drama. Even without Anderson I find it a nice listen.

Still haven't ever heard Drama. :huh:

I went ahead and listened to it a couple times. I thought it was lousy to be honest. Made me happy that Tormato was the last Yes I purchased back in the day. I will say however I do enjoy quite a bit of the 80's stuff even though I don't own any. It's different obviously from the Yes I love and think is "great" but it still has some redeeming qualities...
  • Like 1