Vapor Trails Remix vs Clockwork Angels - you've compared them before, but how do they stack up now??

treeduck

Vapor Trails Remix: The Poll - Part 2  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Vapor Trails Remix vs Clockwork Angels

• The Remixed Vapor Trails is now clearly better than Clockwork Angels
    • Clockwork Angels is easily better than Vapor Trails, remix or not
    • They're about even in my mind, it's a tie!
    • I don't know, maybe I need more time to decide
    • I think they're closer now but Clock Angels edges it
    • I think the gap is wider, Vapor Trails wins by a decent margin, I had them even before
    • I'm not getting the Remix, my previous opinion will stand
    • I like them both, there's no need for a comparison

Well, Clockwork Angels was already miles better than Vapor Trails, and this new remix of VT sucks, so the distance got even wider.

I think your ears are broken, or you have been listening to VT on an old boom box from 1985, with two blown speakers.

Think again. Yes, the remix of VT sounds better from a sonic and mastering standpoint, but the songs were not changed for the better. I like the VT iTunes-only remaster that came out earlier this year the best, so that will likely remain my go-to version of Vapor Trails. It made it sound better than the original, but retained the aggression that was lost in the remix.

retained the aggression that was lost in the remix.

Up to a point, IMHO. If you listen to OLV or CU Remixed, they still punch a lot of punch. The only song that suffers from loss of aggression is Peaceable Kingdom - I was listening to it this morning - but still the bass is totally badas$$.

Well, Clockwork Angels was already miles better than Vapor Trails, and this new remix of VT sucks, so the distance got even wider.

I think your ears are broken, or you have been listening to VT on an old boom box from 1985, with two blown speakers.

Think again. Yes, the remix of VT sounds better from a sonic and mastering standpoint, but the songs were not changed for the better. I like the VT iTunes-only remaster that came out earlier this year the best, so that will likely remain my go-to version of Vapor Trails. It made it sound better than the original, but retained the aggression that was lost in the remix.

unfortunately that iTunes only remaster doesn't seem to be available anymore.

I was wondering about that. I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it. Very disappointing. I really like the Bottrill remix, but I've heard so much about the iTunes remaster that I wanted to compare, especially because I do a fair amount of my listening through my iPhone.

I was wondering about that. I looked for it the other day and couldn't find it. Very disappointing. I really like the Bottrill remix, but I've heard so much about the iTunes remaster that I wanted to compare, especially because I do a fair amount of my listening through my iPhone.

I heard the version on HD tracks is the remastered version but I don't know how we can be sure.

I heard the version on HD tracks is the remastered version but I don't know how we can be sure.

The HD Tracks version is remastered by VanDette as the iTunes ones were. http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/05/15/3638/Rush-remastered-album-collections-available-on-HDTracks.com-physical-format-coming-soon

• Like 1

I picked "dont know," but have to say Im surprisingly really enjoying the VT remix. Its much easier to listen to, and has prompted me to listen to some songs I never really focused on the first time around, like Nocturne and Freeze. And my favorite songs on the album: Earthshine (one of their very best tunes of all time), Secret Touch and Ceiling sound great.

Think Im enjoying it more than when I first heard CA, to be honest...

I've still not heard the VT Remix yet, so I can't comment.

You know the albums, you know songs by now, so does the VT Remix change your opinion? Does VT now beat out Clockwork Angels? Does it close the gap, does it open up a bigger gap?

Have at it... :hail:

Not to be rude, but how does a Rush fan, who posts on a Rush forum, not have Vapor Trails Remixed yet? It blows my mind!

One who hasn't got around to it yet!

I guess there are really different levels of Rush fans. Personally, since 1984, I had to have every new album the moment it came out!

Well it's not really me not getting around to it actually, it's amazon who haven't sent it yet. All I can do is wait it out. :hail:

you Rush fraud.

:LOL:

Yeah, treeduck if you were a *real* fan you'd swim (or paddle, as appropriate for a duck) the pond to pick up a copy. ;)

I'll help you out though. Swim as far as Newfoundland and I'll meet you there. Good rum, too. :madra:

ETA: I voted CA over any VT. CA is my favourite Rush album.

Edited by CygnusGal
  • Like 1

The first version of Vapor Trails was probarly Rush worst album, so then Clockwork Angels was better.

But then Vapor Trails Remixed came out, and it made such a huge different, now Vapor Trails Remixed is one of my favorite Rush albums after the 70s.

Secret Touch is my favorite song.

Dont get me wrong, I still love Clockwork Angels as a album, but the mixing was kinda bad, so that kinda destroy the album a bit.

Much as i hate the content.......the remixed VT is far better then the sludgy headache inducing mess that is CA. Now we must have a CA remix. At least CA actually has a number of tunes I like. With VT they remixed a class A piece of shit.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Much as i hate the content.......the remixed VT is far better then the sludgy headache inducing mess that is CA. Now we must have a CA remix. At least CA actually has a number of tunes I like. With VT they remixed a class A piece of shit.

Mick

If you want a better quality of Clockwork Angels, then I recommend you to buy the Clockwork Angels Vinyl, in that vinyl, its a code, so that you can download the album in Flac or Mp3 to your computer, and those songs sounds much better then the CD! Its like a another album! :o

• Like 1