Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

I like the clean sound, just not the added changes. The fadeout on "Out of the Cradle" was better with Geddy's vocal "endlessly rocking" which is not in the new mix. That should have stayed in.

IMHO the remix was a terrible idea. should of left well enough alone and focused on something else. admit your mistakes and move on.

then again in terms of a quick cash in with minimal effort the remix was just what the doctor ordered.....

i have already read elsewhere people saying that Clockwork Angels needs to be remixed now to correct its flaws.

I may be missing something, but I'm not sure how exactly this is a "quick cash in". I would think that the money that goes into redoing, repackaging and promoting this CD would far outweigh any profits the band would make. Yes, all of here will buy, but I don't see the masses lining up to make it a best seller.

Again, I may be wrong

Clem

IMHO the remix was a terrible idea. should of left well enough alone and focused on something else. admit your mistakes and move on.

then again in terms of a quick cash in with minimal effort the remix was just what the doctor ordered.....

i have already read elsewhere people saying that Clockwork Angels needs to be remixed now to correct its flaws.

I may be missing something, but I'm not sure how exactly this is a "quick cash in". I would think that the money that goes into redoing, repackaging and promoting this CD would far outweigh any profits the band would make. Yes, all of here will buy, but I don't see the masses lining up to make it a best seller.

Again, I may be wrong

Clem

well my point is its old material so from my perspective its a quick cash in with the emphasis on minimal effort. i can't imagine they would go through the trouble of remixing this if they did not think it would be profitable.

i can't think of another instance where i have been sold a product that essentially has been labeled as defective by the manufacturer and then asked if i would like to buy it again?

i also think this is the first time that rush has caved in to popular opinion.

for the record i like VT more that CA or S&A. i like the aggression and in particular the lyrics. if i want sonic perfection i turn to my second favorite band, Steely Dan.

May be their new redo will involve removing those filthy keyboards from those otherwise fine discs from the 80's........... :smoke:

Again, I may be wrong

Clem

..and the cd is a nice price as well

i can't think of another instance where i have been sold a product that essentially has been labeled as defective by the manufacturer and then asked if i would like to buy it again?

You mean other than every product in the history of capitalism that has had more than one model?

no more like a painting or a sculpture. its art not a material good.

You mean other than every product in the history of capitalism that has had more than one model?

no more like a painting or a sculpture. its art ( mass produced ) not a material good IMO.

double posted but let me finish by saying its just my take and obviously and unpopular one at that. if the new remix appeals to you, its all good.

Edited by tangy

You're the one that used the "defective by the manufacturer" metaphor. What exactly is your point then?

Your current copy of Vapor Trails seems to work just fine. What's the problem? If you like your current iPhone, you don't have to upgrade to a new version. Why is having an alternative version of Vapor Trails a bad thing? There was no down side to remixing it, which has always been inevitable.

You're the one that used the "defective by the manufacturer" metaphor. What exactly is your point then?

Your current copy of Vapor Trails seems to work just fine. What's the problem? If you like your current iPhone, you don't have to upgrade to a new version. Why is having an alternative version of Vapor Trails a bad thing? There was no down side to remixing it, which has always been inevitable.

honestly, after a few minutes of thought i realized i am trying to have it both ways above by saying its a defective material good and art. i am being inconsistent.

the defective comment comes from the interview i read with ged basically owning up to the defects and flaws in the original and saying we were rush learning to be rush again or something to that effect. its not like VT was recorded with substandard or out of date equipment. they just effed it up. your point is valid as well that no one is forcing me to buy it and there is nothing wrong with the boys cashing in as much as they can.

to me VT remix or otherwise is old old news. imperfect as it was i say leave it alone and move on to something new.

its a slippery slope arguement. if VT was bad enough to remix whats next? surely there are room for improvements elsewhere?

beside now that Rush has been inducted into the hall of fame and VT has been remixed what else can people bitch about now?

I finally succumbed and went on the RS stream.

Better but not brilliant.

Yes, the mixes are vastly improved. The material is still the material.

Yeah. It's like, now that we can really hear the songs better, I kinda want the distortion and compression back.

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

Ummm, how many times has Rush (or their record company) released remastered editions ?

Or how many times have you bought the "same" thing more than once ?

Some people are acting like this is a new thing.

I have 4 versions of Moving Pictures for example. 2 Vinyls, original CD, reissued deluxe CD

Don't want the new VT ? Don't buy it. Download it. Whatever. But stop acting like this isthe first time Rush rereleased something or that you will be buying a different version of something you already own.

• Like 1

It's the business. Look at the Who - how many freakin' reissues and compilations have the Who released?

Rush felt the material they put their heart and soul into didn't get justice. It's not like the re-recorded Hempisheres so Geddy can sing the songs in the correct key and pitch.

Ummm, how many times has Rush (or their record company) released remastered editions ?

I have 4 versions of Moving Pictures for example. 2 Vinyls, original CD, reissued deluxe CD

Don't want the new VT ? Don't buy it. Download it. Whatever. But stop acting like this isthe first time Rush rereleased something or that you will be buying a different version of something you already own.

There is a difference here, though. The band admitted they f*cked up and admitted that songs don't sound as they were intended. You're comparing apples and oranges by that rationale. I am going to buy the remix, but it still feels a little wrong that l have to pay again for something that wasn't right to begin with.

I finally succumbed and went on the RS stream.

Better but not brilliant.

Yes, the mixes are vastly improved. The material is still the material.

Yeah. It's like, now that we can really hear the songs better, I kinda want the distortion and compression back.

:laughing guy:

It's like a shitty stick. You wipe the shit off, it's still just a stick.

There is a difference here, though. The band admitted they f*cked up and admitted that songs don't sound as they were intended. You're comparing apples and oranges by that rationale. I am going to buy the remix, but it still feels a little wrong that l have to pay again for something that wasn't right to begin with.

You are in fanboyland now. Your rationale applies perfectly for anything that isn't Rush. But it is Rush so they get a pass here.

The only difference is the explicit vs. implicit rationale that they feel they are putting out a better product.

The only difference is the explicit vs. implicit rationale that they feel they are putting out a better product.

But those self-same people released the album in the first place.

It's the business. Look at the Who - how many freakin' reissues and compilations have the Who released?

Rush felt the material they put their heart and soul into didn't get justice. It's not like the re-recorded Hempisheres so Geddy can sing the songs in the correct key and pitch.

Meowwww!

Yup. Just like they released EVERY album that they re-released. And re-re-released.

You weren't under any obligation to buy them then or now.

Meowwww!

Do I look like a cat to you? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree?

Yup. Just like they released EVERY album that they re-released. And re-re-released.

You weren't under any obligation to buy them then or now.

Again. The band have admitted that the original release of VT was faulty. Thy product is only better in the sense that it isn't broken. It's cheap minced beef to the original's horse meat. Lots of people convinced themselves they liked the taste of the meat in their lasagne until they realised it was horse and not beef.