Vapor Trails Remixed up on Rolling Stone Website

Joesaracer

So, for all of you that have ALWAYS loved this album (I never could understand why, but I honestly respect your opinion), what is your overall take?

Is it "much better"?

Or is it "ruined"?

Clem

PS - After listening to this just once, I am now convinced that there is a God :)

I have always loved the SONGS and the PERFORMANCES but the fact I got aural fatigue everytime I tried to listen to it made it impossible to enjoy fully.

That being said I LOVE what I've heard so far. I know that even tho the stream sounds decent it's still not a high quality product so I'm waiting until I get the disk in my grubby little hands to pass a final grade on it but today I LOVE IT!

Exactly...I didn't necessarily hate the songs, per se but it was the overall crap sound that turned me off so. Pretty much the same with HYF

VT sound like sh*t before and although I enjoyed the "music" it was so trashed in the overdriven din of noise that I avoided it like the plague. The new mix is crankable, I like my Rush "crankable"!

BIG thanks for this remix.

• Like 1

After listening to this twice, there is no question that this mix is amazing. I had some of the initial thoughts of the critical views here, but on second listen, this is so refreshing to listen to. The clarity is beautiful. Like i never heard these songs. And yes, Sweet Miracle has keys in it.

Ok, the Studio albums from 1989-2007 just came up on Spotify. If I pick the songs, there, off of Vapor Trails, that should be the remix version right and not the original? Edited by Anguyen92

Ok, the Studio albums from 1989-2007 just came up on Spotify. If I pick the songs, there, off of Vapor Trails, that should be the remix version right and not the original?

I wouldn't think that this is what you're looking for. Spotify probably wouldn't have it until 10/1 (if then). Does it have a pic of the album? Since the new cover is very different (colors), I would think that would be the indicator. Clem

So far, the only song that, to my ears, DOES NOT benefit from the remix is Peaceable Kingdom. I find it weak, so polished up and with the single voice up front. I think that song needs the sonic chaos of the original, and the multiple voices underlying the "we" of the lyrics. Seems to me it has lost a lot of punch. What do others think?

So far, the only song that, to my ears, DOES NOT benefit from the remix is Peaceable Kingdom. I find it weak, so polished up and with the single voice up front. I think that song needs the sonic chaos of the original, and the multiple voices underlying the "we" of the lyrics. Seems to me it has lost a lot of punch. What do others think?

I think it sounds good and breathes more. the original was too thick and dense. IMO :)

I agree with that. There was a claustrophobic feel to the original that's now gone. The new open and airy mixes work fine for the other songs, but not so much for this one.

That song and the added solo to Ceiling Unlimited are the two big regrets for me.

• Like 1

Ok, the Studio albums from 1989-2007 just came up on Spotify. If I pick the songs, there, off of Vapor Trails, that should be the remix version right and not the original?

I wouldn't think that this is what you're looking for. Spotify probably wouldn't have it until 10/1 (if then). Does it have a pic of the album? Since the new cover is very different (colors), I would think that would be the indicator. Clem

The Pirate Bay version is the ITunes version at 320!!!!! Much better sound

The Pirate Bay version is the ITunes version at 320!!!!! Much better sound

Not that we want to encourage people to illegally download a copyrighted studio album....

I agree with that. There was a claustrophobic feel to the original that's now gone. The new open and airy mixes work fine for the other songs, but not so much for this one.

That song and the added solo to Ceiling Unlimited are the two big regrets for me.

are you guys noticing in the jam section of Secret Touch, that chordy type lead guitar is missing (at the 2:42 mark)? I can't imagine why they would remove that. There's really nothing else going on there.

are you guys noticing in the jam section of Secret Touch, that chordy type lead guitar is missing (at the 2:42 mark)? I can't imagine why they would remove that. There's really nothing else going on there.

Let the moaning begin-----geez :facepalm:

I already said I was stoked with the remixes, but I do I have a couple of nitpicks. I am allowed to discuss them no?

Chill man, this is just positive criticism, and in good fun!

I already said I was stoked with the remixes, but I do I have a couple of nitpicks. I am allowed to discuss them no?

Carry on

I see what you mean, still I feel like it's a breathing moment. It might sound empty, but on the other hand is a breath of air before the ordeal. It's ok I guess.

The one thing that this remix did is make it sound a LOT like bands like Angels & Airwaves and Silversun Pickups. I don't consider this a negative per se (since VT came first), but it is a bit cringe inducing to hear this cleaned up opening riff to Earthshine and be like "woah, this is exactly what the beginning of

by Silversun Pickups sounds like". And the opening drums of Nocturne has that same effect that bands like Angels & Airwaves use

Again, not a knock since Rush did it first, but making it all sound cleaner just kind of emphasizes the resemblance.

All things considered, I kinda like the new solo in CU... what I DON'T like is putting the chours voice over the bass solo AFTER Alex's showoff.

Not sure why they did that! I love the guitar solo too, but would have liked the bass solo to have remained prominent. The bars where the vocals originally were have a less flamboyant bass line.

• Like 1

If they tour again. The new "Ceiling Unlimited" has to be in the setlist.

They'll play it the same way though, and there's no Paul Northfield and his brick wall in the arena so how will it sound different?

The remixed version has a new guitar solo in it.