Best concert you have ever seen? Also, best concert experience?

hobo73

Not sure what my favorite concert was. Maybe The Moody Blues in 1986 with 'Til Tuesday opening.

Favorite memory?

Other than going to opening night on the Clockwork Angels Tour a few blocks from my house?

At the Moodies in '87, I think. Ray Thomas was doing his long flute solo in Legend of a Mind, and I got my 5 friends to scream "RAYYY!" in unison. It just happened to hit at a time he was taking a breath. Our seats were pretty far back, but I swear I saw Ray flinch and glance up. A few years later, the Legend of a Band video came out and Ray explained how their 1980s hits had brought them a new generation of fans, and that he was being screamed at for the first time since the early days.

I think he was talking about me!

Edited by sitboaf

Midnight Oil at the Avalon in Boston. I was at the front, about 3 feet away from Peter Garett's 6-11" going nuts to all kinds of awesome songs from Redneck Wonderland, Power and the Passion, No Time for Games, Hercules... What an amazing live band they were.

http://therawgallery.com/en/wp-content/uploads/PM-MidnightOil011.jpg

One of my favorite bands and one I've never gotten to see. :cheers:

RUSH. Hands down, best concert and best experience was on this leg of the CA tour...front row. Geddy and Alex both acknowledged my enjoyment (during Alex's :smoke: bit in Tom Sawyer he laughed at my friend and me...as if he knew) ...locked eyes with Neil a few times...as a drummer, that feels amazing...all around awesome experience (even then 8 hour drive to Nashville).

I've been to so many other shows, its hard to nail down what has blown me away

Had some good luck with meeting other bands and things like that. At Jazz Fest a few years back I ended up making friends with a camera operator who admired my dedication for waiting 9 hours in the same spot for Dave Matthews Band...Right before they did their encore he handed me his media credentials and i got to stand side stage for the encore as well as meet the guys in the band afterwards...10 shows later I got to meet them again at Hangout Fest...that festival was an amazing experience...but thats a whole other story for a more drug induced thread ;)

• Like 1

Midnight Oil at the Avalon in Boston. I was at the front, about 3 feet away from Peter Garett's 6-11" going nuts to all kinds of awesome songs from Redneck Wonderland, Power and the Passion, No Time for Games, Hercules... What an amazing live band they were.

I saw them once (or twice?) in San Francisco in the late 80s. What a fabulous live band they were. Midnight Oil is right up there in the best live bands I've seen.

You know who was SO FRIGGIN' AMAZING? U2, circa 1984. One of the two best live bands I've ever seen. The rapport Bono had with the crowd was incredible. They may not be the musicians Rush are, but they certainly played with a passion.

The Replacements - The Ritz June 26, 1986. It was Bob Stinson's last show with the band.

f**k. That is cooler than a snowman's balls.

:yes:

Best concert? The Beastie Boys in 87 with Fishbone was pretty intense. Front row for R30 was awesome. And I remember the guys being on fire at the UC during Vapor Trails.

Best experience? Last June when I took my 9 year old daughter to see the CA tour with me. I never thought Rush is something I would be able to share with my kids. :)

That's awesome! Looking forward to bringing my daughter to as many shows as I can ;)

raising her right!

Midnight Oil is pretty rockin'!!

Every now and then I'll start singing "Beds Are Burning" and imitating the vocals if it gets too quiet in a room- gets people talkin' LOL >.<

The Replacements - The Ritz June 26, 1986. It was Bob Stinson's last show with the band.

f**k. That is cooler than a snowman's balls.

My friend and I were as inebriated as the band. As I remember it, it was a ramshackled show, mostly cover songs, with on-stage pranks, the audience mostly being the butt of the jokes. I distinctly remember Paul and Tommy school boying a member of the audience they invited on-stage. The most vivid musical moment was the worst cover of "Mississippi Queen" I have ever heard. I didn't know it was Bob Stinson's last show until several years ago when my friend pointed it out to me.

That's sounds awesome. My buddy just went up to to Toronto to see them on the reunion tour.

Love the Mats.

I caught a drum head from Vinnie Paul of Pantera.. It was a beautiful flying , airborn leap a couple rows ahead of me.

Drumhead was signed .. " Boston rocks.. Eat pussy.. Smoke Weed.. Vinnie Paul " ..

I also just recently snagged a pick tossed by one of the guitarists in Ghost..

• Like 2

I'm wasted and in a major Black Sabbath mode.

Seeing Ozzy with Black Sabbath last night is up there. No Bill Ward but the RATM drummer was kick ass.

Nothing will touch seeing Rush in 1984 when I was 16.

Saw Van Halen in 1984 too. EPIC

Pete Townshend at The Fillmore.

The Who and The Clash at Day On The Green in Oakland. 1982. My first concert. I was fuckking 14.

• Like 3

Oh and the fist concert I saw .. Second row , AC/DC .. 1986.. Worcester Centrum.. Anyone from mass, knows the Centrum was THE place to see arena shows back in the 80s
  • Like 2

I would have loved to see them in late 80s. A couple more I've remembered:

I saw joe satriani (with Hamm on bass) just after surfing got released. Really small show at a place in St pete called Jannus landing (now Jannus live). Just a couple hundred guitar players and a few girlfriends in attendance.

Also saw night ranger right when dawn patrol got released in st pete. Same crowd as satriani since the hype was all about gillis touring with Ozzy.

I can't recall all the details, but I saw Living Colour at a club in Worcester mass, called Ralphs... Maybe 93? Was a surprise gig.. Place was a madhouse

Also, Anthrax at a club out in Leominster mass... 03 I believe.. Was funny cause Anthrax clearly had no idea where they were.. Leominster is a small city about an hour west from Boston..

And I want to add that Charlie Benante is a powerhouse of a drummer.. In a small club setting like that, standing off to the side of him, the guy was just killin it.. I think he's underrated

Edited by Xanadoood

I've been lucky enough to see quite a few of my favorite bands so far, in my relatively young age, so it's tough to choose a "best" concert.

As far as experiences go, I still have a buzz from my "souvenier moment" from my most recent Rush show. I was in the 200s section of the Sleep Country Ampitheater and got a shirt from Neil's cannon. Totally unexpected because we were so far back, but even with a decent buzz going I swooped up the green object with lightning speed and sugical precision. That shirt is one of my most prized possesions.

Oh, and another great experience was flying down solo to see Rush in Dallas last year when they were filming the CA Tour video. That was the first time I've ever traveled anywhere alone. I planned it out and everything went off without a hitch. Before the show I went and got some real deal Texas BBQ. Then later as I got to the AAC (I think its called) I saw the group of dudes that I've seen in the front row of other Rush shows wearing the red jumpsuits trying to teach a busker to play YYZ on his sax (he couldn't quite understand the time signature). The energy in and around the venue even before the show was electric. Then I got to my seats which were way the f*k up in the nosebleeds, but the front row of the section. The people around me were mostly "casual fans" and I was thinking they are gonna hate me. They did. When the opening notes of Subdivisions sounded I jumped up and rocked out. By the first chorus the guy behind me said something to the effect of, "are you gonna stand the whole show?" I wanted to tell him to f*ck off cause I spent 3 weeks pay just to be at that show, but I politely sat down for the rest of the song. After Subdivisions was over I got up and quickly manuvered down the narrow passage in front of middle aged, fat casual fans and found an empty seat up a few rows right next to the doorway to the section where I was not blocking anyones view. Yes, I did stand for the whole f*cking show! I think I was the only one in the upper level who did.... http://photos.rush.com/Rush2012/Dallas/26791633_KKNnj6#!i=2243304479&k=FdzH4vb

This illustrates my point. A little wheres waldo for ya... I'm actually pretty easy to spot.

I had been a giant fan of them for about 11 years before I was finally able to see them 4 times from late 2001-2002. That Avalon show was only a couple months after 9/11 and Pete made a big speech about how they wanted to make special efforts to fly to the U.S. all the way from Australia because a lot of other big bands at that time were cancelling shows left and right. It got a huge "YEEEAAAH!!!!" from all of us as you can imagine. I was on Martin's side right in front of Pete.

During a break between one of the songs I screamed "PLAY LUCKY COUNTRY!!!" and he heard me and kind of giggled it was funny haha. At a later show I went to in Philly they actually DID play Lucky Country so I like to pretend I had something to do with that. The show was so great- I wish there were some sort of a bootleg for it somewhere out there but alas even on a good bootleg site they don't even list all the songs they played that night for the show.

This isn't in the right order, but IIRC the set was something like this. What made this special is they played a few songs that would later be on Capricornia (wasn't released yet).

Redneck Wonderland

Stars of Wurburton

King of the Mountain

Sometimes

Hercules

Capricornia

Lurjita Way

Golden Age

No Time For Games

Power and the Passion

Short Memory

Truganini

Dreamworld

Say Your Prayers

Beds are Burning

Blue Sky Mine

Rob had the big metal washbasin thing on his drums, and he played it a bit during the solo in Power and the Passion, it was pretty funny. No Time for Games was played at a bit more than half speed so I didn't immediately recognize it. And of course I didn't expect them to play something from 1980 either! I caught a drumstick at the end of one of the songs and still have it. (It was a bit beaten up, kind of thin maybe a 7B or so, and has shiny red "Midnight Oil" with the hand symbol on it painted on) When the show was over and everybody was filing out some guy saw the stick and offered me $20 for it. I said (respectfully) "No f*ckin' way, sorry!". No way in hell I'd ever sell a drumstick from Rob Hirst to me at my first Oils show. I still have it up on my computer desk at my house. I own an electronic drumset now but I'll never actually use it to play them- what if I break it??? Another guy was complaining that they didn't play anything off BREATHE, if you can believe that.

Sorry for the big post, somebody might like the story!

The best rock concert I've ever seen is Rush. Several different Tours. (2nd Place = Eric Clapton with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Robert Cray)

Best experience: Taking my niece to the Time Machine Show in Milwaukee. She was flabbergasted by the great seats....

The best overall musical concert I've ever seen is the Minnesota Orchestra performing Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 in D Minor (The Chorale). Full Choral group singing in German. I truly believed that I was in the company of the musical gods..... :o :o

Midnight Oil is pretty rockin'!!

Every now and then I'll start singing "Beds Are Burning" and imitating the vocals if it gets too quiet in a room- gets people talkin' LOL >.<

Beds are Burning is a great song but IMO they have much better songs in their catalog. It's also not a very good showcase of how good Peter Garret can actually sing. Here's some other ones you might like but might not have heard about:

Progress, U.S. Forces, No Reaction, Sleep, Is It Now, Scream in Blue, Read About It, Wedding Cake Island (instrumental), Someone Else to Blame, Best of Both Worlds.

Damn, the Avalon. I've seen many a good band there over the years.

Best concert: King Crimson, Indiscipline tour. Outdoor venue, dead center, about 15 rows back. Pristine sound, especially for outdoors. Fripp, Belew, Bruford, Levin. Thank you very much.

Best concert experience: Rush, Moving Pictures tour. I had just gotten into them with Permanent Waves, and this was my first time seeing them, and I finally got to see how they made all that racket.

• Like 2

I would have to say the very first Moody Blues concert I went to in October of 1971. I thought I had died and gone to heaven being there.

A close runner up would be the Who Quadrophenia concert.

Wow, I envy you for both of these concerts.... can you give more details?