Calling All Liberals! We Need You!

ILSnwdog

The difference is I don't think most people discussing bands on a message board feel like they are accomplishing something real in the world. In my experience people that discuss politics seriously in the same fashion feel this way and are fooling themselves into thinking that something useful will come out of it.

Useful things can indeed come out of it, and you are fooling yourself if you don't accept that fact.

Over the years, I have seen people open their minds to new ideas and perspectives, even to the extent of radical personal change. Even for people who have been relatively consistent in their views over the years, the practice of going up against other points of view and arguments can serve to make them understand their own positions in a deeper and more nuanced way than before.

How else is the world going to meaningfully change for the better, unless it is through communication and exp<b></b>ression of ideas?

People who say that political discussions are meaningless hot air which never serve any useful purpose are themselves engaging in bullshit hot air pronouncements.

2 people arguing on the Internet might change each others minds and feel better about themselves but nothing real gets accomplished. Lets say there is a discussion over new health care one for and one against. It's a spirited discussion and both people even learn new things but one is still for and one still against. Nothing changed with new health care. It's an exercise in verbal sparring like these posts. That's my point and my opinion,

there are plenty instances where minds are changed in a political discussion. it doesn't happen a whole lot on SOCN because most of those dudes are 50 and pretty much know where they stand on shit, but that doesn't mean it never happens. and who cares if nothing "real" is accomplished? define "real." I mean, damn, the attitudes from some on here, it's like if you aren't talking about van halen or queensryche, there's no point in talking at all!

I've changed my opinion on lots of things since joining SOCN. Plus, I feel much more informed about the world.

I'm having a hard time explaining. I'm talking about substantive change, not individuals. If its a hobby, have at it. I'm talking about people that feel like some real good comes out of political discussions. Some feel like the world is changing somehow when it is "an exercise in self indulgence" to a great extent.

Even this "substantive change" you are talking about only comes through the change of many individuals.

I AM A TREE-HUGGING ATHIEST LIBERAL HIPPIE!!! :rose: :D and i don't know if you people are being sarcastic or not, but if so you should know that Alex Lifeson is a self-described liberal. Edited by temporary madness

I AM A TREE-HUGGING ATHIEST LIBERAL HIPPIE!!! :rose: :D and i don't know if you people are being sarcastic or not, but if so you should know that Alex Lifeson is a self-described liberal.

Just make a hundred useless posts in some spam thread and you'll qualify.

Don't expect to get too far with the argument that Alex is a liberal, though. Appeals to authority don't get too far, and Alex isn't even an authority on these subjects anyway.

• Like 1

I AM A TREE-HUGGING ATHIEST LIBERAL HIPPIE!!! :rose: :D and i don't know if you people are being sarcastic or not, but if so you should know that Alex Lifeson is a self-described liberal.

Don't expect to get too far with the argument that Alex is a liberal, though. Appeals to authority don't get too far, and Alex isn't even an authority on these subjects anyway.

he's not even an authority on rush...especially setlists

• Like 1

Actually, that would make us pause. We'd rather people settle in and get to know the board and the people -- and the other way around -- before stampeding towards SOCN. It's precisely why we implemented those requirements in the first place. Just an FYI. :cheers:

• Like 1

"I can't believe so many Rush fans don't think exactly like I do!"

Can't stop Thinking Big, huh? :)

• Like 3

Actually, that would make us pause. We'd rather people settle in and get to know the board and the people -- and the other way around -- before stampeding towards SOCN. It's precisely why we implemented those requirements in the first place. Just an FYI. :cheers:

I was on my 6th account before asking for SOCN access, and I'm STILL not ready

Nah, you're OK :cheers:

Oops, you're not old enough for that stuff yet...

• Like 2

:LOL:

I come here to enjoy talking about Rush. I can tell enough from some of the sigs that there are some strong minded people here without engaging them in debate. Just not wanting to be bait for them, I mean the tags for this thread... :bitchslap: doesn't look like SOCN is a place for reasonable discussion IMHO. I've been on enough boards that got ruined by angry discussions. Glad you have a place to "discuss" politics but don't think I'll try it. :no:

I come here to enjoy talking about Rush. I can tell enough from some of the sigs that there are some strong minded people here without engaging them in debate. Just not wanting to be bait for them, I mean the tags for this thread... :bitchslap: doesn't look like SOCN is a place for reasonable discussion IMHO. I've been on enough boards that got ruined by angry discussions. Glad you have a place to "discuss" politics but don't think I'll try it. :no:

The thread tags, especially the last one, were tongue in cheek. I would say that, for the most point, if you engage in rational, respectful discussion, you'll be treated respectfully. But you're right, it may not be for everyone...

I don't even really know what this thread is about I just felt like saying it since it said "calling all liberals". But if all rush fans are conservatives maybe I should get off this forum....

it's pretty civil. how the hell can anyone honestly be AFRAID of the politics section on a rush fan forum?

It comes down to today's political climate, it has become hostile and childish. I spent lots of time on political blogs in 2004 through 2008, I wasn't shy about discussing topics that I felt strongly about. After a while, it just became tiresome to fight against the nastiness and paranoia so I don't frequent those discussions anymore. Our country could use some good honest debate but from what I have seen lately, civility is in sad decline. I belong to an online book group who had to banish the political discussions to one thread like here at TRF because it poisoned the whole site for months. I'm glad there is an outlet for those who wish to can talk about politics but if it was so civil then why was it removed to it's own thread? Even with the rules in place, it sounds like it can get pretty rough. Just my 2 cents :eyeroll:

I don't even really know what this thread is about I just felt like saying it since it said "calling all liberals". But if all rush fans are conservatives maybe I should get off this forum....

Oh for crying out loud.

:eyeroll:

• Like 1

hmm, I never would have thought that so many Rush fans would be conservative minded, what with the very liberal/individualist attitudes attributed to Neil's Lyrics. I have always contemplated going in, but thought that I would be a huge minority being someone who on personal freedoms want's what is close to anarchy, but on business, have rather central viewpoints (with a dose of agnosticism to top it off) (If a society like that is even possible). Plus being Canadian cuts off a lot of the forums I could properly post in (I assume). And lastly I do not have "thick skin" as some people say. I would imagine my experience with my first post would be like me walking in on a business room to get to know people and learn why they believe in what they believe...only to be trampled on by a heard of elephants. ;) . But I guess it would be fun to have a quick look. I guess I will send the message (though sorry I am not quite on your team, or anyone's team for that matter (I think)).

hmm, I never would have thought that so many Rush fans would be conservative minded, what with the very liberal/individualist attitudes attributed to Neil's Lyrics.

They're gonna' love you.

I have always contemplated going in, but thought that I would be a huge minority being someone who on personal freedoms want's what is close to anarchy

You'll find a couple of kindred spirits on that front.

, but on business, have rather central viewpoints (with a dose of agnosticism to top it off) (If a society like that is even possible). Plus being Canadian cuts off a lot of the forums I could properly post in (I assume). And lastly I do not have "thick skin" as some people say.

That's going to be a major problem. As I said, the forum has an express "no personal attacks" policy, so of course there are lots of personal attacks.

I would imagine my experience with my first post would be like me walking in on a business room to get to know people and learn why they believe in what they believe...only to be trampled on by a heard of elephants. ;) . But I guess it would be fun to have a quick look. I guess I will send the message (though sorry I am not quite on your team, or anyone's team for that matter (I think)).

Good luck!

hmm, I never would have thought that so many Rush fans would be conservative minded, what with the very liberal/individualist attitudes attributed to Neil's Lyrics.

They're gonna' love you.

I have always contemplated going in, but thought that I would be a huge minority being someone who on personal freedoms want's what is close to anarchy

, but on business, have rather central viewpoints (with a dose of agnosticism to top it off) (If a society like that is even possible). Plus being Canadian cuts off a lot of the forums I could properly post in (I assume). And lastly I do not have "thick skin" as some people say.

That's going to be a major problem. As I said, the forum has an express "no personal attacks" policy, so of course there are lots of personal attacks.

I would imagine my experience with my first post would be like me walking in on a business room to get to know people and learn why they believe in what they believe...only to be trampled on by a heard of elephants. ;) . But I guess it would be fun to have a quick look. I guess I will send the message (though sorry I am not quite on your team, or anyone's team for that matter (I think)).

Good luck!

Some one let me know if he joins. It might be worth re-upping my membership, just to see the train wreck.

• Like 1

They're gonna' love you.

Good luck!

Some one let me know if he joins. It might be worth re-upping my membership, just to see the train wreck.

Everyone take note - DO NOT let Sheldon know if RB does join.

• Like 1

They're gonna' love you.

Good luck!

Everyone take note - DO NOT let Sheldon know if RB does join.

BAZINGA!

:LOL:

• Like 1