Top 5 (or 10) overrated Rush songs

tx_rush

Yeah, funny to see the posts about "hating the hits." Then again, every band has those fans. I have heard Zeppelin "purists" diss "Stairway to Heaven" and my nephew laments that Metallica hasn't done anything earth-shattering since 1991. Not unusual for Rush fans to feel the same I guess.

Hating is not mutually exclusive to thinking something is overrated. You can enjoy a song and think it's overrated. Like more or less anything by U2. They've got some really awesome tracks, but I see articles about how they're the best band in the world. In my book: not by a long shot, they are the most overrated band on the planet, BUT I still enjoy listening to their songs from time to time.

You guys are all on crack!

and CHEAP crack at that!

At least we don't talk to ourselves.. ;)

Edited by MMCXII

You guys are all on crack!

and CHEAP crack at that!

At least we don't talk to ourselves.. ;)

.. Or do we? :P

• Like 1

A Rush song overrated?

It's an oxymoron.

This thread is overrated.

Hmm tricky one. I'd say...

Losing It

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres

One Little Victory

A Passage to Bangkok

Show Don't Tell

That's not to say I dislike these songs by any means (except for Losing it, urrghh what a dirge of track - don't understand why anyone wanted it played on the CA tour). I just feel like they generally seem to get a little bit more praise round here than they deserve.

Ok....let's throw one in the hat.

The one song that gets far too much praise.....and is not quite worthy of it IMO is.........

The Fountain of Lamneth.

• Like 1

To be "most overrated," the song needs LOTS of fans, and perhaps be a song that the BAND ITSELF praises, too... but which you think is weak. With that definition in mind:

"The Pass." The band loves it, and so do most of you. I think it's snooze city, and even as an "anti-suicide" song, it fails. (I myself was suicidally depressed when it came out; I got better advice from Wilson Phillips's "Hold On" than I did this song by my favorite band!) I really don't understand all the love for this song. Maybe you're all just a bunch of sentimental saps.

"Bravado." Ditto. The band loves it, and it's snooze city. God, these ballads really bring a Rush concert to a screeching halt! Nice enough sentiment in the lyrics, but it's a lullaby to sing fans to sleep.

"Fly by Night." Far from their best moment. Simplistic lyrics from Neil, who was still getting used to suddenly becoming a lyricist, and a musical sound which is now entirely dated. A straight-ahead 1970s rock song -- in retrospect, it would've suited John Rutsey well -- which has no place on the radio today, or in concert.

"A Passage to Bangkok." Dated. I understand that you tokers love it, but it shouldn't have ever been recorded, and should be seen by the band (and everyone else) as a total embarrassment now.

"Red Sector A." One of their worst tracks, ever. Neil could've treated the subject matter much better than he did here, with fairly dumb and repetitive lyrics. Musically, it's the band's most keyboard-centric song of all time, and I hate that. Hell, Geddy totally unstraps his bass when he plays this in concert! Here and throughout the GUP album, Alex is reduced to playing little Andy Summers/reggae rhythm strums on his guitar, behind the dominant keyboard melodies. WTF? When they play this song in concert, I'm off to the bathroom.

There's five songs most of you probably like, but which I don't. That'll do for now.

To be "most overrated," the song needs LOTS of fans, and perhaps be a song that the BAND ITSELF praises, too... but which you think is weak. With that definition in mind:

"The Pass." The band loves it, and so do most of you. I think it's snooze city, and even as an "anti-suicide" song, it fails. (I myself was suicidally depressed when it came out; I got better advice from Wilson Phillips's "Hold On" than I did this song by my favorite band!) I really don't understand all the love for this song. Maybe you're all just a bunch of sentimental saps.

"Bravado." Ditto. The band loves it, and it's snooze city. God, these ballads really bring a Rush concert to a screeching halt! Nice enough sentiment in the lyrics, but it's a lullaby to sing fans to sleep.

"Fly by Night." Far from their best moment. Simplistic lyrics from Neil, who was still getting used to suddenly becoming a lyricist, and a musical sound which is now entirely dated. A straight-ahead 1970s rock song -- in retrospect, it would've suited John Rutsey well -- which has no place on the radio today, or in concert.

"A Passage to Bangkok." Dated. I understand that you tokers love it, but it shouldn't have ever been recorded, and should be seen by the band (and everyone else) as a total embarrassment now.

"Red Sector A." One of their worst tracks, ever. Neil could've treated the subject matter much better than he did here, with fairly dumb and repetitive lyrics. Musically, it's the band's most keyboard-centric song of all time, and I hate that. Hell, Geddy totally unstraps his bass when he plays this in concert! Here and throughout the GUP album, Alex is reduced to playing little Andy Summers/reggae rhythm strums on his guitar, behind the dominant keyboard melodies. WTF? When they play this song in concert, I'm off to the bathroom.

There's five songs most of you probably like, but which I don't. That'll do for now.

Oh god no......just no.

• Like 1

I'll bet you're the only one in line. Red Sector A is a lyrical masterpiece because of its simplicity dealing with such a horrible subject. Could there be a little more guitar? Maybe, but I'm not complaining. Next time you're at a Rush concert, you enjoy the short bathroom lines, and I'll rock out to my favorite band, thank you very much.

• Like 1

A Farewell to Kings. From embarrassing keyboards to a pedantic Neil at his sophomoric worst, I really don't get the adoration this song gets. Between the Wheels. Not a bad song, but for me far from the best track from P/G. Again, terrible use of keyboards. The Garden. Although a new track, it was almost immediately raised to "Stairway to Heaven" status. Not terrible, but far from great. Cygnus, Books I & II. Fun musically, but lyrically and vocally, this is the stuff that kept RUSH out of the Hall for so long, and why so many HATE RUSH.

Who cares why people hate or like Rush? That doesn't mean Hemispheres is at all overrated. It's very close to mastesrpiece.

Ghost Of A Chance

2112 (sorry)

Bravado

Stick It Out (Even though it's not THAT popular, it's still overrated...)

Cold Fire

Just shakes his head...... geez
  • Like 1

Ghost Of A Chance

2112 (sorry)

Bravado

Cold Fire

Sorry Len, but how can you say the most important song in the entire catalog is overrated? It singlehandedly saved their career!

Ghost Of A Chance

2112 (sorry)

Bravado

Cold Fire

Sorry Len, but how can you say the most important song in the entire catalog is overrated? It singlehandedly saved their career!

And it hasn't lost an ounce of its awesomeness over the years. It doesn't even sound dated. That goes for side two also in my view. That one is underrated if anything.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

Dreamline

Tom Sawyer

Witch Hunt

Between The Wheels

Force Ten

By Tor

But.....to me the king of kings is the Garden

MY. God. people went nuts. myself included. It's a nice song. but not that freakin' amazing.

The songs i listed i enjoy.....just writing how i see it.

I'm sure there's plenty more too.

Mick

• Like 1

Ghost Of A Chance

2112 (sorry)

Bravado

Cold Fire

And it hasn't lost an ounce of its awesomeness over the years. It doesn't even sound dated. That goes for side two also in my view. That one is underrated if anything....

The whole album still sounds as futuristic as I assume it would have in the 70s :LOL:

Dreamline

Tom Sawyer

Witch Hunt

Between The Wheels

Force Ten

By Tor

But.....to me the king of kings is the Garden

MY. God. people went nuts. myself included. It's a nice song. but not that freakin' amazing.

The songs i listed i enjoy.....just writing how i see it.

I'm sure there's plenty more too.

Mick

By Tor the studio version I get but the live version couldn't be rated high enough ever in my view. I would say the same is true for BTW also...
  • Like 1