Deep Purple Machine Head

MMCXII

Wanna hear something funny? I just put a stereo in my truck and pretty much the entire drive down to The Rush show in Red Deer.. and back, I had Machine Head cranked! God what an amazing album.

It was my introduction to good rock and roll when my bro brought it home when I was like 6 years old and I still enjoy it thoroughly.. I'm 43 now.. It just doesn't get old! Such good driving tunes on it too! Check out Glover's bass lines in Lazy.. He's so under-rated. And Gillian's vocals in pictures of home!

I was recently inspired by Frippy on here to check out a Purple documentary and learned that while they were recording the album cramped in a hotel in a small town that people complained about the noise which led to the police showing up but they wouldn't let them in. they actually had roadies holding the door shut while they recorded smoke on the water! And that's the take that ended up on the album! Haha I wonder if you can hear the cops banging buried in the mix! So cool!

Just had to share my purple love.. I think I have a Purple heart lol. I also think Deep Purple should be our new RRHOF cause.. :cheers:

• Like 3

great album, but I like IN ROCK the most

In Rock is Killer too! Gillan shines. I always loved Flight of the Rat and I'm listening to Bloodsucker lots lately

• Like 1

The new album is canny. So good stuff and Morse's guitar seems to fly.

I tend to agree plus. there's too many players missing though.. but I guess if you need to replace Blackmore then I guess Moore will do. but Lord.. rip

Wanna hear something funny? I just put a stereo in my truck and pretty much the entire drive down to The Rush show in Red Deer.. and back, I had Machine Head cranked! God what an amazing album.

It was my introduction to good rock and roll when my bro brought it home when I was like 6 years old and I still enjoy it thoroughly.. I'm 43 now.. It just doesn't get old! Such good driving tunes on it too! Check out Glover's bass lines in Lazy.. He's so under-rated. And Gillian's vocals in pictures of home!

I was recently inspired by Frippy on here to check out a Purple documentary and learned that while they were recording the album cramped in a hotel in a small town that people complained about the noise which led to the police showing up but they wouldn't let them in. they actually had roadies holding the door shut while they recorded smoke on the water! And that's the take that ended up on the album! Haha I wonder if you can hear the cops banging buried in the mix! So cool!

Just had to share my purple love.. I think I have a Purple heart lol. I also think Deep Purple should be our new RRHOF cause.. :cheers:

Well treeduck hooked me onto Deep Purple so the credit should go to him!

:D-13: :notworthy: :cool:

Cheers,

frippy

• Like 1

Well treeduck hooked me onto Deep Purple so the credit should go to him!

:D-13: :notworthy: :cool:

Cheers,

frippy

:smoke:

• Like 1

I tend to agree plus. there's too many players missing though.. but I guess if you need to replace Blackmore then I guess Moore will do. but Lord.. rip

Nothing much you can do about Lord passing, but Don Airey is a good replacement. He was in Colosseum II in the 70's, then later Rainbow with Blackmore and Glover and has played on the following albums: Black Sabbath - Never Say Die, Rainbow - Down to Earth/Difficult to Cure, Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz/Bark at the Moon, Michael Schenker Group debut, Cozy Powell - Tilt, Gary Moore - Corridors of Power/Run for Cover/Dirty Fingers/Still Got the Blues, Whitesnake 1987/Slip of the tongue just to mention a few.

• Like 2

I would put them in but I think it is a tougher sell than rush due to lineup changes. They would have to have a large stage to induct everyone that was in DP. I also think it is easy to make an argument over which lineup was superior without easy agreement.

Nothing much you can do about Lord passing, but Don Airey is a good replacement. He was in Colosseum II in the 70's, then later Rainbow with Blackmore and Glover and has played on the following albums: Black Sabbath - Never Say Die, Rainbow - Down to Earth/Difficult to Cure, Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz/Bark at the Moon, Michael Schenker Group debut, Cozy Powell - Tilt, Gary Moore - Corridors of Power/Run for Cover/Dirty Fingers/Still Got the Blues, Whitesnake 1987/Slip of the tongue just to mention a few.

Airey played on Schenkers debut with Powell? Didn't know that! Ozzy too nice! Thanks Duck!

Airey played on Schenkers debut with Powell? Didn't know that! Ozzy too nice! Thanks Duck!

Yeah he worked with Cozy a lot and both of those guys were all over the place in the 70's and 80's. He's also on Judas Priest's Painkiller and Nostradamus, Brian May's Back to the Light. He's also worked with Jethro Tull, Graham Bonnet, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Fastway, UFO, Uli Jon Roth and Glenn Tipton.

To mention just a few, lol...everyone wants to work with DA! :D-13:

Edited by Steevo
  • Like 1

To mention just a few, lol...everyone wants to work with DA! :D-13:

Aye...

:d13:

Machine Head is one the essential rock albums ever made. Period.

That they are not in the RRHOF is possibly more of a joke than Rush not getting in for as long as it took them to finally be inducted. Fukk Jann Wenner.

• Like 4

That they are not in the RRHOF is possibly more of a joke than Rush not getting in for as long as it took them to finally be inducted. Fukk Jann Wenner.

I know, but let's look at Deep Purple objectively:

First, you have three largely unknown psychedelic blues albums with Rod Evans.

Then, a weird rock/symphonic concert, a single, and four albums (three of which are awesome, one of which stinks) over just 4 years with Mark II.

Two excellent, but mostly overlooked albums with 2 new singers.

Then a completely overlooked album with a different guitarist.

Then a break for 9 years.

Then a good return to form.

Then a bunch of albums, put out every few years - some good and some bad - during a lengthy period of complete irrelevance.

It's not something that jumps out at you.

But let me make 2 points:

1. The actual important point that YOU want to make after reading this is "Yeah, well those 3 albums - DPIR, F, and MH, were so unbelievably awesome! They are one of the few unshakable pillars of heavy metal"

and 2. If the whole band had died in a plane crash in 1974, Wenner would have gotten them in the RRHOF by now.

Edited by sitboaf

I know, but let's look at Deep Purple objectively:

First, you have three largely unknown psychedelic blues albums with Rod Evans.

Then, a weird rock/symphonic concert, a single, and four albums (three of which are awesome, one of which stinks) over just 4 years with Mark II.

Two excellent, but mostly overlooked albums with 2 new singers.

Then a completely overlooked album with a different guitarist.

Then a break for 9 years.

Then a good return to form.

Then a bunch of albums, put out every few years - some good and some bad - during a lengthy period of complete irrelevance.

It's not something that jumps out at you.

But let me make 2 points:

1. The actual important point that YOU want to make after reading this is "Yeah, well those 3 albums - DPIR, F, and MH, were so unbelievably awesome! They are one of the few unshakable pillars of heavy metal"

and 2. If the whole band had died in a plane crash in 1974, Wenner would have gotten them in the RRHOF by now.

Yeah, unfortunately they have had so many line up changes , that a place like the hall of fame, and wenner, probably look at them as some sort of Spinal Tap joke.. And really, Metal/ Hard rock in general .

Yeah he worked with Cozy a lot and both of those guys were all over the place in the 70's and 80's. He's also on Judas Priest's Painkiller and Nostradamus, Brian May's Back to the Light. He's also worked with Jethro Tull, Graham Bonnet, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Fastway, UFO, Uli Jon Roth and Glenn Tipton.

Damn that's a killer list!! I had no idea about most of those

It's true. Don Airey is a monster keyboard player and about the only one I can think of who could "sit in for" Lord. Morse is great, but doesn't play with Ritchie's terror and intensity.

Mark II is still the finest Purple lineup and, for me, this is the finest of the Mark II albums. One of the greatest in rock history. :haz:

:cheers:

• Like 1

I love the Mark II lineup. From In Rock to Who do we think we are was fantastic. I never get tired of listening to Machine Head. I have not heard anything past Purpendicular...which was fantastic. I really like Come Taste the Band as well. Tommy Bolin was amazing. I love what they did vocally with Bolin, Hughes, and Coverdale. Quality stuff. Thanks for the reminder. I am going to spin some old Purple today.
  • Like 1

I actually prefer the Burn - Stormbringer - Come Taste the Band run more than the Mk II era. But Machine Head is my favorite from the Gillan era.

Glenn Hughes should have been the lead singer for Mk III.