For those who got to see the "Counterparts" Tour...

ALifeson85

Did you, or did you NOT, damn-near have a heart attack during the Trees / Xanadu / Hemispheres segment?? I would have DROPPED, haha! I'm sure the inclusion of The Analog Kid on that tour was epic, as well :yes:
  • Like 1

The Hemispheres segment especially. So what if it was only four and a half minutes long? I just about lost it, totally.

I get to re-live it every time I watch the Auburn Hills DVD, which was only two days before I saw them in Cincinnati.

• Like 2

One of my biggest regrets is missing that tour. I had a conflict and couldn't go, and it stings to this day, especially since I didn't see them again for 13 more years.

I did see the RTB tour on the penultimate night, and got The Trees and Xanadu; that was pretty cool. They also did a really cool medley in the encore that had some old stuff in it.

I'd love to see them do like an extended instrumental medley again, sort of like the R30 intro. I know some people aren't into that, but they aren't gonna play these songs again any other way.

Edited by analog guy
  • Like 1

I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE an instrumental medley. Oh dear lord, yes.

I think it would be really cool if they did an instrumedley of their favorite parts from songs they otherwise will never play live, that way fans of all the obscure songs and old high-pitched songs can get some closure.

I've never seen a Rush show, but I have seen the A View From The Palace bootleg from YouTube. At the time, I wasn't aware of such a website as Setlist FM, so I felt like a fan at the show. When Trees started, I was happy. By the time Xanadu started, I felt they were partially toying with the crowd. By the time Prelude started, I had a small adrenaline rush like you do when you hear a great song that isn't played often

At that point of Rush history, the internet was still in its infancy and thus it was very easy not to know the setlists and be shocked. So yes, The Trees/Xanadu certainly kicked ass. However, Hemispheres was kind of a kick in the nuts. You are thinking to yourself, "holy shit, they are playing Hemispheres. This is the greatest thing ever!!". And then the big letdown sets in as they go into Tom Sawyer. You then think, "Why the f*** can't they drop Tom Sawyer and play more of Hemispheres??" It's kinda like being with a hot girl (or hot guy, whatever your preference is), she takes her (his) clothes off, and then she (he) leaves without you getting to do anything.
  • Like 2

It was AMAZING, nearly lost it...one of the best moments of all the Rush shows I have been to

I think it was close. For me, Natural Science and all of 2112 on the TfE tour were the most surprising, exciting moments for me.

• Like 4

It was absolutely amazing, I remember being stunned and not even knowing what the song was for the first few seconds...

Mostly, however, I was just as excited that Xanadu didn't transition into Superconductor again. (((shudder)))

• Like 1

This was really the first tour (for me anyway) where they got over their midlife crisis (otherwise known by me as the Presto Tour). (Well I think they started to get over it with the Euro leg of the Roll the Bones Tour in 1992) The band really started to be reinspired on this tour. At least that's how it seemed to me. (The third US leg was the first time they started to dust off some ignored classics. The Analog Kid, The Trees and Vital Signs (with the guitar outro were huge surprises in the set at that point.

I can't remember if this was the first or second tour where I knew the setlist going in.so there were no surprises. It's possible I found out through the Internet, but it was more likely that I had bootleg recordings of earlier shows as the bootleg industry (commercially) was peaking at this point so I listened to the show on the way to the show.

Leave That Thing Alone and Xanadu/Prelude were undeniably highlights of that tour for me. It seemed like the entire arena was going to lift off during Xanadu in a way that had not happened before or since. To this day, it's probably my go to version.

I'll admit it was kind of sad killing the bunnies off like that, but it was also an early indication that they weren't holding back their humor anymore (which I also consider to be a good thing.)

I also thought the lighting on this tour was pretty cool also...better than the a few of the previous tours anyway.

• Like 1

This is probably one of the best videos of "Hemispheres" from the Counterparts tour...at Madison Square Garden. Listen to the crowd!! :haz:

• Like 3

Did you, or did you NOT, damn-near have a heart attack during the Trees / Xanadu / Hemispheres segment?? I would have DROPPED, haha! I'm sure the inclusion of The Analog Kid on that tour was epic, as well :yes:

I saw Counterparts at MSG. It was right after I discovered Rush. I barely knew any of their catalog yet (that has changed dramatically since). I did not even realize until seeing this post that they did Prelude. WOW! Had I been then as familiar with them as I am now I would have totally went nuts when they started playing it. I can't believe I heard part of it live and didn't even realize how epic what I was hearing really was. Wow.

The R30 medly was great also. That I did hear live, 4 times, and did appreciate what I was hearing.

At that point of Rush history, the internet was still in its infancy and thus it was very easy not to know the setlists and be shocked. So yes, The Trees/Xanadu certainly kicked ass. However, Hemispheres was kind of a kick in the nuts. You are thinking to yourself, "holy shit, they are playing Hemispheres. This is the greatest thing ever!!". And then the big letdown sets in as they go into Tom Sawyer. You then think, "Why the f*** can't they drop Tom Sawyer and play more of Hemispheres??" It's kinda like being with a hot girl (or hot guy, whatever your preference is), she takes her (his) clothes off, and then she (he) leaves without you getting to do anything.

I totally agree. Well said and nice analogy. I realize Tom Sawyer is their most "popular" song, but seriously, ending Hemispheres for Tom Sawyer... Ahhh. Sawyer is the song I least like to hear at shows, and is one of my least favorites. But Hemispheres live would blow me away.

It was AMAZING, nearly lost it...one of the best moments of all the Rush shows I have been to

I think it was close. For me, Natural Science and all of 2112 on the TfE tour were the most surprising, exciting moments for me.

I missed that tour, something I will never forgive myself for. I have heard Natural Science live, and I love it. It is one of my favorites, and great live. But to miss 2112 in entirety live is something I will always regret. After missing the T4E tour I have made sure to see at least 4 shows per tour minimum. I will never make that mistake again.

This is probably one of the best videos of "Hemispheres" from the Counterparts tour...at Madison Square Garden. Listen to the crowd!! :haz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuo-la4zM24

Awesome! Thaks for posting the link. I still can't believe I was at that show and did not even realize what I was seeing.