Has The Ultra-Heavy Version Of Rush Run Its Course?

presto123

Let me start off by saying I love CA and think it's the best they have done in a long time. I was just thinking though, (happens from time to time) Rush has been in this heavy, cluttered, distorted mode(with exceptions here and there) for a long time now. Since about T4E honestly. You can say CP is heavy but it's a cleaner kind of heavy. Is it time to go back to a more cleaner, less distorted, more ethereal type of sound? We got that on The Garden and I think it's one of the best songs Rush has done in ages.

During the 80's Alex was stuck in this clean, processed guitar sound that the other guys couldn't get him out of. When he went the opposite direction he really went opposite. VT seems to be the anti-80's guitar sound. I love all their heavy records but has this version of Rush run its course? Is it time to go back to a cleaner less cluttered version of Rush? All of this is assuming they do another record of course.

Edited by presto123

What I want from Alex, more than anything, is to not be afraid to bring back his guitar driving playing. You take 2112, Xanadu, Farewell to Kings, basically anything in their 70's era...and you have fantastic guitar playing. I think the problem is Geddy used far too many synths in the 80's and it drove Alex to be far more conservative with his playing and not be as "technical" in what he does. He's filled with just a bunch of chordy music and it can be extremely dull. Plus, it seems he kind of turns up the guitar to a more "hard rock" kind of sound and I don't think that sound necessarily fits his playing. I miss when he made songs with the complicated and, like you said, clean sounding guitars. I love songs he plays like Hope because it's more than just playing B for a measure, then to F# for a measure, E for a measure, etc. Carnies was an interesting song, as well. I feel if he did more experimenting with the opening guitar, it could be really interesting with what they could come up with. Because even a crazy rockin' song like Headlong Flight, if you watch him play...He's not necessarily doing too much.

Don't get me wrong, I still love their music now. Like I've said before on other posts, I am spoiled with Rush because I mainly listen for the bass and it's top notch in all their albums. But I can understand much frustration with some guitarists with Alex's playing recently.

• Like 3

What I want from Alex, more than anything, is to not be afraid to bring back his guitar driving playing. You take 2112, Xanadu, Farewell to Kings, basically anything in their 70's era...and you have fantastic guitar playing. I think the problem is Geddy used far too many synths in the 80's and it drove Alex to be far more conservative with his playing and not be as "technical" in what he does. He's filled with just a bunch of chordy music and it can be extremely dull. Plus, it seems he kind of turns up the guitar to a more "hard rock" kind of sound and I don't think that sound necessarily fits his playing. I miss when he made songs with the complicated and, like you said, clean sounding guitars. I love songs he plays like Hope because it's more than just playing B for a measure, then to F# for a measure, E for a measure, etc. Carnies was an interesting song, as well. I feel if he did more experimenting with the opening guitar, it could be really interesting with what they could come up with. Because even a crazy rockin' song like Headlong Flight, if you watch him play...He's not necessarily doing too much.

Don't get me wrong, I still love their music now. Like I've said before on other posts, I am spoiled with Rush because I mainly listen for the bass and it's top notch in all their albums. But I can understand much frustration with some guitarists with Alex's playing recently.

At least he is back in solo mode. We got some great Alex style solos on this record.

At least he is back in solo mode. We got some great Alex style solos on this record.

Agreed! The Garden was fantastic. Made me tear up.

IMO, the heavier Rush can get, the better.

I like heavy too. Only problem is.....it seems like the heavier they go the more the overall production suffers.

That seems a natural corollary for almost any band.

YES!!!

Vapor Trails is the only Rush album since the 70s with any heavy edge on it, IMO. And it's a fantastic album.

Agree with you about Vapor Trails but don't know what you're thinking with the other part. You don't find songs like Caravan, BU2B, Far Cry, Driven, Virtuality, Stick It Out.....heavy? That's crazy. Are you a Slayer fan or something?

BU2B and Stick it Out are kind of heavy. The rest are just what I would classify as 'high-energy'.

I mean, on a scale of progressive rock heaviness, Rush lies a lot closer to Yes than they do to Between the Buried and Me; even modern Rush. I guess I just don't think that some high-energy, metal elements make it necessarily all that heavy.

And that's not a bad thing. Too heavy gets old fast. I like the balance Rush has struck.

I wouldn't describe any rush as ultra heavy but I will say that I want Alex to return to more riffs and clever arpeggiated sections as opposed to lots of frantic strumming. CA has some nice riffs but too many songs start off with a lot of strumming before settling into cool riffs
  • Like 2

Rush haven't ever been an "ultra-heavy" band. The last heavy rock they dished up was arguably AFTK.

Strange thread.

You're joking right? AFTK.........a record loaded with acoustic guitar. Even the electric guitar parts are not near as heavy as a record like VT. I think some of you have a different meaning of the word heavy. Distorted, loud, ballsy, possibly muti-tracked is what I mean by heavy. Heavy does not mean technical and progressive. Also, heavy has nothing to do with tempo either.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 1

Rush haven't ever been an "ultra-heavy" band. The last heavy rock they dished up was arguably AFTK.

Strange thread.

You're joking right? AFTK.........a record loaded with acoustic guitar. Even the electric guitar parts are not near as heavy as a record like VT. I think some of you have a different meaning of the word heavy. Distorted, loud, ballsy, possibly muti-tracked is what I mean by heavy. Heavy does not mean technical and progressive.

Ok you win. Rush are an "ultra heavy" band.

Holy f**k.

Strange thread.

You're joking right? AFTK.........a record loaded with acoustic guitar. Even the electric guitar parts are not near as heavy as a record like VT. I think some of you have a different meaning of the word heavy. Distorted, loud, ballsy, possibly muti-tracked is what I mean by heavy. Heavy does not mean technical and progressive.

Ok you win. Rush are an "ultra heavy" band.

Holy f**k.

OK...maybe I shouldn't have said "ultra". To me they are an ultra heavy band compared to most of their 70's and 80's stuff. I guess maybe not if you are comparing them to Slayer or Megadeth. They were definitely more progressive back then though.

Vapor Trails is the only Rush album since the 70s with any heavy edge on it, IMO. And it's a fantastic album.

Well it does have edge, and I've been listening to it more this week than I have in a long time. It's growing more on me and I may have to reassess my overall opinion on it. That will come later.

Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

Is it time to go back to a more cleaner, less distorted, more ethereal type of sound? We got that on The Garden and I think it's one of the best songs Rush has done in ages.

The Garden is the one song from the otherwise awesome CA (not counting BU2B2) that I always skip... most boring song for me since Heresy from RTB. :zzz:

As for whether this particular phase of Rush sound has "run it's course", I don't see why it should have to. Give me another batch of Earthshine/OLV/T4E/Driven/Far Cry/BU2B/7COG and I'll be one happy camper :haz:

OTOH, I also love the 80's albums, so if they'd rather serve up a plate of Subdivisions/RSA/BTW/Mystic Rhythms/High Water I'll take a second helping of that too :7up:

I think it's time for Rush to do what they've always done: whatever they want :cool:

• Like 2

In terms of maturity and musical development, the last three albums have been the bands finest imo i'll defo take more of the same please but you never know with these geniuses so whatever they give i'll take
  • Like 1

I think Nick R. has run his course.

You are so right...time to bring in Nile Rodgers.

Awwww ... freak out! :musicnote:

• Like 2