Rush - The illustrated History, by Martin Popoff

ACL

RUSH The illustrated History

http://www.amazon.co...strated history

I bought this the first day it came out and being a RUSH fan since the early '80s I was initially impressed with photos I had never seen before. Then I started reading it. Now I enjoy much of Martin Popoff's work (from films to books to his Mag. BWBK) but I was really shocked by most of the reviews in this book. It gives a detialed account of every album and all the songs on those records and many were all negative. As well that the band could have done better on many occations, really??? I guess I expected to hear something positive about their songs and instead I found it to be overtly negative. Don't know if anyone else got that from reading it, but I would suggest merely looking at the book in the store and not actually buying it.

Many of the complaints were around the whole "synth" period of the band. I understand why some fans don't care for those ablums, but this is a book about RUSH, not a Rolling Stone article.

Any other thoughts?

:rush:

I too didn't agree with some of the reviews but this book is an absolute must have for any Rush fan. Fantastic pictures! You also realize how hard the band worked in those early years. Overall, I loved it; it is indeed an illustrated history.

I bought the book for the pictures, too, as I'd heard it had lots of them.

I agree with the negative voice of the album reviews... not all are done by Popoff, though. What really got my hackles up was the review for Counterparts. Many of you might know of my love for 'Everyday Glory', and what does this reviewer say about it? It's "crap. Period." Really?! I think 'EG' is one of the band's best, and underrated, songs. It really speaks to me, and just sounds good. A song with deep lyrics and good music and one of the best climatic parts in songs (the "If the future's looking dark..." part). This song is certainly not crap. I can understand if this term was tossed to, say, 'Dog Years', as I think this one is quite universally low on Rush fans' lists, but not 'EG'! :( I know I'm not really objective towards it, as I do like it so much, but I really don't think it should be dismissed as 'crap'. This is a sore point, and lowered my esteem of Popoff's credibility.

So, yes, the book has surprisingly negative tones, and I got kind of more annoyed while reading through it. Though, on the other hand, I don't suppose I would rather have reviews that do nothing but praise every single little thing Rush has done; I'll leave that to me and my Rush-tinted glasses. But the amount of negativity seems surprising and unwarranted, really. I will probably not read through it again, but rather feast my eyes on the pictures.

Thanks for giving me a chance to vent about 'EG' - this had been bugging me for a while, and complaining to my brother about this only got me, "Well, everyone's entitled to their opinions." Well, what if their opinions are wrong? ;)

• Like 3

Many of you might know of my love for 'Everyday Glory', and what does this reviewer say about it? It's "crap. Period." Really?! I think 'EG' is one of the band's best, and underrated, songs. It really speaks to me, and just sounds good. A song with deep lyrics and good music and one of the best climatic parts in songs (the "If the future's looking dark..." part). This song is certainly not crap.

"When the future's looking dark

We're the ones who have to shine

When there's no one in control

We're the ones who draw the line" :notworthy:

Any book that calls Everyday Glory "crap" is not worth my time (to continue the thread hijack :ph34r: )

Many of you might know of my love for 'Everyday Glory', and what does this reviewer say about it? It's "crap. Period." Really?! I think 'EG' is one of the band's best, and underrated, songs. It really speaks to me, and just sounds good. A song with deep lyrics and good music and one of the best climatic parts in songs (the "If the future's looking dark..." part). This song is certainly not crap.

Any book that calls Everyday Glory "crap" is not worth my time (to continue the thread hijack :ph34r: )

Everyday Glory is indeed one amazing track! There is a lot of love for this song in this household...

Everyday Glory is indeed one amazing track! There is a lot of love for this song in this household...

Sorry to the OP for continuting this tangent, but here's a remix of 'Everyday Glory' I stumbled across a year or so ago, and I really like it. It's '8-bit', so sounds kind of like old-school video game music, but there's something about it that just sounds... good. This remix actually brought my attention to the underlying bass and drumming that I didn't pay as much attention to before, so it helped elevate the song even more for me. :

http://youtu.be/Dxf40wanynE

I bought it for the pictures :yes:

I only buy books for the pictures because like Geddy Lee, I cannot read or write.

• Like 1

Personally, I love Everyday Glory.

However, back on topic - what is the deal with this book? I ordered mine back in June from Amazon. Then they said 1 to 3 months to ship.... (really?) Now it doesn't even give a price on Amazon - like it's not available at all. There are other "options" but I learned my lesson by trying to get the Calendar last year.... nobody really had it.

Has anyone successfully purchased this book recently? (let's say this month?)

I bought the book for the pictures, too, as I'd heard it had lots of them.

I agree with the negative voice of the album reviews... not all are done by Popoff, though. What really got my hackles up was the review for Counterparts. Many of you might know of my love for 'Everyday Glory', and what does this reviewer say about it? It's "crap. Period." Really?! I think 'EG' is one of the band's best, and underrated, songs. It really speaks to me, and just sounds good. A song with deep lyrics and good music and one of the best climatic parts in songs (the "If the future's looking dark..." part). This song is certainly not crap. I can understand if this term was tossed to, say, 'Dog Years', as I think this one is quite universally low on Rush fans' lists, but not 'EG'! :( I know I'm not really objective towards it, as I do like it so much, but I really don't think it should be dismissed as 'crap'. This is a sore point, and lowered my esteem of Popoff's credibility.

So, yes, the book has surprisingly negative tones, and I got kind of more annoyed while reading through it. Though, on the other hand, I don't suppose I would rather have reviews that do nothing but praise every single little thing Rush has done; I'll leave that to me and my Rush-tinted glasses. But the amount of negativity seems surprising and unwarranted, really. I will probably not read through it again, but rather feast my eyes on the pictures.

Thanks for giving me a chance to vent about 'EG' - this had been bugging me for a while, and complaining to my brother about this only got me, "Well, everyone's entitled to their opinions." Well, what if their opinions are wrong? ;)

Ack! I just re-read this and it sound like I'm agreeing with being negative about the reviews! I'm not! I'm agreeing about the book having a negative-sounding voice regarding the reviews, which I don't like. Phew. Don't want anyone to think I'm hating on the albums! :( ;)

Personally, I love Everyday Glory.

However, back on topic - what is the deal with this book? I ordered mine back in June from Amazon. Then they said 1 to 3 months to ship.... (really?) Now it doesn't even give a price on Amazon - like it's not available at all. There are other "options" but I learned my lesson by trying to get the Calendar last year.... nobody really had it.

Has anyone successfully purchased this book recently? (let's say this month?)

My delivery time for the book, 3 weeks ago, was 2 days but that's here in Germany, so that's a different story.

I bought it the day it came out and have seen it in stock at my local Barnes and Noble. Not sure why Amazon is taking so long.

I don't think Amazon ships it.

Amazon was shipping it when I placed my order. Then, the next day, they were not.

Local B&N do not have any copies....

Popoff is selling them for a premium on his site.... I guess this was a limited edition?

Guess I'll have to search for alternate sources...

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!!!

I've been looking at this book for a while and hemming and hawwwing about buying it but never pulled the trigger.

But my incredibly awesome kids bought it for me for Fathers Day this year and I'm loving it!

I have not dug into any of the text yet as I'm having far too much fun checking out the pix, especially the live ones.

Great book. Great fun!

• Like 1

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!!!

I've been looking at this book for a while and hemming and hawwwing about buying it but never pulled the trigger.

But my incredibly awesome kids bought it for me for Fathers Day this year and I'm loving it!

I have not dug into any of the text yet as I'm having far too much fun checking out the pix, especially the live ones.

Great book. Great fun!

I'll keep that in mind. Still haven't bought mine yet.