Mercyful Fate - In The Shadows

Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

Voivod - Target Earth

Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth

Exodus - Tempo Of The Damned

Edited by Enemy Within 77
  • Like 1

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Aerosmith_-_Permanent_Vacation.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VswKK4ErKSY/TLYMiJ7xZbI/AAAAAAAAINA/UjQyfzfHSP8/s1600/Bonnie+Raitt+Nick+Of+Time.jpg

Edited by calirush

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Tom_Petty_Full_Moon_Fever.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/assets/images/album_review/c08968bca576a31bff4feb4956e24b6df968ad10.jpg

Edited by calirush
  • Like 1

Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth

Been 14 years since ANY album and that one being the dreadful Van Halen 3. Before that had been the very spotty Balance. You have to go back to '92 for a good album at all and '84 if you're not any kind of Sammy fan.

So to deliver Truth the way they did. Well, I smiled big and wide hearing those cuts through for the first time. It's still a very fresh listen when I pop it in. I didn't know what to expect, but I expected far, far worse.

• Like 1

some would say counterparts or clockwork angels are combeback albums. I love those records, but I don't think rush were ever shitty enough (or shitty at all) to have anything to bounce back from.

for me it was Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows that were Rush's big comeback albums. rarely does a group do that once. Rush did it twice.

other than that it's tough. i can think of examples where groups made albums that were "ok" after a long break or a few poor efforts, but they're hardly worth mentioning. for the most part, once a group makes a bad album or two, or a few years have passed, they NEVER reach or come close to their peak again. a few notable exceptions besides rush:

king crimson - larks' tongues in aspic

yes - 90125

ya ho wa 13 - sonic portation

portishead - third

my bloody valentine - mbv

Edited by rushgoober

some would say counterparts or clockwork angels are combeback albums. I love those records, but I don't think rush were ever shitty enough (or shitty at all) to have anything to bounce back from.

for me it was Counterparts and Snakes & Arrows that were Rush's big comeback albums. rarely does a group do that once. Rush did it twice.

other than that it's tough. i can think of examples where groups made albums that were "ok" after a long break or a few poor efforts, but they're hardly worth mentioning. for the most part, once a group makes a bad album or two, or a few years have passed, they NEVER reach or come close to their peak again. a few notable exceptions besides rush:

yes - 90125

portishead - third

Good call on Larks. King Crimson did it again with Discipline. Though, it could be argued they are totally different bands...

yes - 90125

portishead - third

Good call on Larks. King Crimson did it again with Discipline. Though, it could be argued they are totally different bands...

i'm not that into discipline - regardless, yeah, they were a dramatically different band by that point.

I'm suprised nobody's said Vapor Trails. Which was most definately a comeback album.

they came back from a 6-year recording hiatus, they came back to being a working, touring band. but that's the only way that album is a comeback - only in a very limited aspect of the definition of the word.

Soundgarden - King Animal

Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell

RHCP - Californication

Pearl Jam - self titled

U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind

Great picks. Californication, in particular, since I think that is far and away the Chili Peppers' best album.

RHCP - Californication

Pearl Jam - self titled

Great picks. Californication, in particular, since I think that is far and away the Chili Peppers' best album.

I can't stand anything from the RHCP after Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic. I prefer their more raw stuff I guess. I think they peaked at Mother's Milk. Different strokes.

• Like 1

RHCP - Californication

Pearl Jam - self titled

I can't stand anything from the RHCP after Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic. I prefer their more raw stuff I guess. I think they peaked at Mother's Milk. Different strokes.

Indeed. I like the CP's early stuff well enough, but I don't love it to be honest. I love Californication.

Kind of like Back in Black after losing Bon, I'd call A Dramatic Turn of Events a comeback in some sense of the word (or maybe a general statement, if you like) after the removal of Portnoy from DT. And ADToE kicks ass.

Also, let's call every single song Taylor Swift does a "comeback single" because those breakups must be devastating and nearly career-ending.

• Like 1

I'm suprised nobody's said Vapor Trails. Which was most definately a comeback album.

they came back from a 6-year recording hiatus, they came back to being a working, touring band. but that's the only way that album is a comeback - only in a very limited aspect of the definition of the word.

i agree that vapor trails is their comeback record. IMO its the first time they showed some balls since GUP.

i like clockwork but in now way consider it a comeback. quite honestly its hard for me to compare any rush to clockwork because of the strings.

RHCP - Californication

Pearl Jam - self titled

Indeed. I like the CP's early stuff well enough, but I don't love it to be honest. I love Californication.

indeed as i think the band never recovered from the loss of HiIlel. freaky styley and uplift are were its at IMO. i did catch a mothers milk show and BSSM show though and liked them up to one hot minute. on paper i thought that disc would be great as i was a navarro fan but man did it disappoint.

Been 14 years since ANY album and that one being the dreadful Van Halen 3. Before that had been the very spotty Balance. You have to go back to '92 for a good album at all and '84 if you're not any kind of Sammy fan.

So to deliver Truth the way they did. Well, I smiled big and wide hearing those cuts through for the first time. It's still a very fresh listen when I pop it in. I didn't know what to expect, but I expected far, far worse.

oooh good call.....forgot about this one.

yes - 90125

portishead - third

Counterparts. Could not agree more.

I mean.. listen to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULLZJfwvJXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkIAYqacoq4

Edited by lerxt1990

i agree that vapor trails is their comeback record. IMO its the first time they showed some balls since GUP.

i like clockwork but in now way consider it a comeback. quite honestly its hard for me to compare any rush to clockwork because of the strings.

what some call balls, i call it a vomitous brickwall of repetitive unmelodic cacophonous noise.

CA wasn't a comeback album because S&A was a really good album, and was an ENORMOUS comeback after the crushing awfulness that was VT. CA was just a continuation of their huge upward trend.

Edited by rushgoober

what some call balls, i call it a vomitous brickwall of repetitive unmelodic cacophonous noise.

CA wasn't a comeback album because S&A was a really good album, and was an ENORMOUS comeback after the crushing awfulness that was VT. CA was just a continuation of their huge upward trend.

Balls!

• Like 1

first one came to mind was perfect strangers. already mentioned though..

One thing that's interesting and notable is that this is NOT a long list of albums. Most people put one album or a handful at the most in their posts. It seems that comebacks are incredibly hard to do. Obviously the success rate with it is NOT high. What's the lesson to be learned? If you're a band putting out quality material, don't take a several year break or make a shitty album, because chances are you'll never get back to the level you were at before again.