Popular culture things I like... and "hate"

Lost In Xanadu

Rush fans are often criticized as hating anything once it becomes popular... aka being "hipsters". Also, I am not a fan of the word "hate"... so I used "cannot stand".

I like:

watching Survivor, Amazing Race

listening to The Beatles, Elvis, Van Halen, Rush (I would consider "popular" now)

reading and watching Harry Potter

watching Seinfeld, Simpsons, The Office

Things I cannot stand:

Justin Bieber (and his ilk)

American Idol (and other "talent" based reality shows)

TV trash becoming famous for no good reason (Kardashians, Honey BooBoo, etc etc etc etc)

Also - for the things listed... I liked many of them before they became popular, but didn't really get into Harry Potter UNTIL it became popular. The things I didn't like I didn't like from the onset... no amount of popularity was going to change my mind.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

The word "hate" is overused, I agree. I prefer "loathe". :)

Things I like:

-The original BBC "Top Gear" (and I liked it ages before it go so popular that a US ripoff was spawned)

-Downton Abbey

-Reading novels about political intrigue

-detective shows, flaws and all

Things I loathe:

-Justin Bieber, Maroon 5, any music act whose appeal is strictly limited to the shrieky teen girl crowd

-hipsters. Dorky.

-Phish and Widespread Panic

-celebrity worship culture

-Seinfeld

Edited by Mara
  • Like 3

Do you mean "things you loathe besides 'Friends'"?

Other than that, I can't add anything to Mara's list.

I like artists. I like people trying to break new ground and making music or art they like.

I hate targeting the lowest common denominator to try to make a fast buck. If people are dumb enough to fork over money to this type then go for it. For me, if I sense any attempt to cater to a formula I generally dislike it pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Things I like:

-The original BBC "Top Gear" (and I liked it ages before it go so popular that a US ripoff was spawned)

-Downton Abbey

Things I loathe:

-Justin Bieber, Maroon 5, any music act whose appeal is strictly limited to the shrieky teen girl crowd

-hipsters. Dorky.

-Seinfeld

Yes, hate is very strong word and one I don't use very often. It requires a lot of energy to hate.

Good like list. UK Top Gear is wonderful. I've never seen Downton Abbey, but I'm not averse to it, I'd just like to see it from the beginning. I'd add the BBC version of Sherlock to your like list. With Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, the show is absolutely stellar and a 5 star drama. It is true to the books, but updated for the 21st century and the writing and acting are exceptional.

On your dislike list, I'd omit Seinfeld (I really like the show) and substitute "How I Met Your Mother" (can't stand it and it is completely lost on me). I'd also add the Grateful Dead (Sugar Magnolia is the only song of theirs I can listen to) - their music has always annoyed me. To me, all of those bands just sound like a bunch of people on stage noodling around and I have a very low tolerance for such music. I'd also add Dream Theater ( *gasp* ) to that list. That may not be a shared opinion on TRF, and I may have many disagree with me, but I find their music pretentious and unsatisfying. I saw a DT concert maybe a dozen years ago and found it exhausting to my ear (and not in a good way). JMO.

I like Mad Men - rented season 1 on an unpretentious Sunday afternoon and was hooked from the very first scene!

I liked Seinfeld as well, but couldn't stand any other attempts that the cast made to put a sitcom together. Including Curb your Enthusiasm and all the other stuff everyone tried.

For those who need help with their list of things to hate, the daytime Emmys are coming on.

I hate any of those shows like American Idol. Gawd awful stuff.

I despise most all reality TV with every fiber of my being. Even stuff like Pawn Stars that's mildly entertaining for a season gets really old in a hurry. And how many shows do we need about storage locker auctions?????

• Like 1

I hate any of those shows like American Idol. Gawd awful stuff.

I despise most all reality TV with every fiber of my being. Even stuff like Pawn Stars that's mildly entertaining for a season gets really old in a hurry. And how many shows do we need about storage locker auctions?????

I like some of those types of shows. I like Counting Cars and American Restoration. The locker shows are lame.

Things I like:

-Downton Abbey

Things I loathe:

-hipsters. Dorky.

-Seinfeld

Yes, hate is very strong word and one I don't use very often. It requires a lot of energy to hate.

Good like list. UK Top Gear is wonderful. I've never seen Downton Abbey, but I'm not averse to it, I'd just like to see it from the beginning. I'd add the BBC version of Sherlock to your like list. With Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, the show is absolutely stellar and a 5 star drama. It is true to the books, but updated for the 21st century and the writing and acting are exceptional.

On your dislike list, I'd omit Seinfeld (I really like the show) and substitute "How I Met Your Mother" (can't stand it and it is completely lost on me). I'd also add the Grateful Dead (Sugar Magnolia is the only song of theirs I can listen to) - their music has always annoyed me. To me, all of those bands just sound like a bunch of people on stage noodling around and I have a very low tolerance for such music. I'd also add Dream Theater ( *gasp* ) to that list. That may not be a shared opinion on TRF, and I may have many disagree with me, but I find their music pretentious and unsatisfying. I saw a DT concert maybe a dozen years ago and found it exhausting to my ear (and not in a good way). JMO.

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCy9k_RWlvA

The View

The Talk

In the hate column of course.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Things I love:

• Teaching (whether it's helping someone out in calculus or teaching someone to play chess or starcraft properly, it's always fun)
  • Rock Band (playing with plastic instruments or jamming with real instruments)
  • Firefly/Star Trek DS9
  • Taking the bikes with my SO to a little spot off the beaten path and watch the sun set on a tiny beach not too many know about
  • Coding a program that forces me to come up with a new approach or tests what I can do

Things I cannot stand:

• Reality shows (American Idol, The Voice, Survivor, Last Car Standing, Pawn Stars, etc)
  • Songs that abuse autotune/digital correction to sound "perfect" or cover up mistakes or lack of talent as opposed to using it for stylistic purposes (see: top 40 radio). You can be talentless and still sound good without it.
  • Elitists who put down people trying to enjoy something

• Like 1

Things I like:

-Downton Abbey

Things I loathe:

-hipsters. Dorky.

-Seinfeld

Try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCy9k_RWlvA

Oh, that damn song. An excellent example of annoying Dead. :P Thanks goob, though I'm not sure that was your intent. :unsure:

It isn't lack of exposure to the Dead, I've known several serious DeadHeads and I have listened to their music for many, many hours. It's more the tones, melodies, riffs and rhythms I find annoying. Aside from those aspects, their music is great stuff! ;)

I love NCIS, Deadliest Catch, Californication

Crotch Rockets

Star Trek

I enjoyed revenge of the Sith

The Lord OF the Rings was a great story way before the movies

Barnes and noble bookstore can be a fun Date

Pride for my whole country,, (not just Texas)

I love the 4th of JULY

I love Board shorts and water skis

I love American muscle cars,, I don't care if ur MINI, Mazda Miata , or VW BUG can corner better,,,

Old Rockers are still better then a ton of the kids today

I love baseball,, (exept the Angels)

oldies music, Jazz

GOD ( but read below)

CNN

I hate Superhero movies, IRON MAN, SPIDER MAN, SUPER MAN, HULK, Avengers,, fantastic four, THOR,, yuk, I just dont understand the want to waste money on these,, IMAX 3D ugh (However the Batman series was great)

While we are at it,, could Chris Brown get lost please, Stop ripping off JAson Derullo

No,, i got high one time my entire life,, no i don't think it is cool,, if u need it for meds fine,, but I don't want to light up with you,, now pass me a beer and give me some chicken wings

Yes i will teach my kid to be a snitch,, that is if he or she is bullied,, he or she will tell a teacher, the whole "Snitch" culture bothers me,, well the other alternative would be to let my kid kick the bullies a$$ and let me deal with school system,,

Shock Jocks,,wow,, Howard Stern did that in 1989

No i will not pray with you and block abortion clinics,, Gays and lesbians have the right to be together,,,this does not make me a bad Christian,every morning when i look in the mirror i realize i am no better then anyone else and i have my own life to deal with ,,, and i don't have the right not make others miserable

ATTN FOX NEWS AND MSNBC,, go off the air please

lol this was fun,, its time for bed

Crotch Rockets

Star Trek

I love the 4th of JULY

I love American muscle cars,, I don't care if ur MINI, Mazda Miata , or VW BUG can corner better,,,

oldies music, Jazz

GOD ( but read below)

CNN

I hate Superhero movies, IRON MAN, SPIDER MAN, SUPER MAN, HULK, Avengers,, fantastic four, THOR,, yuk, I just dont understand the want to waste money on these,, IMAX 3D ugh (However the Batman series was great)

While we are at it,, could Chris Brown get lost please, Stop ripping off JAson Derullo

No,, i got high one time my entire life,, no i don't think it is cool,, if u need it for meds fine,, but I don't want to light up with you,, now pass me a beer and give me some chicken wings

Yes i will teach my kid to be a snitch,, that is if he or she is bullied,, he or she will tell a teacher, the whole "Snitch" culture bothers me,, well the other alternative would be to let my kid kick the bullies a$$ and let me deal with school system,,

No i will not pray with you and block abortion clinics,, Gays and lesbians have the right to be together,,,this does not make me a bad Christian,every morning when i look in the mirror i realize i am no better then anyone else and i have my own life to deal with ,,, and i don't have the right not make others miserable

I'm surprised by your hatred of superhero flicks especially since (imho) Star Trek, Star Wars, and LotR are in the same ballpark as those superhero flicks...BUT you liked the Bat flicks. Having said that, half of those other superhero movies you mentioned were not good Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Here is another hate

I hate people who hate certain things because it is cool to hate them. Even worse are the people who pretend they don't like something because they know it is popular to hate it. The thing I like that most people either hate or pretend to hate is the band Eagles. I'm not their biggest fan but I like them so there. What do you like that most people hate?

Here is another hate

I hate people who hate certain things because it is cool to hate them. Even worse are the people who pretend they don't like something because they know it is popular to hate it. The thing I like that most people either hate or pretend to hate is the band Eagles. I'm not their biggest fan but I like them so there. What do you like that most people hate?

Rush :)

Crotch Rockets

Star Trek

I love the 4th of JULY

oldies music, Jazz

GOD ( but read below)

CNN

I'm surprised by your hatred of superhero flicks especially since (imho) Star Trek, Star Wars, and LotR are in the same ballpark as those superhero flicks...BUT you liked the Bat flicks. Having said that, half of those other superhero movies you mentioned were not good

I guess I prefer Story over action,,I was the only person in my group of friends who wanted to see Great Gatsby instead of Iron Man lol,, i do not hate the whole comic genre,, I love the Walking Dead tv series and THE CROW