products you endorse and products you wouldn't recommend

Wouldn't recommend:

Nike shoes

Nikes are made for people who weigh no more than 115 lbs. For those of us who are normal sized, I like either Asics or Reebok Zigs.

I prefer Adidas myself, but that's mainly because they seem to be the only company that produces affordable shoes for wide feet.

Wouldn't recommend:

Nike shoes

Nikes are made for people who weigh no more than 115 lbs. For those of us who are normal sized, I like either Asics or Reebok Zigs.

I prefer Adidas myself, but that's mainly because they seem to be the only company that produces affordable shoes for wide feet.

I don't like Nike because they fall apart long before they can wear out and they aren't very comfortable. The K-Swiss shoes I wear last longer and are far more comfortable to wear.

I agree with Mara regarding Duke's mayonnaise. It's the best when making BLTs.

Agreed.

And on that note I'm going to recommend something that I know people will make fun of but I don't care.

http://blog.indabamusic.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/spam2.jpg

BLTs made with fried Spam (AKA SLTs) are really good. Every summer I go through the ridicule of eating SLTs and I don't get it. A piece of fried Spam is no worse than a piece of fried smoked pig fat.

Without being too graphic, "moist" toilet paper. Seriously. People give me a hard time about it when they come to our house and see it in the bathroom. You would not believe how many people have told me they subsequently bought it and LOVE it.

Back in the late 80's there was a brand of lemon-scented toilet paper on the market. My then-SO and I joked about possible commercials: "Hey honey, come smell my lemony-fresh ass!" The lemon TP did not last long, though.

Without being too graphic, "moist" toilet paper. Seriously. People give me a hard time about it when they come to our house and see it in the bathroom. You would not believe how many people have told me they subsequently bought it and LOVE it.

You very clean after using moist TP.

Back in the late 80's there was a brand of lemon-scented toilet paper on the market. My then-SO and I joked about possible commercials: "Hey honey, come smell my lemony-fresh ass!" The lemon TP did not last long, though.

I'm not surprised. My interest was piqued in the moist TP when I noted on the package for some wipes we had bought for my son (my oldest) that they were flushable. They're available in the paper goods aisle, and in the baby section. Try them. You'll thank me.

I have two vehicles that are not particularly fuel efficient. One of them is a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, with a 5.3 liter V8. It does get 15 mpg around town, which isn't bad for a truck of that size which can tow a house. My other car is a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. That has a 400 horsepower 6.0 liter V8, and gets between 16 & 17 mpg. With gas prices on the way up, I decided to get a little run around car that would be easier on fuel, and to save wear and tear on the two more expensive vehicles. So, last December, I bought a 2012 Chevy Sonic. The sticker was just under $17,000, and I got it for $14,500 with 0% financing for 5 years. I got the optional 1.4 liter turbo. It was an extra $700, but it gets better gas milage and has more power than the stock 1.8 liter. I was hoping to get 30 mpg with it, but now that the engine is broken in, we are getting 35 mpg or better AROUND TOWN! :banana: And note, this little Sonic will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds, so it isn't a little pig. It's fun to drive! It also doesn't feel cheap. The car has a very solid feel to it, and the suspension is great! If you are looking for a decent little car that is fun to drive, reliable, and cheap to operate, you can't go wrong with this car.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/ILsnwdog/sonic_zpse5c9f400.jpg

I couldn't get the dealers here to come off their price on the sonic. Cheapest quote I could get was 17,300. Instead I bought a Nissan Versa. Paid under 15k for it and I get over 40MPG with it. I did like the sonic quite a bit and if one of the dealers would have come off his price a bit I would have bought one. I liked it better but not 2300 dollars better. I just needed something for my long ass commute. The Versa is nice and I like it also but it does not have a lot of power.

I'm not surprised. My interest was piqued in the moist TP when I noted on the package for some wipes we had bought for my son (my oldest) that they were flushable. They're available in the paper goods aisle, and in the baby section. Try them. You'll thank me.

We use them and I agree!!

I have two vehicles that are not particularly fuel efficient. One of them is a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, with a 5.3 liter V8. It does get 15 mpg around town, which isn't bad for a truck of that size which can tow a house. My other car is a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. That has a 400 horsepower 6.0 liter V8, and gets between 16 & 17 mpg. With gas prices on the way up, I decided to get a little run around car that would be easier on fuel, and to save wear and tear on the two more expensive vehicles. So, last December, I bought a 2012 Chevy Sonic. The sticker was just under $17,000, and I got it for $14,500 with 0% financing for 5 years. I got the optional 1.4 liter turbo. It was an extra $700, but it gets better gas milage and has more power than the stock 1.8 liter. I was hoping to get 30 mpg with it, but now that the engine is broken in, we are getting 35 mpg or better AROUND TOWN! :banana: And note, this little Sonic will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds, so it isn't a little pig. It's fun to drive! It also doesn't feel cheap. The car has a very solid feel to it, and the suspension is great! If you are looking for a decent little car that is fun to drive, reliable, and cheap to operate, you can't go wrong with this car.

I couldn't get the dealers here to come off their price on the sonic. Cheapest quote I could get was 17,300. Instead I bought a Nissan Versa. Paid under 15k for it and I get over 40MPG with it. I did like the sonic quite a bit and if one of the dealers would have come off his price a bit I would have bought one. I liked it better but not 2300 dollars better. I just needed something for my long ass commute. The Versa is nice and I like it also but it does not have a lot of power.

I bought mine at the end of the year, when they were getting rid of 2012 stock. My Sonic has the 1.4 liter turbo, so it will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds. It's actually fun to drive. :haz:

Endorse: Duke's Mayonnaise on a sandwich, in potato salad, on french fries

Don't endorse: Miracle Whip, ever, for any reason, unless for some reason you're trying to make someone sick

YES!!!

:no:

It is with slight embarrassment that I'll admit I like Miracle Whip. Perhaps it's an acquired taste —my grandmother used to buy it all the time, so I ate it quite often as a kid. I still keep a small jar on hand for those occasions when I'm overcome with nostalgia. Even if they won't confess, I'm sure there are other people here who like MW.

Despite my misplaced affection for the stuff, this is funny:

http://theoatmeal.co...og/miracle_whip

Warning: It's a slightly off-color cartoon, nothing indecent, but I thought it would be safer just to post the link rather than the cartoon itself.

I love Miracle Whip!

• Like 1

As a photographer, I love all things Canon.

Yes. I love my SLR 5D and the EOS lens system. I don't think you can beat it for the price. Nikon is good as well but I like the EOS lenses better.

I have the 5D, as well, among my L lenses that range from 17mm to 200mm. Bodies come and go...glass is forever. :)

Agreed.

And on that note I'm going to recommend something that I know people will make fun of but I don't care.

BLTs made with fried Spam (AKA SLTs) are really good. Every summer I go through the ridicule of eating SLTs and I don't get it. A piece of fried Spam is no worse than a piece of fried smoked pig fat.

We like Spam here. I make it with Kraft Mac & Cheese. My husband ate a lot of Spam in the service. I do prefer it grilled in a skillet than microwaved or eaten cold.

To be avoided: Plug-In Air Fresheners

A can of room deodorizer comes in handy now and again, but unless you have ten cats in the house (in which case it probably looks like an episode of Hoarders and the smell of cat urine is the least of your problems), you really don't need these things. Find the source of the offensive odor and eliminate it, don't try to mask it. They like to give the scented oil refills fanciful names like 'Tropical Breeze' and 'Spring Meadow', but the odor is always unnatural and overpowering.

I recently spent the weekend visiting relatives, and they had plug-in air fresheners all over the house, guest room included. I didn't want to be rude and complain, so I unplugged it and opened the window when I went to bed, but the stench lingered in the room all night.

Edited by substancewithoutstyle

WEN hair products ! I recommend.

Wen is the best!

I have debated trying this product in my never ending quest to defeat frizzy hair. :madra:

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

I'm very off Chevy. The last two cars we've had from Chevrolet have been terrible - we're still driving one. The first one I traded in on my Toyota Tacoma (highly endorsed and recommended - why didn't I but one of these 20 years ago??? :doh: ) The second one we're still driving. We obeyed the "replace engine" light at 56k miles and replaced the engine. I think we've spent enough on the car to have bought it twice over. I refer to it as the PoS model.

We're just starting the new car shopping process. Not sure what we're going to get, but it will *not* be a Chevy.

I've had great luck with our Chevys. We love our Tahoe, and will be replacing it with a suburban in a couple of years.

I'm very off Chevy. The last two cars we've had from Chevrolet have been terrible - we're still driving one. The first one I traded in on my Toyota Tacoma (highly endorsed and recommended - why didn't I but one of these 20 years ago??? :doh: ) The second one we're still driving. We obeyed the "replace engine" light at 56k miles and replaced the engine. I think we've spent enough on the car to have bought it twice over. I refer to it as the PoS model.

We're just starting the new car shopping process. Not sure what we're going to get, but it will *not* be a Chevy.

I would definitely buy a Honda or something else that gets super, duper, gas mileage. No telling what the gas prices will be in the future.

It's hard to go wrong with Honda. My 08 Accord coupe has been practically flawless. I've never been loyal with cars though. What was shit 10 yrs ago could be good now, and vise versa. But it's hard to go wrong with a Honda. Endorsed!

I have a specific set of criteria with which I have been provided since that I won't be the daily driver of the car - just road trips, so it must be comfy. Must be AWD to deal with NE winters. I've been looking at the Ford Fusion (Mondeo in Europe) which has good reviews. I had great luck with my Ford truck (a Ranger, great truck) but the Ford Taurus I owed in '89 was a total turd. I'm also thinking Subaru, though there is a bit of a shortage in NE right now. I'd like to stay away from SUV types. Price has to be right. Mileage is important but not the primary consideration. Car must be new. To maintain domestic bliss, a good course of action is to follow the criteria.

I've had very poor luck with Chevy. Must be a karma thing. I drove a Chevy Malibu wagon in high school and, while the whole thing leaked by the time I sold it for $65, I beat the crap out of that car. Perhaps, Chevy is paying me back. :unsure:

Keep in mind that all GMs have a 5 year / 100,000 powertrain warranty. If they were making shit products, they would go broke (again:lol:).

I know a lot of people who have the new Equinox, and they are all very happy with them. My wife's cousin, by brother, our next door neighbors, and a few people at work have one. Two of the people that I work with are on their second Equinox.

EEEEEK!!!! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-scared001.gif That's the car! It's been horrendously bad.

In the car's defense, it is an '05 and that was the first production year for the Equinox. 6 years old at engine replacement (52k miles). My mechanic talked to Chevy and they said there wasn't anything they would do. He also said he had seen this with more than one '05 engine. He told me I could talk to them, but I didn't feel like the argument was worth it, especially given my terrible experience with Chevy with my Malibu. I have many better things to do with my time and sanity rather than argue with Chevrolet.

I did enjoy a tongue in cheek aspect of your response. '05 was the first year for the Equinox and you have friends on their second already?!? That's the pro-Chevy argument? :unsure: Sounds like a great car. ;)

I bought mine at the end of the year, when they were getting rid of 2012 stock. My Sonic has the 1.4 liter turbo, so it will do 0-60 in under 8 seconds. It's actually fun to drive. :haz:

Bought mine in November but everyone was selling 2013's already. I didn't see any 2012 models for sale. I went to 3 Chevy dealerships.

Endorse: Clockwork Angels

Wouldn't recommend: Snakes and Arrows

Endorse: Snakes and Arrows

Wouldn't recommend: VT

Agreed.

We like Spam here. I make it with Kraft Mac & Cheese. My husband ate a lot of Spam in the service. I do prefer it grilled in a skillet than microwaved or eaten cold.

A lot of Japanese think of it as a delicacy mainly because of its popularity in Hawaii (a place MANY Japanese visit). The spam [which is cooked] is combined with rice and seaweed. I've been to a few parties where it's one of the dishes served. The CEO of a company I used to work for often had house parties at his sweet pad and he'd always tell me if he planned on serving that spam/rice/seaweed dish as if it were prime rib. I'd always (dutifully) tell him that it "Sounds delicious" despite thinking only about what kind of sake he's going to have
  • Like 2

ILSnwdog recommends:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/Austin-Powers-Pump.jpg

:LMAO: honestly, it's not mine. :)

Recommend: OxyClean for laundry purposes, ESPECIALLY for the whites. I know the infomercials make you want to punch someone in the throat, but the product itself is awesome.

Agreed.

A lot of Japanese think of it as a delicacy mainly because of its popularity in Hawaii (a place MANY Japanese visit). The spam [which is cooked] is combined with rice and seaweed. I've been to a few parties where it's one of the dishes served. The CEO of a company I used to work for often had house parties at his sweet pad and he'd always tell me if he planned on serving that spam/rice/seaweed dish as if it were prime rib. I'd always (dutifully) tell him that it "Sounds delicious" despite thinking only about what kind of sake he's going to have

Yes, that Spam thing is odd. I knew someone from Hawaii and they held Spam in the same regard. I never understood the appeal, but was always gracious about trying it. Quite a unique flavour. Not terrible, but not something I would have thought of creating.