Shockingly bad sound at Manchester

Who is Rush's sound man, and how has he not been sacked?

I could see the band, but I couldn't hear them. It was just a mush. No bass guitar in the mix, no synths in the 80s stuff.

The only time you could make out Neil were his solos.

Nowhere near enough speakers to fill the room, so the sound man attempted to fill the rest of the space with sub frequencies. Absolutely gut wrenchingly disappointing.

It could've easily been a problem with then venue itself. Not really the sound guy's fault there. Considering Rush has had a great track record of sounding good live, I wouldn't fire the soundman because of one bad show. Every venues sound system is different and sometimes no matter what a sound guy does he can't change that. I've heard it happen at many shows before.
  • Like 1

This is a sad thing to read. When I saw them at the O2 in London two years ago, I was on the upper level and the sound was very similar to what you describe - awful, very boomy and very difficult to pick out individual instruments and nuances. When Geddy played his little 'self indulgence' solo it may as well have been a toddler hitting the strings randomly with a drum stick...it was shocking. No end of people went to the customer services desk during the show to complain about it, but it would appear that these comments didn't get back to Brad Maddix at FOH because it didn't any get better as the show progressed. I'm really looking forward to the show tonight at the O2, and I do have a better ticket (level 1) but I am still concerned about it. What I don't understand is how this happens. There is a fantastic series of behind the scenes videos available on youtube that explain different aspects of the show, including some very detailed comments from Brad (
) about setting up the PA and tuning it etc. (using pink noise, and subdivisions) - it even shows him at different points in a big arena tuning the PA….so one would assume that a. this is done at every venue and b. a note of settings is made ready for the next time Rush play at that same venue….at least as a starting point. I don’t get it at all, and its not as if the tickets are cheap either, but what do I know. No doubt at FOH it sounds superb and I guess tickets near the desk would be the best ones to get for a good sound (plus you get to see Howard do his thing on the lights) but some of us have to put up with an inferior audio experience.

I was at the O2 gig you mention but down on the floor. The sound was spot on, probably the best I've experienced at a Rush gig since the 70s. I think it's all about where you are in the auditorium.

I was Block 113 for Manchester gig and whilst the sound wasn't perfect it was good for that type of venue.

• Like 1

I could see the band, but I couldn't hear them. It was just a mush. No bass guitar in the mix, no synths in the 80s stuff.

Nowhere near enough speakers to fill the room, so the sound man attempted to fill the rest of the space with sub frequencies. Absolutely gut wrenchingly disappointing.

Sound man should have just turned it up to "11".

It could've easily been a problem with then venue itself. Not really the sound guy's fault there. Considering Rush has had a great track record of sounding good live, I wouldn't fire the soundman because of one bad show. Every venues sound system is different and sometimes no matter what a sound guy does he can't change that. I've heard it happen at many shows before.

I don't think Rush uses the "venue's sound system". The sound system travels with them along with the rest of the production, to each show.

I was at the O2 gig you mention but down on the floor. The sound was spot on, probably the best I've experienced at a Rush gig since the 70s. I think it's all about where you are in the auditorium.

I was Block 113 for Manchester gig and whilst the sound wasn't perfect it was good for that type of venue.

I too was in Block 113 @ Manc & the sound was fine for an arena gig.

Put it this way, I've heard plenty worse.

Unfortunately it must just come down to where your seats are in the room if the sound passes muster or not.

I don't think Rush uses the "venue's sound system". The sound system travels with them along with the rest of the production, to each show.

I think you're right. But the problem could also be the venue's acoustics. Some venues have AWFUL designs.

I was sat near the mixing desk on the floor.

It was`nt great but then again it`s a Rock Concert .

I'm now back from the O2....great gig, and I was on the slope level 1, about half way along. 7/10 for the sound, bass was a little too boomy for my liking but it was a zillion times better than level 4 last time around!

Sorry about the multiple posts. No idea how that happened.

Someone asked where I was sitting. Admittedly it was in the side fills, but I don't think that's an excuse. There are no cheap tickets at these shows, and having sat there, in nearly exactly the same seat for Tool in the same venue, where the sound was perfect, I know how the venue can sound.

The problem is speakers. They are only pointing in two directions, and there aren't enough of them. Too many bass bins being used to fortify the sound.

Anyway it's done with now, and I look forward to the tour DVD so I can hear the amazing set they played properly.

I've been accused of being a troll and its been suggested I'm banned because I complained. Don't know what I really expected, but I'm glad there's at least a few non-yes men around who'll just accept any old output.

Next tour ill be paying. For the even more expensive tix.

I've been accused of being a troll and its been suggested I'm banned because I complained. Don't know what I really expected, but I'm glad there's at least a few non-yes men around who'll just accept any old output.

I think it was the multiple threads, rather than the complaining itself.

I've been to a few gigs at the O2 and it's puzzling how much the sound quality can vary.

Rush last night sounded ok but not great. I was in block 102, row H and to my ears, it sounded a bit distorted as if the pa system couldn't cope with the volume.

2 years ago I was sat in 101 row Y and the sound was appalling for the first 3 or 4 songs but then they sorted it out and it was amazingly good. When they played "the Camera Eye", I couldn't believe how crystal clear and vibrant it sounded.

Top gig last night though, some old gems in the set list that I've not heard live before and the new stuff is brilliant too, especially "the Wreckers"

Sorry about the multiple posts. No idea how that happened.

Someone asked where I was sitting. Admittedly it was in the side fills, but I don't think that's an excuse. There are no cheap tickets at these shows, and having sat there, in nearly exactly the same seat for Tool in the same venue, where the sound was perfect, I know how the venue can sound.

The problem is speakers. They are only pointing in two directions, and there aren't enough of them. Too many bass bins being used to fortify the sound.

Anyway it's done with now, and I look forward to the tour DVD so I can hear the amazing set they played properly.

Next tour ill be paying. For the even more expensive tix.

If you were using a smartphone, and you had a bad signal, that is how you're thread got posted multiple times. You kept hitting the "post" button, and your signal was bad, and it never showed your post, so you kept hitting it, and hitting it, again, and we got 4 threads. No biggie. That's what admins are for.

I think it was the multiple threads, rather than the complaining itself.

Not to mention the "banning" comment was obviously sarcastic and not an actual suggestion.

Maybe you should get you're ears checked.