Playstation 4

Lost In Xanadu

PS1 should be backwards compatible until they stop reading CDs. PS2 games require a special chip which is rather pricey to produce. PS3 games probably won't play because they are no longer using that bizarre multi celled architecture the PS3 had. They said it outright that PS3 games would likely be unplayable without their Gekai streaming service.

I'm very impressed with the specs. That there is a current high end build gaming PC. It has 8GB of RAM. Xbox used 0.5 GB. The PS3 did too but half of it was virtual memory (slower overall). This makes the next generation very promising because the last generation was a medium end PC when the consoles came out. Keep in mind that since these machines have a unified architecture developers get to squeeze a whole lot more power out of them than with an equivalent PC.

Personally I was very underwhelmed with the rest of the presentation. Everything was basically one big buzz word and casual/multimedia audience targeted. The obscene amount of social media integration is also steering me away. I don't want the world to know I just beat XxX 360 quickScop3z 420 XxX in a deathmatch and I don't want that guy to know my real name.

They demo of sleeping dogs was amazing, but it was run on a PC simulating the PS4s specs. Unless they have more to unveil or Microsoft cleans up their act with the new xbox, I'm going to PC.

• Like 2

The only time that ever had me interested in a purchasing gaming console was the fact that the PS3 had blue-ray and internet connectivity. I opted for just a BD player with bells and whistles but the PS3 was pretty competitively priced within about $100. I just can never get interested in console gaming.

I thought they decided to remove backwards compatibility from the PS4 (or is called the Durango?) in favor of a lower price, since backwards compatibility was one of the things that made the original PS3 so costly.

Nah. Once you go from great but radically different physical architecture back to the basic design, a lot of things change. They MIGHT be able to make a patch that emulates PS3 architecture in the same way computer emulators work but that would be difficult and time consuming for 0 profit.

This is not for me, I still have and happily use my PS2.

The furthest gen console I'll likely have for awhile is my 360.

I don't want the world to know I just beat XxX 360 quickScop3z 420 XxX in a deathmatch and I don't want that guy to know my real name.

Yeah you know what I finally got my wireless connection working better at home and I didn't realize whenever anybody logs in to take a dump you get an on-screen message about it. What if you wanted to log in and play some BAMBI, SCOURGE OF THE FOREST? God damn, everybody'd know and then how could you show your face around? Unless there's an option to log in privately, who knows?

I don't want the world to know I just beat XxX 360 quickScop3z 420 XxX in a deathmatch and I don't want that guy to know my real name.

Yeah you know what I finally got my wireless connection working better at home and I didn't realize whenever anybody logs in to take a dump you get an on-screen message about it. What if you wanted to log in and play some BAMBI, SCOURGE OF THE FOREST? God damn, everybody'd know and then how could you show your face around? Unless there's an option to log in privately, who knows?

I'd play Bambi: Scourge of the forest. It sounds like what would happen if Disney contacted Platinum Games and offered them any franchise license (the guys responsible for Beyonetta and MGS Rising). Also they just clarified that you can turn social features off while implying that whoever does is a loner.

Being a Sony supporter is hard for this one. I think they should have waited until E3 to announce this. I understand the competition with Microsoft, but something about the PS4 doesn't sit well with me. It relies too much on cloud support for my tastes, and it's not backwards compatible with PS3 discs. I might be persuaded to actually buy one if:

1. It's reasonably priced (We all know how much the PS3 was at ITS launch)

2. I don't have to rebuy ALL my downloadable games on PSN

3. I can have the option of digitally backing up my physical PS3 discs

4. There is no used game block (which was announced already)

I realize Sony is trying to push a boundary here, but they aren't even halfway to the border. Relying on cloud gaming and social networking (the "Share" button in particular makes me cringe) makes console gaming look even more unappealing to majority PC players like me. I understand that the share option is optional, but why have it there in the first place? Who's going to really care if you got a trophy in some game? I get that console makers try to appeal to the more casual gamers among us, but they shouldn't be stooping to the level of Twitter and Facebook sharing. Leave that to mobile computing.

Being a Sony supporter is hard for this one. I think they should have waited until E3 to announce this. I understand the competition with Microsoft, but something about the PS4 doesn't sit well with me. It relies too much on cloud support for my tastes, and it's not backwards compatible with PS3 discs. I might be persuaded to actually buy one if:

I realize Sony is trying to push a boundary here, but they aren't even halfway to the border. Relying on cloud gaming and social networking (the "Share" button in particular makes me cringe) makes console gaming look even more unappealing to majority PC players like me. I understand that the share option is optional, but why have it there in the first place? Who's going to really care if you got a trophy in some game? I get that console makers try to appeal to the more casual gamers among us, but they shouldn't be stooping to the level of Twitter and Facebook sharing. Leave that to mobile computing.

1. Rumored price is $499 for base model, $599 for pro model. What that means, we don't know. Probably similar to the WiiU

2. It's confirmed that all PS3 purchases will NOT be compatible with PS4, but trophies/PSN account carry over.

3. Not happening. It would be so easy to sell a game right after you back it up.

4. They confirmed there isn't.

i agree, and mostly agree with everyone, I will stay with my PS3 (and the only reason I bought it, was because my toddler went berserk on it, and the 3 was at 200 with remote and GoW trilogy when I went to bestbuy) and wait until the 4 goes down in price and/or my 3 goes down. :rush:

I'll definitely pick a PS4 up at some point...but at this current state, I think it's too soon for me to jump to the next gen consoles. I've owned a PS3 for only 3 years which to me doesn't seem that long for a console, and I've recently traded my PS3 Slim for a white "Super Slim" in February. The games I've seen during the PS4 conference do make me excited for this current gen of games, cause I lost my interest in gaming for awhile.

I'll definitely pick a PS4 up at some point...but at this current state, I think it's too soon for me to jump to the next gen consoles. I've owned a PS3 for only 3 years which to me doesn't seem that long for a console, and I've recently traded my PS3 Slim for a white "Super Slim" in February. The games I've seen during the PS4 conference do make me excited for this current gen of games, cause I lost my interest in gaming for awhile.

Fun fact: prior to this generation of consoles, which are currently 8 years old, the average console generation lasted 5 years (meaning 5 years between the launch of a console and the launch of its successor).

I still have my N64. What is this I don't even.

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of my SNES and my significant other's NES.

• Like 1

1. Rumored price is $499 for base model, $599 for pro model. What that means, we don't know. Probably similar to the WiiU

2. It's confirmed that all PS3 purchases will NOT be compatible with PS4, but trophies/PSN account carry over.

3. Not happening. It would be so easy to sell a game right after you back it up.

4. They confirmed there isn't.

That right there is utter garbage. Between all of my game add-ons (mainly Rock Band & Rocksmith), and other games, I have spent hundreds of dollars...and it will be all for not. Trophies mean very little to me, whereas my money and downloads mean a heck of a lot more. Wow...terrible.

There's one big reason I won't be rushing out to get a PS4. I'm happy with my PS3 for now.