OMG—Rolling Stone's review of new 5.1 2112 release

Tombstone Mountain

An extremely positive, 4 out of 5 star review and people complain because of one line about the second side, which is wholly irrelevant to the album's reputation.

Note: I love the second side, but the album has its classic/landmark status even among non-fans because of how perfectly the narrative of the title track dovetails with the band's career to that point. "The Twilight Zone" and "Tears" are great songs, but the album's reissue-worthiness is not changed by the presence of them. It wouldn't matter what's on the second side.

Also, Rob Sheffield's two books Love is a Mixtape and Talking to Girls About Duran Duran are both very much worth reading. The guy's knowledge and passion isn't really up for debate.

• Like 1

An extremely positive, 4 out of 5 star review and people complain because of one line about the second side, which is wholly irrelevant to the album's reputation.

Note: I love the second side, but the album has its classic/landmark status even among non-fans because of how perfectly the narrative of the title track dovetails with the band's career to that point. "The Twilight Zone" and "Tears" are great songs, but the album's reissue-worthiness is not changed by the presence of them. It wouldn't matter what's on the second side.

Also, Rob Sheffield's two books Love is a Mixtape and Talking to Girls About Duran Duran are both very much worth reading. The guy's knowledge and passion isn't really up for debate.

sorry dude...this guy's a douche...and that's not up for debate
  • Like 1

condescending the whole way thru as usual
  • Like 1

Anyone have that awkward moment in high school when you made fun of the easily picked-on smart kid (who you secretly respected because you knew he was that much smarter than you), only to find out that wasn't the cool thing to do anymore? And so everyone, from losers to cool kids, thought you were a douche for awhile?

Well, Rob Sheffield had that high school moment a bit late, on a national stage, in print. Boy, I bet that stings.

• Like 2

LMAO! God forbide if critics don't just fall over Rush and everything they do or have done.

Know what though? That is why I have enjoyed Rush since 1979......the "voices of reason" loathed them. The remark regarding the RRHOF - interesting....I still believe they got the nod 'cos they wished the detractors to just go away and leave them along. Just my .02.

I dream of the day that Rush becomes unpopular again....perhaps then I can feel good about enjoying what the "masses" don't. I look forward to much more trash talk regarding Rush...it is called VALIDATION....RRHOF validates NOTHING!

• Like 1

Rob Sheffield's two favorite songs of 2012?

Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen

We are Never Ever Getting Back Together by Taylor Swift

I am not kidding.

http://www.rollingst...f-2012-20121220

Good thing RS had him review 2112 5.1.

Because that makes sense....

I actually don't care if a reviewer is biased, or if he likes or dislikes a band or release. I do, however, ask that they actually comment on the release itself. I've personally owned 2112 since around 1981 or so. I'm sure some here have owned it since 1976. Is it too much to ask for Sheffied to comment on this version, and explain why, or why not, I should buy it?
  • Like 1

I actually don't care if a reviewer is biased, or if he likes or dislikes a band or release. I do, however, ask that they actually comment on the release itself. I've personally owned 2112 since around 1981 or so. I'm sure some here have owned it since 1976. Is it too much to ask for Sheffied to comment on this version, and explain why, or why not, I should buy it?

Exactly my thoughts...why is this album appearing in your magazine and is it worth my money and time. Not asking much

Man this version kicks so much ass....What a treat. I'm loving this version so much. Anybody else get it?

I was going to buy it but Sheffield convinced me to save my money and buy "Call Me Maybe" instead. :)