Lost In Xanadu

How legit is the RRHOF?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. How legit is the RRHOF?

• 10 - Totally legit
    • 5 - Bit of a joke, still kinda cool
    • 0 - Not legit at all

I was nice. I gave them a 3 tongue.gif

My Rush bias and love aside, the RRHOF has zero credibility. It has nothing to do with music and everything to do with politics and shock value and MTV appearances involving lude and/or obnoxious behavior. It also has a lot to do with mainstream popularity, which, thankfully, Rush has typically avoided. Not to be outdone though, they will be inducted by the arrogant pricks at the Hall. Why? Because Lifeson stated in an interview that they don't really want them there and they (meaning Rush) don't really wanna be there. So, just to spite they're going to induct them. I hope Lifeson has the nerve to tell them to f**k off. If any of the three of them could get that offended to actually say something off color in front of a camera, I imagine it would be Alex.

they're only legit in that everyone seems to accept that they are legit. Kind of like how everyone agrees gold is valuable even though it is just a rock we dig up from the ground.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 8 2012, 06:27 PM)
they're only legit in that everyone seems to accept that they are legit. Kind of like how everyone agrees gold is valuable even though it is just a rock we dig up from the ground.

Please sir, if you continue to make this much sense the government may take steps to silence you.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Oct 8 2012, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Oct 8 2012, 06:27 PM)
they're only legit in that everyone seems to accept that they are legit.  Kind of like how everyone agrees gold is valuable even though it is just a rock we dig up from the ground.

Please sir, if you continue to make this much sense the government may take steps to silence you.

Well, I do think a lot of people just seem to accept that since it's called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it must mean that it actually is the holy grail, the ultimate representation of the best blah blah blah. They just take it at face value that it is what they say it is, and that's why they want Rush in it so badly. When really, I could just as easily put a little table on my front lawn with a cardboard sign that says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and have just as much credibility as the other one does.

Edited by Shreddy Lee

"I could just as easily put a little table on my front lawn with a cardboard sign that says Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and have just as much credibility as the other one does".

How can my band get into this hall of fame? hahaha.

RRHOF credibility = less than zero.

And in my opinion it still will have no credibility if Rush gets in.

QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Oct 7 2012, 08:29 PM)
If ABBA and Madonna can get in before KISS or Rush it's a joke.

ABBA and Madonna have been far more influential than Rush. ABBA should have been recognised years ago for their songwriting and arrangements and also because a group from Sweden, of all places, went on to rule the world.

The way I see it is that the fanboys will consider the RRHOF to be very relevant if Rush get in and not at all if they don't.

And stop mentioning Kiss in the same breath as Rush (or Madonna and ABBA for that matter) they were a cheesy pop band with stage props and now they're a touring embarrassment with no props.

Let's face it-Many of these so called "awards" for rock and roll started up because of the Grammy's reluctance to recognize rock groups many years ago. Dick Clark started the American Music Awards and then others followed. The Hall of Fame is a nice thing but it is just something spurred on by this "revenge" against the Grammy's.

Ultimately, getting into the Hall for music is based on many factors including critics and how broad an audience you reach(can't say RUSH has a huge female following). Those two things are taken into account and Rush hasn't quite fit in as the others have. The Hall of Fame is simply a way to kiss someone's butt once a year. Does RUSH really need that?

QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 9 2012, 12:03 PM)

ABBA and Madonna have been far more influential than Rush. ABBA should have been recognised years ago for their songwriting and arrangements and also because a group from Sweden, of all places, went on to rule the world.

The problem is that ABBA and Madonna aren't rock. Yes they were a much more influential bands than Kiss, but they produced POP music. How does a pop artist end up in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame?

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 9 2012, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 9 2012, 12:03 PM)

The problem is that ABBA and Madonna aren't rock. Yes they were a much more influential bands than Kiss, but they produced POP music. How does a pop artist end up in the ROCK AND ROLL hall of fame?

How does Rush play Rock N Roll? Like A Virgin is closer to Love me Tender than Clockwork Angels is.

It's just semantics.

Rush aside, I think Deep Purple's snub (until this year), Van Halen's delayed induction and Madonna's and ABBA's induction (they're pop, not rock) speaks volumes about the selection criteria.

Legitimate? Sure. You can't deny the influence of most of the enshrined. There are some extremely talented acts in the RRHOF. Some really questionable choices too. I gave them a 3 since the induction criteria feels more like choosing sides in a schoolroom popularity contest.

trink39.gif

If the name of it was the Pop Music Hall of Fame, we'd have less to complain about. Some of the acts in it now have nothing to do with rock 'n roll or rock.

If you think about it, Rush isn't a rock 'n roll band either. As someone earlier said, it's all about semantics and what this or that is called. If they're going to include rap guys and acts like ABBA, Madonna, etc, they should include country bands too.

That would be really weird, but it would be fair. Until they change the name to the Pop Music HOF, they should include everyone.

I'd like to see a separate "Rock Music" HOF. Then, JUST rock bands and artists would be eligible.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Oct 10 2012, 05:37 AM)
QUOTE (New World Kid @ Oct 7 2012, 07:48 PM)
Music is inherently subjective. The founders of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame have no more right to decide Hall of Fame musicians as I do.

It's a really nice tourist trap.

Exactly right!!!!

I agree to a point. I can recognize that music that I don't like may stil merit inclusion in the hall.

I voted 4 on this as it is more than a bit of a joke, but it still is a little cool as well.