Alex Lifeson vs Eddie Van Halen

vital signz

Rush = Geddy, Neil and Alex.

Van Halen = EVH and those other guys haha.

EVH vs May, no shame in that. Two brilliant guitarists in my opinion.

Dynamics and speed = EVH

Tone and texture = May.

Even though the whole scoring was a bit messed up, it is kind of cool to have a totally non-RS approved list in the end, with the normal top slot holders (e.g. Hendrix, Page, Clapton etc) shaken up.

And, seeing Alex at #3 of such a list makes me smile.gif cat.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Oct 10 2012, 04:07 AM)
QUOTE (JARG @ Oct 9 2012, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Oct 8 2012, 07:00 PM)
As others have said, Hendrix is always going to win the top spot anyway, so what does it really matter.

Man, I feel bad for anyone who got paired up with Hendrix. Especially the first bracket. That's just not fair.

It's down to Van Halen vs. May.

Someone, somewhere has rigged the thing if that's the case. May taking out Page and Hendrix? Not a chance in the real world.

He took out Jeff Beck, too. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Brian May, but I love me some Jeff Beck even more.

Did poor Gary Moore get taken out in the first round? sad.gif That's just not acceptable. dazed025.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Oct 12 2012, 09:50 AM)
alex is the best guitarist ever. here is a guy who understands that as good as he may be, it's not all about him. he strikes the perfect balance every time.

goodpost.gif

I did my own best guitarist poll-thingy (using the guitarists from Guitar Player) and ended up with Django Reinhardt vs Ritchie Blackmore in the final battle.

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 12 2012, 07:16 PM)
I did my own best guitarist poll-thingy (using the guitarists from Guitar Player) and ended up with  Django Reinhardt vs Ritchie Blackmore in the final battle.

Who won?

Blackmore via having more fingers hahaha.

Nah seriously though I'd give Blackmore the hypothetical win, but damn Django was something real special. Imagine if he had access to all the 'trickery' of today's shredders (delay effects, noise gates etc)? Two fingers of fury.

QUOTE (thirteen @ Oct 12 2012, 07:38 PM)

Nah seriously though I'd give Blackmore the hypothetical win, but damn Django was something real special. Imagine if he had access to all the 'trickery' of today's shredders (delay effects, noise gates etc)? Two fingers of fury.

Totally agree. yes.gif

Blackmore was the finest of them all, imo. He usually gets crowded out in favor of Jimi or Jimmy. Good choice!

Of course, it is all rather superfluous. They are all great players each with their own wonderful and unique style.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 8 2012, 06:35 AM)
Eddie just does stupid tapping shit. He is one of many same sounding late 70's, 80's guitarists.

Don' tell me "You're wrong" or "You're on crack" or whatever whimsical retort you have. It's not going to change my opinion.
As a former guitarist, I never EVER wanted to EVER Idolize that horrible man. His talent isn't the best either.

Alex is an AWESOME guitar player, and has more emotion in his fingertips than Eddie does in his whole body. f**k technical shit. Emotional playing is where it actually comes from.

I've got to agree...I think Alex is clearly the better player and superior all around musician. I look at it like this: Alex could most likely learn the VH material and do a credible job playing a gig with them whereas I have my doubts how well Eddie could pull off playing a full Rush show.

So they ended up with a final pairing of Eddie Van Halen & Brian May? That's pretty weak.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 12 2012, 06:50 PM)

Totally agree. yes.gif

Blackmore was the finest of them all, imo. He usually gets crowded out in favor of Jimi or Jimmy. Good choice!

Of course, it is all rather superfluous. They are all great players each with their own wonderful and unique style.

trink39.gif

Blackmore's way way up there in my book. I think of him as the missing link between Hendrix and Van Halen.

Someone who never gets enough recognition in these types of discussions is Peter Green.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 12 2012, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 8 2012, 06:35 AM)
Eddie just does stupid tapping shit. He is one of many same sounding late 70's, 80's guitarists.

Don' tell me "You're wrong" or "You're on crack" or whatever whimsical retort you have. It's not going to change my opinion.
As a former guitarist, I never EVER wanted to EVER Idolize that horrible man. His talent isn't the best either.

Alex is an AWESOME guitar player, and has more emotion in his fingertips than Eddie does in his whole body. f**k technical shit. Emotional playing is where it actually comes from.

I've got to agree...I think Alex is clearly the better player and superior all around musician. I look at it like this: Alex could most likely learn the VH material and do a credible job playing a gig with them whereas I have my doubts how well Eddie could pull off playing a full Rush show.

As I said earlier, Alex is my favorite guitarist by far, but I think you have it backwards: Alex would struggle to pull off Eddie's licks and Eddie would find Alex's stuff a walk in the park.

Edited by JARG

I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, and I get a real kick out of some of the comments in this thread. Sure Alex is a great guitarist, but the best? Not even close....no chance. Of course on this board, lots of people are going to say that. Also, I'm willing to bet that Ed could easily play most of Al's guitar parts like nothing, not the other way around.

Edited by WCFIELDS

QUOTE (traeplien @ Oct 12 2012, 06:08 PM)
If the guitarists in this poll were the ones voting, Hendrix would have smeared all comers. Ask the great guitarists who was the best ever, and you'll have the proper result.

This. They all worship at the altar of Jimi, even someone as great as SRV, Clapton, etc. I read or heard an interview with Alex where he said something along the lines of Hendrix going way beyond what anyone had ever done before or since.

Jimi's not my favorite, Gilmour is. But, "greatest" starts and ends with Hendrix IMO.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Oct 13 2012, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 12 2012, 06:50 PM)

Totally agree. yes.gif

trink39.gif

Blackmore's way way up there in my book. I think of him as the missing link between Hendrix and Van Halen.

Someone who never gets enough recognition in these types of discussions is Peter Green.

Peter Green. Good call. yes.gif Lindsey Buckingham is a great player too.

trink39.gif

EVH was a new sound in the wake of Jimmy/Jimi domination.

The attitude of VH came from David Lee Roth... The cover songs mixed with originals and the fresh sounding solos. The riff on the first albums were standouts. Ain't Talking 'bout Love. Jamie's Crying.

Alex is a great guitarist in his own way. Too complicated to explain, because his style is Bruce Lee -- not having a 'style'. He reinvents himself every couple of albums. I'm just so proud that Alex Lifeson, after being the most underrated member of RUSH, he is getting a lot of good recognition.

Edited by ThinkingBig

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Oct 15 2012, 11:54 AM)
Alex is a great guitarist in his own way.  Too complicated to explain, because his style is Bruce Lee -- not having a 'style'.  He reinvents himself every couple of albums. I'm just so proud that Alex Lifeson, after be the most underrated member of RUSH is getting a lot of good recognition.

goodpost.gif