Exit Stage Left

Mieko8

Hi, I'm new here. Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. Has anyone ever seen the entire Exit Stage Left concert? Does it even exist? We've all seen the video and we all know it doesn't include the entire show. I'd love to see The Camera Eye, Vital Signs, Witch Hunt, Spirit of Radio, and the others excluded from the released version. Thanks....

QUOTE (goose @ Oct 3 2012, 11:14 PM)
It must exist, but has not been released.

FYI, the "RUSH" page would be a better place for this topic.

Welcome, mate! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mieko8 @ Oct 3 2012, 11:11 PM)
Hi, I'm new here. Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere. Has anyone ever seen the entire Exit Stage Left concert? Does it even exist? We've all seen the video and we all know it doesn't include the entire show. I'd love to see The Camera Eye, Vital Signs, Witch Hunt, Spirit of Radio, and the others excluded from the released version. Thanks....

Not to mention Jacob's Ladder.

This is an old topic which us older Rush fans have also wondered.The other question is why is the soundtrack to the video different to the CD and in my opinion better. They must have recorded The Camera Eye for example as it's sort of in the video,and the whole of YYZ for the same reason.

Some Rush fans say the tapes weren't kept or that they deteriorated in quality so can't be restored.

I saw two nights at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto... on the Moving Pictures Tour.

The only thing I remember for sure is that they opened with 2112, then went into the either Limelight or the Spirit of Radio. (Not sure which one.) They did not play Witch Hunt on that tour.

I have the ESL DVD and I was dissapointed when I watched it because they didn't start with 2112. It was edited out... they started with Limelight on the DVD, as I'm sure you already know.

They also didn't include Neil's solo, other than in the background with some concert commentary. Excluding Neil's drum solo is grounds for a jail sentence in my opinion!!

1287.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Oct 6 2012, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Mieko8 @ Oct 3 2012, 11:11 PM)
Hi, I'm new here.  Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.  Has anyone ever seen the entire Exit Stage Left concert?  Does it even exist?  We've all seen the video and we all know it doesn't include the entire show.  I'd love to see The Camera Eye, Vital Signs, Witch Hunt, Spirit of Radio, and the others excluded from the released version.  Thanks....

Not to mention Jacob's Ladder.

JL wasn't played on the MP tour. The version on ESL is from the Permanent Waves tour. wink.gif

I'm one of those who believes that if there was any extra Exit...Stage Left film/video, it's beyond usable at this point.

Audio may be a different story.

Jacob's Ladder was from a UK performance in 1980 and Witch Hunt was first played on the Grace Under Pressure Tour in 1984 when they felt they were able to play it given the technological advancements made at that time.

Vital Signs live, which became a B-side on the New World Man single, was considered for release on the Exit...Stage Left album as was Natural Science (which was never made commercially available live from that time period), according to a Neil Peart interview from around that time.

Why would any tape or video not released be unusable. At that time when it was released video cassettes were fairly new, they only used an edited 60 minutes for release. For some reason they did not have someone go back and use the full concert films when releasing dvd's. I'm sure the rest of the tape from all 3 1980's concert films are saved and store where they can't be damaged.

QUOTE (rocketom @ Oct 6 2012, 09:25 PM)
Why would any tape or video not released be unusable. At that time when it was released video cassettes were fairly new, they only used an edited 60 minutes for release. For some reason they did not have someone go back and use the full concert films when releasing dvd's. I'm sure the rest of the tape from all 3 1980's concert films are saved and store where they can't be damaged.

I don't think there was much thought given to rereleasing these much further down the line.

I think if it wasn't released the first time it would have ended up on the cutting room floor and forgotten about.

The bonus Different Stages disc wasn't the whole show either.

That lucky find was to have been a radio broadcast (according to Geddy) that was scrapped at the last minute because Geddy wasn't feeling well that evening and and decided it wasn't good enough to broadcast later and it was eventually forgotten about.

I'd have thought if they were going to release this it should have been the whole thing (The show wasn't that much longer.)

I suppose you could argue that it wouldn't have made sense to add another disc or that there were problems with the handful of songs they left off.

But I'd also think that Mercury/Polygram/ Island Def Jam/Universal Vivendi would have mined whatever was left over given their habit of releasing compilations and reissues and an accelerated rate over the last 10 years.

While there are likely other full or partial recording in the Rush vault (St. Louis 1980 for one..and who can say for certain if there's more than the 75 minutes already broadcast there) I don't think there's much if anything related to what's already been released in some form from Exit...Stage Left and to a lesser extent Grace Under Pressure and A Show Of Hands.

I don't think we'll ever know for sure unless someone comes out and says so.

QUOTE (rocketom @ Oct 6 2012, 10:25 PM)

This was discussed in this thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=77916&hl=

My post in that thread:

The concerts were surely filmed in their entirety, but that doesn't mean that the footage is still around.  Back then, video storage was much more expensive and took up a lot more room than it does now, and it wasn't customary to produce follow-up releases with the unused footage.  Therefore, original shoot tapes from concerts was usually recycled by being magnetically erased in a process called "degaussing" once the edited broadcast program had been produced. 

Sadly, it is highly unlikely that there is much of anything usable left from those shoots that has not been released.

This information comes from a video professional who has worked in the field since the 80s.

I'd love to see it as well.

Yeah, JL wasn't played during the MP tour, nor was Witch Hunt. It wasn't performed live until the GuP tour.

It's possible the a live version of Vital Signs might be hanging around somewhere. It was left off of the Exit...Stage Left album but appeared as the B-side to the New World Man single.

FWIW - I contacted a Rich Dalton of St. Louis radio station fame sometime back and asked him about the 1980 show. I specifically asked if the radio stations had the full concert and to his knowledge they did not.

It's too bad Rush isn't going back to the venue that the 1980 show is from - it's been renovated and reopened, and the acoustics are much better than the Scottrade Center, which is primarily a hockey arena (excepting right now).

There is an old Rockline interview from years ago where someone called in and asked whether the older concert videos (ESL, P/G Tour, ASOH) would one day be released as complete shows, and Geddy said that the unused footage was likely "thrown out".