Funny no one has picked up on this

Supersyl

QUESTION

: The set list seems to still be in flux on these early tour dates, and it's definitely got fans' attention.

ANSWER: What happened is the thing that always happens -- the set was much longer than what we had to limit ourselves to. We didn't want to get rid of those songs, so we picked a Set A and a Set B, and since then we've been tweaking it a bit, playing a couple and moving them around. I mentioned to Ged the other day: It's kind of nice to arrive at a gig in the afternoon and decide which songs to switch out that night and keep it mysterious, especially now that everything is blogged and tweeted and e-mailed.

And it's been a whole set list controversy. Having a deep catalog like this makes it difficult to play enough songs that everybody wants to hear. Everybody has their favored and less favored songs. Rush fans are great at debating the merits of songs. And good at expressing their disappointment and elation. (Laughs)

We don't usually do this type of thing, so we may get back in our usual groove. I'd be an advocate for some other stuff, songs we didn't prepare perhaps.

Full Article (Detroit Free Press)

http://www.freep.com/article/20120916/ENT0...nstream-respect

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 19 2012, 08:20 PM)
QUESTION
: The set list seems to still be in flux on these early tour dates, and it's definitely got fans' attention.

ANSWER: What happened is the thing that always happens -- the set was much longer than what we had to limit ourselves to. We didn't want to get rid of those songs, so we picked a Set A and a Set B, and since then we've been tweaking it a bit, playing a couple and moving them around. I mentioned to Ged the other day: It's kind of nice to arrive at a gig in the afternoon and decide which songs to switch out that night and keep it mysterious, especially now that everything is blogged and tweeted and e-mailed.

And it's been a whole set list controversy. Having a deep catalog like this makes it difficult to play enough songs that everybody wants to hear. Everybody has their favored and less favored songs. Rush fans are great at debating the merits of songs. And good at expressing their disappointment and elation. (Laughs)

We don't usually do this type of thing, so we may get back in our usual groove. I'd be an advocate for some other stuff, songs we didn't prepare perhaps.

I saw the article on another Rush blog this morning. It gives those of us who are not big fans of PW and GUP some hope for more tweeks in the set. Ive read were some of the shows havent sold particularly well, a coralation perhaps?

Actually, I think it's Geddy who's the more obsessive one... There's this notion that every Rush "problem" comes from Neil, but I've always believed they come more from Geddy... Look at Neil, with all his instructional DVD's, his jazz stuff, his motorcycle riding, his books, his internet postings... He gets all the bad rap, when honestly, I think it's Geddy dragging Rush down... He reminds me of people I know, who would never, at any cost try something just for the heck of it... Big Al doesn't care one way or the other... He's happy to be along for the ride, and enjoys every minute of it!

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 19 2012, 09:44 PM)
Actually, I think it's Geddy who's the more obsessive one... There's this notion that every Rush "problem" comes from Neil, but I've always believed they come more from Geddy... Look at Neil, with all his instructional DVD's, his jazz stuff, his motorcycle riding, his books, his internet postings... He gets all the bad rap, when honestly, I think it's Geddy dragging Rush down... He reminds me of people I know, who would never, at any cost try something just for the heck of it... Big Al doesn't care one way or the other... He's happy to be along for the ride, and enjoys every minute of it!

I think you have no freakin' clue of what your talking about.

QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 19 2012, 08:44 PM)

I think it's a bit unfair to make that claim. I believe Geddy has mentioned many times before that he's a perfectionist and very methodical compared to Alex, so perhaps there is the potential that he may be less lenient with band affairs (e.g. what songs performed). But you also have to remember that Geddy doesn't have just one role in the band. He's playing 3 instruments: bass, keyboards/pedals, and also performing vocal duties. He has a lot on his plate (only increasing the already present pressure), so it's only natural to potentially be stricter. Of course, all speculation. No actual proof on who is or who isn't stricter with band affairs and it would be unfair to fervently state such.

Edited by GUP1771

really the only feedback from the shows they care about is ticket sales.

the set list has has always been their weak spot and they remain slaves to their visual production.....

grow a pair like elvis costello, put your tunes on a wheel of fortune device and let it rip...... cool10.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 20 2012, 10:14 AM)
grow a pair like elvis costello, put your tunes on a wheel of fortune device and let it rip...... cool10.gif

Midnight Oil did that during their Redneck Wonderland tour and it was a great idea. And I mean they had stuff going back to the 70s on it, the first couple albums, rarities, etc.

It'd be like RUSH having a wheel with Jacob's Ladder, Something for Nothing, Fly by Night, The Necromancer, Losing It, Open Secrets, etc.

It would be cool!

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Sep 20 2012, 10:35 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 20 2012, 10:14 AM)
grow a pair like elvis costello, put your tunes on a wheel of fortune device and let it rip......  cool10.gif

Midnight Oil did that during their Redneck Wonderland tour and it was a great idea. And I mean they had stuff going back to the 70s on it, the first couple albums, rarities, etc.

It'd be like RUSH having a wheel with Jacob's Ladder, Something for Nothing, Fly by Night, The Necromancer, Losing It, Open Secrets, etc.

It would be cool!

never heard about midnight oil doing that. thats some music i have not listened to in along time. good stuff.

the wheel would be great. i wish they would set up camp for a week and play different sets every night.

i saw two rush tours twice and after the second hold your fire show, i was like thats it. i was into the dead at the time and would see them play multiple nights and the difference between the two groups attitudes could not be greater.

I really doubt,they will "tweak"the set list anymore...we are lucky

that there isnt just one set list,same songs every night period.Rush

has always been strict about the set lists even more so these days

they have to cooridinate,visuals, lights.pyro tech,and now a string

section in the mix...I Would love to be surprised!! goodpost.gif

Well they arent anything like Dave Matthews band for example who has a wildly different setlist every single night.

Rush is a very structured controlled band. Even though most of their songs really arent that complicated, they just seem to like to have a pretty set in stone setlist and only change out a couple songs here and there. No way to know if that just comes from 1 guy or if they are all just unwilling to learn all of their songs so that they could play them at any time. Something tells me they just dont feel like learning too many songs.

Even a band like Dream Theater who's songs are FAR more complex than Rush ever was switches up their set list constantly. Some are just more dedicated to knowing their own songs, and I guess Rush just likes to keep it simple for them.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Sep 20 2012, 11:16 AM)
It was Alex who pushed for By-Tor and the Snow Dog for the Vapor Trails Tour, so if he isn't the one behind the lesser-known songs, he at least has a very strong opinion regarding the older songs that can be played.

Well thats no surprise. I would imagine songs like that are just more fun for him to play than some of the 80s stuff when he was pushed in the background more.

It means nothing for the most part.

This setlist is pretty set in stone save for a song or two maybe being dropped and replaced.

But a overhaul is not even a remote possibility.

I think next year we will get a slight revamp but a lot of the same core of this AMAZING set list.

They already played R-30 and the TM tour.

Time for the mid 80's classics for that segment of their fan base.

Cool thing is....I love all their periods. It's all good to me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 11:04 AM)
Well they arent anything like Dave Matthews band for example who has a wildly different setlist every single night.

Well the big difference there is Rush's music is way more complex than Dave Matthews by far. For Rush to play an unstructured set list would require way more practice and preparation. Not to mention all the different visuals that go into making a show. Rush also has way more material to choose from than Dave Matthews. Therefore, I really don't think it's fair to compare those two bands. It's not even close to an "apples to apples" comparison...

Edited by rushfan88

QUOTE (zac2112 @ Sep 19 2012, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE (Supersyl @ Sep 19 2012, 08:20 PM)
QUESTION

I saw the article on another Rush blog this morning. It gives those of us who are not big fans of PW and GUP some hope for more tweeks in the set. Ive read were some of the shows havent sold particularly well, a coralation perhaps?

Nope. most tix are sold way before the tour starts. The TM tour was heavily advertised and Rush hadn't toured in a few years. CA was barely advertised and they just came off a tour that basically consisted of their greatest hits. Most audience members don't know the set either.

honestly, I think it's Geddy dragging Rush down... He reminds me of people I know, who would never, at any cost try something just for the heck of it...

I don't think anyone, anywhere, anytime, any place, under any circumstance has ever accused any of the boys of "dragging the band down."

wtf.gif

(Also, don't forget that Ged has routinely changed up lyrics in the past just to be goofy; e.g., "Catch the fish" and "we are the pirates of Syrinx, arrrrrrrrrr."

Zappa, (And others) I just mean Geddy seems like the one not into (or not into WANTING to learn) the older stuff... Like someone mentioned, Alex pushed for By-Tor... I'm sure Alex is ready to belt out any old tune at a moment's request (So is Neil probably because let's face it, most tunes are not THAT hard to play, except a few really epic parts--Middle of Jacob's Ladder-- you'd need to pratice a couple times)... But I get a feeling Geddy doesn't KNOW the songs... Look at last tour, he wouldn't even play the beginning of The Camera Eye... Just pressed a key to trigger the sample.. I think Geddy is a prisonner of all his techno stuff, and it affects his ability to just show up and play ANY song from memory... That's all... I'm not bashing Geddy. Just an observation as a llifelong Rush fan and musician. I love Geddy, I just wish he was more of a "Rush fan"... Like ""Oh, yeah Bastille Day! What a cool song Let's jam!!" That doesn't seem in his nature... And BTW, I'm very happy with the Setlist, I love all Rush eras, and those songs were awesome jam songs with my band back then! trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushfan88 @ Sep 20 2012, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 20 2012, 11:04 AM)

Well the big difference there is Rush's music is way more complex than Dave Matthews by far. For Rush to play an unstructured set list would require way more practice and preparation. Not to mention all the different visuals that go into making a show. Rush also has way more material to choose from than Dave Matthews. Therefore, I really don't think it's fair to compare those two bands. It's not even close to an "apples to apples" comparison...

Well I also brought up Dream Theater who is far more complex than Rush ever was, and they change up their set list all the time. You can just pick a random song of theirs and it will be much harder to play than any Rush song you can find, so it doesnt make sense why they do this and Rush doesnt. I just dont think Rush feels like learning 50 songs, but DT does so that you get a different show each night you see them. They have a lot of fans that go to many shows on each of their tours, so its nice of them to do that.

I myself am quite satisfied with the setlist as I have said before and more so, am very greatfull that Rush is playing on their own with NO opening act like most everyone else has and is doing.

QUOTE (Todem @ Sep 20 2012, 11:35 AM)
It means nothing for the most part.

This setlist is pretty set in stone save for a song or two maybe being dropped and replaced.

But a overhaul is not even a remote possibility.

I think next year we will get a slight revamp but a lot of the same core of this AMAZING set list.

They already played R-30 and the TM tour.

Time for the mid 80's classics for that segment of their fan base.

Cool thing is....I love all their periods. It's all good to me.

goodpost.gif

Agree 100%