Okay, time for me to be honest

FountainOfSyrinx

I'm only 17, and my mom passed away almost two months ago from complications to her liver. She never liked Rush really, because she always thought they were too hardcore. She thought Closer to the Heart was good, until it sounded "like Rush", which always cracked me and my Dad up.. Rush came out with Garden, she passed away about a month later, and it just hit me how much the song really means to me. It really clicks, because if she was here to hear it, she would love it, and she was the definition of loved and respected, which makes me feel like Neil is talking directly to me about my mom. It's her kind of music. The song itself is kind of about death, and the song itself is very beautiful. This never hit me until now, just how much it reminds me of her, and I think about of her every time I hear it. Alex's solo makes me almost cry (i'm a "no-emotion" teenager, ya know), because it's so full of emotion.

This song might be my favorite Rush song, ever. We will play it at her wake.

I had to get it off my chest, to people who'd understand.

Edited by FountainOfSyrinx

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 6 2012, 10:35 PM)
I'm only 17, and my mom passed away almost two months ago from complications to her liver. She never liked Rush really, because she always thought they were too hardcore. She thought Closer to the Heart was good, until it sounded "like Rush", which always cracked me and my Dad up.. Rush came out with Garden, she passed away about a month later, and it just hit me how much the song really means to me. It really clicks, because if she was here to hear it, she would love it, and she was the definition of loved and respected, which makes me feel like Neil is talking directly to me about my mom. It's her kind of music. The song itself is kind of about death, and the song itself is very beautiful. This never hit me until now, just how much it reminds me of her, and I think about of her every time I hear it. Alex's solo makes me almost cry (i'm a "no-emotion" teenager, ya know), because it's so full of emotion.

Beautifully put, young man. May your mom r.i.p rose.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Sep 6 2012, 10:52 PM)
I'm only 17, and my mom passed away almost two months ago from complications to her liver. She never liked Rush really, because she always thought they were too hardcore. She thought Closer to the Heart was good, until it sounded "like Rush", which always cracked me and my Dad up.. Rush came out with Garden, she passed away about a month later, and it just hit me how much the song really means to me. It really clicks, because if she was here to hear it, she would love it, and she was the definition of loved and respected, which makes me feel like Neil is talking directly to  me about my mom. It's her kind of music. The song itself is kind of about death, and the song itself is very beautiful. This never hit me until now, just how much it reminds me of her, and I think about of her every time I hear it. Alex's solo makes me almost cry (i'm a "no-emotion" teenager, ya know), because it's so full of emotion.

thanks for the kind words smile.gif

I get what you mean. Whenever someone dear to me, whether it's family or friends, passes away or moves to a different area. I always flip this song on. It will always give me an excuse to reminisce on the fantastic times we've had together and bring tears of joy to my eyes. It's a great, powerful, strong song for that lyrically and instrumentally. Not lying, I just got home from saying goodbye to my dear friend as she move she moves to California on Saturday. Right when I got in the car, I popped this song on and teared up the whole way home. lol..

Glad I'm not alone involving the same feelings with this song. May you take this song with you for the rest of your life with fond memories of your mother. It's a special song for many.

God bless you guys and may your mother RIP. She's in an awesome place watching over you guys...and Rush. wink.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Sep 6 2012, 10:52 PM)
I'm only 17, and my mom passed away almost two months ago from complications to her liver. She never liked Rush really, because she always thought they were too hardcore. She thought Closer to the Heart was good, until it sounded "like Rush", which always cracked me and my Dad up.. Rush came out with Garden, she passed away about a month later, and it just hit me how much the song really means to me. It really clicks, because if she was here to hear it, she would love it, and she was the definition of loved and respected, which makes me feel like Neil is talking directly to  me about my mom. It's her kind of music. The song itself is kind of about death, and the song itself is very beautiful. This never hit me until now, just how much it reminds me of her, and I think about of her every time I hear it. Alex's solo makes me almost cry (i'm a "no-emotion" teenager, ya know), because it's so full of emotion.

+1

QUOTE (pdurbin22 @ Sep 7 2012, 09:24 AM)
I bet Neil would be extremely proud to know that his lyrics have reached someone in such a way. Peace and love to your family, and it's always great to hear of young Rush fans!

Thanks good sir smile.gif

First of all, my deepest and sincerest of condolences to you.

Rush is the soundtrack of my life and "The Garden" is the soundtrack of life itself. Even after 3 months, I'm not ashamed to admit that I still get teary eyed at some point listening to that track. It has so many moving and touching parts (even that ties into the clock theme) at so many different times.

My mother who I am fortunate enough to still have around says that "The Garden is simply so beautiful". She is right. That's what your mother would say too. She would be so happy for you to be moved by this track, by this album and by this band. May that gift give you a bit of comfort during this very difficult time for you and your family.

QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 6 2012, 07:35 PM)

I'm sorry to hear about your Mama. You are picking a very beautiful song in memory of her. Even if she doesn't like Rush, she will like this song, I played it for my mom and it was the only song she was into from CA. Well OK, that's a start right? cool.gif

In my opinion it is a beautiful song to play to remind us of all of the stages of life. My fiance and I will be using it in our wedding.

Good choice, young one.

QUOTE (Jeffrey @ Sep 8 2012, 08:02 AM)
First of all, my deepest and sincerest of condolences to you.

Rush is the soundtrack of my life and "The Garden" is the soundtrack of life itself. Even after 3 months, I'm not ashamed to admit that I still get teary eyed at some point listening to that track. It has so many moving and touching parts (even that ties into the clock theme) at so many different times.

My mother who I am fortunate enough to still have around says that "The Garden is simply so beautiful". She is right. That's what your mother would say too. She would be so happy for you to be moved by this track, by this album and by this band. May that gift give you a bit of comfort during this very difficult time for you and your family.

Thanks for your kind words. Cherish every moment with your mom! smile.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Sep 9 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (FountainOfSyrinx @ Sep 6 2012, 07:35 PM)

I'm sorry to hear about your Mama. You are picking a very beautiful song in memory of her. Even if she doesn't like Rush, she will like this song, I played it for my mom and it was the only song she was into from CA. Well OK, that's a start right? cool.gif

In my opinion it is a beautiful song to play to remind us of all of the stages of life. My fiance and I will be using it in our wedding.

Good choice, young one.

Thanks for your kind words smile.gif

it's good to have good people like you here on TRF!

I am so very sorry to hear about your mother's passing.

As a mother, I can assure you that having you as her child was her greatest joy and made every struggle and pain she had to go through in this life more than worthwhile. You are the garden she nurtured. Peace and love. rose.gif heart.gif

Edited by Animate

I lost my Mom young too, I think it's totally amazing and beautiful to have a Rush song mean so much to you. Your Mom is proud of you. You are her greatest accomplishment. I am a Dad now with a 13 year old daughter. She is the best thing that ever happened to me and you are the best thing to happen to your Mom. What she would want from you is to move forward, remember what she taught you and enjoy your life.

Please do not let my complaints about the Rush show distract the fact that this is an important time for you. I am glad they mean so much to you. I am glad you love their music. I am glad they give you peace. I love my Mom and I love Rush too.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, and I do understand your pain. I lost my father back in 2010, when I was 18.

The Garden is a beautiful song, and I'm sure that the boys are proud to have written something so deeply affecting to us fans.

Dear FountainOfSyrinx,

I want to wish my most sincerest condolences to you.

Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

"The Garden" is such a beautiful song and I am quite certain that your Mom is smiling down upon you.

~Peace, RGLT rose.gif

Very sad. sad.gif I'm so sorry; may she rest in peace. It is very hard to lose a parent. rose.gif

Your song choice is beautiful and a wonderful way to remember her.

Love and respect. It is truly the measure of a life.

Peace. smile.gif

I think The Garden is one of Rush's most original and best composed songs ever. When I first heard it I thought, wow, this is different!

Hey, kid... losing a parent is a BIG bummer especially at your age. But, time heals (almost) everything. Chin up!! And, fast healing for you... listen to more Rush and you'll "get well soon!"