Clockwork Angels: The Novel Discussion

thizzellewashington

QUOTE (billybobjoe1881 @ Sep 17 2012, 10:26 PM)
I'd love to buy a second copy and mark down where all the RUSH lyrics are.

I started doing this. Quickly figured out to not mark any quotes from CA songs- there are just too many.

But it is fun for the rest of the catalogue... easy cals sometimes, harder others. For example, if the word Bravado is used in a sentence, without any other reference to the song, is it actually a reference to the song?

Basic question:

I keep reading here that it seems like it was written for a 12 year old.

So, I'm wondering if it would be a good read for my son (11). Is it appropriate for that age- content wise, language, etc? If it were a movie, what rating would it get -- G, PG, PG-13?

Thanks.

I'm halfway through...finally. I don't get a lot of "me" time to sit and read for an hour or two.

I think it would be suitable for that age, Alph Seeker. I've seen one offensive word so far and that was "shit." And I believe it was actually in reference to animal waste.

Owen and Francesca do spend a night together, but what they did was rather ambiguous at best.

I'd let my kids read it (based on what I've read so far) and they are 10 and 9.

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Sep 21 2012, 08:00 AM)
Basic question:

I keep reading here that it seems like it was written for a 12 year old.

So, I'm wondering if it would be a good read for my son (11). Is it appropriate for that age- content wise, language, etc? If it were a movie, what rating would it get -- G, PG, PG-13?

Thanks.

PG-13, definately. There are no bad languages or really visual images. Its actually pretty undetailed actually.

It would be ok for your 11 year old I think.

yes.gif

I picked up the book last night at the Columbus concert, which was excellent by the way, and have read some of Anderson's stuff, it's not great, but usually readable, so I have moderate expectations for the book. If it entertains I'll be happy, if it brings out more of the album I'll be ecstatic.

I no longer think there is a typical Rush fan. There are children to old geezers who can barely walk. Meth-heads like the guy sitting next to me at the concert who could barely string a sentence together, to philosophical and well-read people. My guess is the book is aimed at "general audiences" which is about as close as you can now get to current Rush fans. I'll post my specific thoughts after I read the book.

I finished the book and found I quite enjoyed it, actually. An easy and enjoyable read, I think.

Yes, there are many, many (many) Rush references. Lyric references appear both in direct quotes and inference. Sometimes while reading, I'd hear a song that wasn't written on the page directly but the imagery would paint itself in my mind's eye and I'd hear Cinderella Man, Grand Designs, Prime Mover or the final sliding note in MalNar, for example.

The novel provided a different, and previously unconsidered, point of view of some songs. Headlong Flight, for example, as being The Watchmaker's story. I liked that aspect of the novelization. Rather than detracting from own interpretation of CA album, it just provided an alternate interpretation. A companion unobtrusive.

My favorite reference was that Owen had "experienced two extremes". laugh.gif

I recommend it and think most Rush fans will enjoy it.

trink39.gif

I just finished it myself. I thought it was a pretty decent read, cheesy in some parts, but darn near amazing in others. It really does enhance the music though, and there are some pretty neat characters. The final "battle" scene was really well done, an awesome setting, and the imagery was really nice there. It would play out well in a movie I think. All in all, a fun little book with some pretty strong moments, that does nothing but bolster my opinion of the Clockwork Angels "project." Kudos to Neil and Kevin.

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Sep 22 2012, 12:42 PM)
I just finished it myself. I thought it was a pretty decent read, cheesy in some parts, but darn near amazing in others. It really does enhance the music though, and there are some pretty neat characters. The final "battle" scene was really well done, an awesome setting, and the imagery was really nice there. It would play out well in a movie I think. All in all, a fun little book with some pretty strong moments, that does nothing but bolster my opinion of the Clockwork Angels "project." Kudos to Neil and Kevin.

Agreed, This has been a great project by all involved and the book just adds the icing to the cake. I thought the battle scene could have been a bit longer and with a bit more tension.

cool.gif

Few more chapters.............this just get's better and better.................

..................so would it be be classified as Sci-Fi Fiction? I know it's also called Steampunk............

It really adds to the album lyrics and content.............a really must read to really understand the album........

"I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels"

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images...-vinyl-back.jpg

QUOTE (jc4gd @ Sep 25 2012, 10:42 PM)
Few more chapters.............this just get's better and better.................

..................so would it be be classified as Sci-Fi Fiction? I know it's also called Steampunk............

It really adds to the album lyrics and content.............a really must read to really understand the album........

"I have stoked the fire on the big steel wheels"

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/images...-vinyl-back.jpg

I agree, the book has realy added to my appreciation of the lyrics in the album.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

.............my wife (who doesn't listen to my music or Rush) starting reading it and has passed me up now close to the end.......

.........I didn't finish it yet.................don't want it to end...........

......................Owen Hardy Rules!!!

Just finished the book (Kindle addition on the iPad) last night. If you have not read it, you will be shocked at how many Rush lyrics are included...if you pick this book up and were not a Rush fan, you'd likely just dismiss it as wistful writing, but for those of us who know...wow.

Excellent read overall....

E

Reading it at the moment. There are some eek moments when lyrics from other Rush songs appear,like the page I just read had an obvious line from Time Stand Still.But non Rush fans wouldn't know that so....

Brilliant...........ending well done...........a movie should be made.........

I listened to the album (and loved it) continually for over a month when it first came out, now after reading the book when I listen to songs, there is a much deeper connection.

Owen Hardy Rules!

I'm only 1/4 through the book... and it seems ok so far...but honestly, each time I read old lyrics "cleverly" forced in (this includes song titles as well as random lyrics)... I know I'm supposed to smile...but instead I just find myself groaning... it's like Dr. Evil having to explain his homonym...

"I like to see girls of that...caliber. By caliber, of course, I mean both the size of their gun barrels and the high quality of their character. It's 2 meanings. Caliber--it's a homonym. Forget it."

I know it's supposed to be cool...but it's sadly ...not.

I almost feel like it's "slug-bug"...like every time I read a Rush lyric, I should punch someone in the arm... (or get punched)...gah

I just have a bad feeling this is gonna keep on going through the entire book... doh.gif

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Sep 7 2012, 05:53 AM)
I've only read the first three chapters that were previously downloadable. Kind of "meh", but I'm sure I'll eventually read the whole thing. I agree about the forced Rush references, but also think that we (hard-core Rush fans who frequent these forums) are a bit hyper-sensitive to those kids of things. It would be interesting to see how non-Rush fans react to this.

My real question for this group is this: has reading CA The Novel changed your thoughts and/or appreciation of CA The Album? If you don't like the book, do you find that dislike creeping in when listening to the CD?

Glad I'm not the only one.

Too much effort was spent on trying to be overly descriptive, choosing "the right words" and not enough on the character development.

It's great to read before bed

QUOTE (Torgo Satyr @ Oct 3 2012, 04:13 PM)
I almost feel like it's "slug-bug"...like every time I read a Rush lyric, I should punch someone in the arm... (or get punched)...gah

I just have a bad feeling this is gonna keep on going through the entire book... doh.gif

Oh, it does, it does... prepare for sore arms all around.

One or two - maybe three, tops - lyrics references would have been nice Easter eggs (the one referencing lyrics to Peaceable Kingdom for example... that one was one of the lesser-groaner ones for me) but instead it's like a 20 foot long pinata exploded over our heads and we're being bombarded. wink.gif

I just finished the book. I thought it was okay, but only okay and not worthy of the stellar album. It was a fun read but didn't really absorb me or create pictures in my head. I agree that the use of Rush lyrics was often forced and awkward, and only occasionally clever. I was very disappointed that they didn't do more with the "one of many possible worlds" concept, because the scene in the bookstore where Owen discovers that concept was the thing in the book that evoked my strongest positive reaction. I thought the rest of the story would revolve around that, but it didn't, which I think is a tremendous lost opportunity.