Caravan to Carnies

Gedneil Alpeart

CA is a musical journey in totality, but to me, the first five songs together are collectively some of the hardest hitting and most impressive run of songs they've ever put together. It's my third favorite five song consecutive run after 1. Tom Sawyer-Camera Eye and 2. Spirit of Radio-Different Strings. Signals five song sequence of Subdivisions-The Weapon is a VERY close fourth and would have beaten the run in CA were it not for Chemistry, which I am not a big fan of, but dont hate it either. Hemispheres technically has only 4 tracks total, so I did not count it in case you're wondering. I also love the five song sequence of Big Money-Territories, probably at fifth place with GUP's 2-6, Presto's 2-6, and Counterparts' first five right behind. For Presto, I would actually prefer tracks 2-6 instead of 1-5 just for liking the title song a lot more than Show Dont Tell, same with GUP for liking Kid Gloves a lot more than DEW.

Ok, now go ahead and taunt me by making threads about your favorite Rush 2,3,4,6,7 etc....Or some other similar mockery of this thread........it happens a lot here and I can see it already! laugh.gif

Yes, I agree! It's a great run of songs! Of course, I'd add the rest of the album since it's a continuation of the story and the songs are good, but the first five are a really good batch.

Unfortunately, I haven't really truly listened to them in a row, because for whatever reason my ipod lists 'The Anarchist' as track #1 and 'Caravan' is #3, so I have to remember to skip and backtrack the songs when I listen to the album. Whew. Not a big deal, really, but I realize the songs kind of segue into each other, so I lose out on that effect. May have to try to put on my ipod again - once I get the broken-computer thing figured out. eh.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 30 2012, 09:48 PM)
Absolutely!

When comparing CA to a MP or PW keep in mind all the extra recording time.

If Moving Pictures had 40 minutes, and you took Clockwork's best 40 minutes you'd have:

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight
The Garden

Not a bad album!

goodpost.gif

IMO, Caravan-Carnies is Rush's strongest 5-song-block.

Rush: not even 5 strong songs

FBN: not even 5 strong songs

COS: not even 5 strong songs (unless TFOL movements count separately)

2112: not even 5 strong songs (unless title track movements count separately)

AFTK: not even 5 strong songs (not a fan of Madrical or Cinderella Man)

Hem: not even 5 songs (unless title track movements count separately)

PeW: #5 (TSOR-DS, almost blocked by Entry Nous and DS is somewhat meh)

MP: #3 (Tom Sawyer-Camera Eye)

Sig: #4 (Subdivisions-The Weapon, almost blocked by Chemistry)

GUP: Too bad The Body Electric is right in the middle

PoW: #2 (Marathan-Mystic Rhythms)

HYF: spotty

Presto: spotty

RTB: 1st side almost makes it, but the title track rap kills it (and Face Up's choruses are a tad annoying)

CP: Speed of Love wrecks the run... Nobody's Hero and Stick It Out also hurt side 1

T4E: ugh

VT: almost (tracks 6-12 if it weren't for 8 and 10)

SnA: almost (tracks 6-9)

CA: #1 (Caravan-Carnies = freakin awesome)

Absolutely!

If Moving Pictures had 40 minutes, and you took Clockwork's best 40 minutes you'd have:

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight
The Garden

Not a bad album!

And that's actually ~5 minutes longer than MP.

I've made that same point a couple times: Just the first 5 CA tracks + Headlong Flight > all of Hemispheres or Permanent Waves. Add in another song and it's at 40-45 minutes.

I do think this a great thread for examining or ingesting a multi-song sequence.

Given that there are 11 songs on this album, there is only one or two tiny dull spots for me; I compare the flow of this album for me anyway--

These songs flow for me like Led Zeppelin 1,2,3 or 4 etc, Dark Side of the Moon or even Genesis?

It is so easy to wish me well for my next repeat of CA!

Woohoo!

: D

Very Impressive run indeed. I actually like the whole Caravan - Headlong Flight run. I think Halo Effect is a great little song. Which acts like a breather between all the awesomeness!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

This killer five-song opening has not escaped my attention! It really is an amazing run of songs before Halo Effect, which is still a very good song, but definitely brings the killer song sequence to a close.

Prior to that, there was the stellar three song intro to S&A, the amazing four song intro for CP, but really you have to go into the 80's to get five killer songs in a row.

HYF had five great songs, but admittedly Open Secrets and Second Nature weren't quite on the same level as Force Ten, Time Stand Still & Prime Mover, but then most of the albums prior to HYF had five great songs at the beginning. Often those weren't as noticeable since so often back then such a high standard was maintained throughout albums. Still, it's by far the best first five songs since the 80's, and that's pretty incredible. yes.gif

Can't say that I think the first 5 songs are better or worse than any other run mentioned, but...

I think it is terrible to compare by mere song count. Hemispheres can't count because it's only 4 songs? The title track is 18 minutes long.

Be fair and compare by timing. Caravan through Carnies = 30 minutes.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jul 31 2012, 05:59 AM)
Can't say that I think the first 5 songs are better or worse than any other run mentioned, but...

I think it is terrible to compare by mere song count. Hemispheres can't count because it's only 4 songs? The title track is 18 minutes long.

Be fair and compare by timing. Caravan through Carnies = 30 minutes.

I get your point. You could do it tat way.

trink39.gif

Absolutely!

Caravan
BU2B
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
Headlong Flight
The Garden

Not a bad album!

Yep.

Caravan is decent at best and BU2B is just a complete stinker - was from day one.

The following albums have better 5 track streaks (xX indicates the amount of 5 song streaks which beats this one...)

FBN x2

CoS x1 (most possible)

AFTK x2 (most possible)

Hemi can't compete sad.gif

PeW x2 (most possible)

MP x2

SiG x4 (most possible)

GUP x3

POW x2

HYF x2

Pesto x1

VT x3

S&A x1

....So this streak of 5 songs is nothing special at all to me really

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 31 2012, 05:51 AM)
Halo Effect definitely brings the killer song sequence to a close.

HYF had five great songs, but admittedly Open Secrets and Second Nature weren't quite on the same level as Force Ten, Time Stand Still & Prime Mover

Give me Halo Effect over Time Stand Still.

It is a fantastic song that doesn't bog down the album at all. Caravan to The Wreckers is a run of awesomeness

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 31 2012, 08:20 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 09:53 AM)
BU2B is just a complete stinker -

ohmy.gif wacko.gif

The bridge is the only decent part.

The rest of the song was pulled out of their asses.

So overall, terrible.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 10:28 AM)

ohmy.gif wacko.gif

So overall, terrible.

I repeat... ohmy.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Jul 31 2012, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 10:28 AM)

ohmy.gif wacko.gif

So overall, terrible.

I repeat... ohmy.gif wacko.gif

ohmy.gif wacko.gif