"The Hobbit" will be a trilogy

alphseeker

I'm really interested to see where Peter Jackson is going with this. The Hobbit is one of my favorite books and I watched the crap out of the animated version as a kid. I've really been looking forward to this movie for years now.

I wonder if the material for The Hobbit will be split into two movies with the third one being based off of some of Tolkien's additional books or just one movie for The Hobbit material and two movies with their plot inspired by Tolkien's other work?

Son-of-a-bitch. You know what this means. The LOTR trilogy should have been a sixalgy. They needed two movies for each book. But of course, we already knew that. laugh.gif There should now be not a one scene of the book missing from this movie. 1022.gif But, this is the treament LOTRs needed, but I suppose it just wasn't possible at the time. Probably was hard enough to just make 3. At any rate...

Hazzah Peter Jackson, hobbit director trink38.gif trink39.gif

Im cool with this, and pretty sure alot of the third film will bridge the gap between the Hobbit and LOTR... things like the Ousting of Sauron from Mirkwood and the rebuilding of his fortress in Mordor.. the meeting of Aagorn and Gandalf, their tracking of Gollum... (technically happens in the 14 years between Bilbo's party and the beginning of Frodo's journey in FOTR, but could be reworked in the third film) ... there is a plethora of material to be used.... just check the appendices of LOTR

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 30 2012, 05:34 PM)
Son-of-a-bitch. You know what this means. The LOTR trilogy should have been a sixalgy. They needed two movies for each book. But of course, we already knew that. laugh.gif There should now be not a one scene of the book missing from this movie. 1022.gif But, this is the treament LOTRs needed, but I suppose it just wasn't possible at the time. Probably was hard enough to just make 3. At any rate...

Hazzah Peter Jackson, hobbit director trink38.gif trink39.gif

Yep. It's all about funding.

LOTR could have been a bust. Since it wasn't, the investors are more eager to put their money into it. That should be a safe bet.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jul 30 2012, 10:01 PM)
Without reading the article...is it going to cover the events between The Hobbit and TLOTR?

If so...I love this...it's the work of a real Tolkien fan and the third movie should include material from the appendices and The Return of The King and The unfinished Tales...Can't wait!!!!

(Psssst....see post above yours)

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 30 2012, 03:34 PM)

goodpost.gif

I actually thought this was going to be a terrible idea at first. Just a quick money grab until Jackson actually explained himself. Presto-digitation is correct. The book itself can really only make two movies maximum. But, Jacksons also adding ties between LOTR trilogy and this story to help fans better understand their connection in the world.

I think it'd be interesting to see what he does with this. Maybe it could be Bilbo AFTER Return of the King reading "A Hobbit's Tale".

IMO, it'd be a terrible idea to add things from his other books, like the Silmillarian. Those would not last being put on screen. The origins of how things became to be are interesting, but put on screen would be dreadfully boring.

I mean, it takes Tolkien around 2-3 pages just to describe a leaf. Including its' race, color, size, language it uses, and so on so forth...Any who, I have faith in this trilogy. Peter Jackson knows what he is doing.

Great, so now we'll get to see Smaug for the last hour of the third movie instead of the first one ohmy.gif

I watched the animated Hobbit a lot before finally reading the book. Question is: IS there even enough material to span three "Peter Jackson 3+ hour" movies?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 30 2012, 08:06 PM)
It also mines from the Appendicies too. It's not just three films of The Hobbit story from page 1 til last.

See, THIS is why I should completely read a thread before posting. biggrin.gif

On top of "The Unexpected Party" and "There and Back Again" New Line has registered the following film titles:

The Desolation of Smaug

The Battle of Five Armies

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Milking a film franchise......to make more money?? I sense the Dark Side in all of this......a terrible presence.......which has corrupted Peter Jackson's mind....

....could it be.......NO, it can't be........no way it can be......

....I can't bring myself to utter his name!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Is it a money grab? Sure... and So the f**k what! Alot of adaptations of novels seem to be split up now... Harry Potter, and ugh....Twilight....shudder, and people always bitch that they do this for more money...

WHO CARES... it's a Win/Win the studio and filmmakers make more money for the extra movie and we get a more faithful adaptation... I don't get the hate when this happens.

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 31 2012, 06:03 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 30 2012, 03:34 PM)

goodpost.gif

(or one movie for each book, rather)

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 31 2012, 08:23 AM)
The battle of Dale will take half a movie.

yes.gif

This part of the book is way too short...just a blur.

Edited by goose

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Aug 1 2012, 07:58 AM)
Great, so now we'll get to see Smaug for the last hour of the third movie instead of the first one ohmy.gif

I can see Smaug appearing early in the film to set the background. There could be 45 minutes or so (at least) of back story prior to getting to the Hobbit proper.

There are many events in the written version of Hobbit that move a bit too quickly, IMO, and I can see the film version doing them more justice.

One of the first books I remember reading, The Hobbit deserves 3 films. LOTR deserved 4 (No Sharky? Scouring of the Shire?, Bombadil) The more detail the better.

On a totally different note, just wait until the Silmarillion...27 movies, 2.5 hours each - will top even Dune....the movie.... (shudder). wink.gif

<almost forgot Tom Bombadil-o>

Edited by CygnusGal

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Aug 6 2012, 07:31 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zgb8N-5py0

z7shysterical.gif My favorite! Good to see I'm not alone. Thanks. smile.gif

trink39.gif