Not so well known prog rock facts

treeduck

John Petrucci's wife once wrote to us at Progarchives demanding that we remove all reference to Mr Petrucci from the database. As much as I was tempted to delete Dream Theater...

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 17 2012, 09:46 AM)
John Petrucci's wife once wrote to us at Progarchives demanding that we remove all reference to Mr Petrucci from the database. As much as I was tempted to delete Dream Theater...

laugh.gif

Brilliant. Is she Overlord of De Interwebz?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jul 15 2012, 05:31 PM)
I'll start off with...

Elton John auditioned as lead singer for King Crimson and Gentle Giant...

cool.gif cool10.gif

wOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, here's mine, ticky:

prog/metal Fact: In fall 1992 Dream Theater members portnoy, petrucci, myung, labrie and moore ALL wore matching fannypacks (at least they were black. lol) so they could wear shorts and have a secure place to put their black sharpees for autographs if anyone might want one. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 17 2012, 07:29 AM)
KC's Jamie Muir helped Jon Anderson plot out Tales from Topographic Oceans at Bill Bruford's wedding.

Wow! And I thought Jamie disappeared into the sunset after a horrible acid 1022.gif trip!

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 17 2012, 04:59 PM)
KC's Jamie Muir helped Jon Anderson plot out Tales from Topographic Oceans at Bill Bruford's wedding.

Wow! And I thought Jamie disappeared into the sunset after a horrible acid 1022.gif trip!

Actually, if my information is correct, Jamie became a buddhist monk.

There's a new rock song i just heard on the radio that rips off robert fripp's guitar intro to "larks tongues" and they just made a song out of it, simplified it a bit and are calling it a song. They rearranged it into a 4/4 song. Don't know the band name yet, but it's shockingly similar. tongue.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 17 2012, 09:41 AM)
Giant for a Day is actually Gentle Giant's most groundbreaking album.

QUOTE (wiki)
Giant for a Day is an album by British progressive rock band Gentle Giant which was released in 1978. The band's facility for counterpoint and medieval-themed arrangements had largely been abandoned by this stage in their career. Commercial success eluded them, while their original fan base began to grow restless. This album is generally acknowledged as the lowest point in the band's career.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jul 17 2012, 02:49 PM)
Tuning a mellotron doesn't.

This one is taken from Fripp's tour diary! I remember that! laugh.gif

New fact:

The Damned made a 20-minutes mini-opera called Curtain Call.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by H. P. L.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 17 2012, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jul 17 2012, 04:59 PM)

Actually, if my information is correct, Jamie became a buddhist monk.

Yes, he introduced Jon Anderson to the book "Siddharta" which is based on the founder of Buddhism. It is what inspired "Close to the Edge" because the character in the book finds the answers to wisdom by the edge of a river.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2012, 11:46 PM)
Contrary to popular belief, King Crimson's best album isn't ITCOTCK or Red, it's Lizard. yes.gif

Similarly, Yes's best album is not Close to the Edge, Fragile, Relayer or The Yes Album. It's Tales From Topographic Oceans. yes.gif

Now you're just talking crazy!

smile.gif

QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 17 2012, 10:44 AM)

QUOTE (wiki)
Giant for a Day is an album by British progressive rock band Gentle Giant which was released in 1978. The band's facility for counterpoint and medieval-themed arrangements had largely been abandoned by this stage in their career. Commercial success eluded them, while their original fan base began to grow restless. This album is generally acknowledged as the lowest point in the band's career.

That's a lie by the British government.

This thread is for "NOT" so well known prog rock facts. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 18 2012, 11:06 AM)
QUOTE (Mr. IsNot @ Jul 17 2012, 10:44 AM)

QUOTE (wiki)

That's a lie by the British government.

This thread is for "NOT" so well known prog rock facts. biggrin.gif

Joking aside, I don't see why people are unloading their opinions on prog rock bands in general in this thread. There's plenty of other places in MOTS to do that. This is a really interesting thread otherwise.

Not to single you out though; ts2, RushGoober...

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 18 2012, 09:25 AM)
FACT
Rick Wakeman preferred to travel on the Black Sabbath tour bus other than share his fellow Yes companions' coach.

You know why right ? Because he was afriad Chris would eat him