Tombstone Mountain's Review Thread

Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 27 2012, 10:36 AM)
Another neighbor is to thank for my discovery of RUSH.

I wish my neighbors appreciated it, I keep getting noise complaints. laugh.gif

Very interesting "review" you've posted I really enjoyed it.

A little constructive criticism. You really ought to post a link to whatever site you got this from so people can go check it out there as well though. People take the time to write a review, it's nice for them to see the traffic on their own site and understand how many people are reading their work, possibly make a few scheckles in ad revenue, that sort of thing.

Just copying and pasting someone elses work here isn't that cool.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 12:26 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Jun 27 2012, 10:36 AM)
Another neighbor is to thank for my discovery of RUSH.

I wish my neighbors appreciated it, I keep getting noise complaints. laugh.gif

Very interesting "review" you've posted I really enjoyed it.

A little constructive criticism. You really ought to post a link to whatever site you got this from so people can go check it out there as well though. People take the time to write a review, it's nice for them to see the traffic on their own site and understand how many people are reading their work, possibly make a few scheckles in ad revenue, that sort of thing.

Just copying and pasting someone elses work here isn't that cool.

trink39.gif

Ok i'll do that....oh how DO you do that? for some reason I can't get the link to show up on this forum. Been trying to do that with each and every authentic review I find.

My neighbor's don't complain...they're 600 feet away. I live in the mountains in appalacha in the woods. Got a lot of friends that are squirrels, deer, turkeys, and bear!

Thanks

trink39.gif

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

There is no big rush for anyone to read some 3rd-rate arts/entertainment rag from Pennsylvania.....

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

p.s. No offense to the state of Pennsylvania intended.....

Edited by Workaholic Man

What a load of sh*t.

hilarious cool10.gif at that.

Interesting to have such a negative review though laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 28 2012, 10:13 AM)
There is no big rush for anyone to read some 3rd-rate arts/entertainment rag from Pennsylvania.....

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

p.s. No offense to the state of Pennsylvania intended.....

That's it! It's a pretty bad local rag! In fact the other rag in the area is a little better, but the only music reviews that are worth it are the ones for the local acts....anything attempted to be reviewed on the national level is just based around what the guy likes... I stopped reading them long ago!

Another great review for Clockwork Angels--this time from Iowa

Like clockwork, Rush is back with standout new album

By JARED MOLSTEAD, newsroom@wcfcourier.com wcfcourier.com | Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 12:00 pm | (1) Comments

.."Go out on a high note" is a common expression in the music industry today. With rock music on life support and so many grizzled acts trying to return to former glory, it was only a matter of time before the chicanery finally worked. It comes as little surprise that one of the fathers of the genre, Rush, had to emerge from the time chamber to teach a lesson to rock's fallen luminaries.

Fans will be tickled by just how good "Clockwork Angels" is. With a career spanning 40 years and 20 albums, at this point most of us were simply hoping Rush didn't make an album of vexation and discomposure. Yet all the Rush trimmings are here --- crunchy guitar, grand bass lines and Neil Peart's unchallenged sovereignty on the drum kit.

At this point, Peart is the heart and soul of this holy triumvirate. Not only has he written another heady and cerebral concept album based on classic storytelling tropes, most notably steampunk and alchemy, he has transfused the modern-day image of a drummer. Peart's ambitious lyrics help give way to a variety of set pieces, from grandiose string melodies to some unexpectedly bludgeoning guitar riffs.

Geddy Lee can still screech and transfix Peart's verbose passages into sonic monsters. At 58 years old, his bass lines still approach rocket science. A Rush album, labyrinth time signatures and astral prog-rock are the prime ingredients. What you don't expect is for the band to put out their best record since 1976's "2112."

The 66-minute opus is bookended by two stellar tracks in "Caravan," with all its pop sensibilities, and "The Garden," a brooding, symphonic piece with churning corridors. The band often jumps from galloping prog to winding ballad to blistering riff-oriented numbers without missing a beat. "Headlong Flight" and title track "Clockwork Angels" serve as the cosmic showstoppers in an album filled with many standouts.

Rush has composed a swan song in its twilight years, and the genre's most faithful will no doubt eat this one up in droves.

Clockwork Angels

Artist: Rush

Release date: June 12

Genre: Progressive rock

Sounds like: Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, The Who

Grade: A

Bottom line: An unlikely 40-year friendship helps make "Clockwork Angels" a seamless and effortless work. Enlightening lyrics, instrumental mastery and a dose of nostalgia make this one instantly memorable.

Definitely download

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/entertainment/like-c...l#ixzz1z7QvMLNo

I really didn't find the review all that terrible, except the bu2b2 part..he just doesn't think it holds up to the classic material. At least he didn't mention Ayn rand or dungeons and dragons. Most reviewers are very condescending when writing negative reviews of Rush... I didn't get that vibe from this guy. Edited by Xanadoood

Rush - Clockwork Angels

Monday 2 July 2012

4 Votes

Label: Roadrunner

Year: 2012

1 of 1 It's 21:12 in Rush land.

Clearly ahead of their time again My name is Michael and I'm a Rush fan. Phew. While that admission would usually result in one being ridden out of town on a rail, in recent years rock's holy triumvirate have (whisper it), gotten kinda cool. First came the hip TV appearance on The Colbert Report, then the excellent documentary, Beyond The Lighted Stage, followed by the movie, I Love You, Man, and rave reviews for their most recent live tour.

Emboldened, perhaps, by this unexpected acceptance, Rush has decided to turn their 20th studio offering, Clockwork Angels, into a - no sniggering at the back- concept album.

Of course, the band has previous here. Both 2112 (1976) and Hemispheres (1978) boasted tracks that filled a complete side; while Fountains of Lamneth on Caress of Steel lasts longer than the average Labour Party Conference. This is the first time, however, that the trio has maintained a concept - one young man's quest for order amidst chaos (or something) - over the course of an entire album.

If those earlier works were partly influenced by drummer/lyricist Neil Peart's then interest in all things Ayn Rand, Clockwork Angels owes a debt to Voltaire, Conrad and Du Maurier. We're talking about a Steampunk world of alchemists and anarchists, carnies and cut-throats, where watchmakers scheme, pedlars offer gnomic advice and cities of gold remain just beyond reach.

The album opens with Caravan and BU2B, muscular tracks that will be familiar to fans from the band's recent Time Machine tour. The trio really hit their straps, however, on the multi-layered title track, where Lifeson's swirling work on the Gibson Telecaster is punctuated by Peart's pounding percussion and Lee's plaintive vocals.

Elsewhere, Seven Cities of Gold finds Geddy slappin' da bass like a good 'un; while the powerful single (only Rush would release a single with a running time of 7 minutes, 20 seconds) Headlong Flight recalls Bastille Day with its strident drum sequences and soaring guitar riffs, during which Lifeson utilises his trusty Dunlop cry-baby wah pedal.

For the stately finale that is The Garden (think Candide), the boys go all orchestral, adding lush strings and pianos to the mix. I don't smoke, but when Alex started to pluck that acoustic twelve-string, I rushed out to buy a lighter just so I could hold it aloft.

With Rush this bulletproof, don't be surprised to see them dust off their silk kimonos and double-necked guitars in time for the next tour. In the meantime, would someone please induct these guys into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Michael Doherty

www.rte.ie

Irish electronic magazine

With Rush this bulletproof, don't be surprised to see them dust off their silk kimonos and double-necked guitars in time for the next tour. In the meantime, would someone please induct these guys into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Baile Atha Cliathe

trink39.gif

Actual article. Short and to the point. You can tell he spent a lot of time on it

CD Review: Clockwork Angels (Rush)

The Western Australian

June 29, 2012, 1:15 pm

Rush

Clockwork Angels

Anthem/Roadrunner

4 stars

By Phil Jupp, The Western Australian www.thewest.com

Rush albums are always musical banquets and number 19 is no exception. And when you add a continual narrative to the usual fertile soundscapes and complicated song arrangements, there's a lot to feast on.

Yes, 38 years after the Canadian rockers' debut record, Clockwork Angels represents Rush's first fully fledged concept album.

Drummer/lyricist Neil Peart has developed a story of a young man chasing dreams in a future - or maybe ancient - world where everyday life is controlled by an invasive force.

Sounds a little like their 1976 opus 2112 to me. Of course, the time depicted on the cover artwork clock is no coincidence. Regardless of the merits of the tale told, this is Rush at their most vibrant, energised and mean.

That is quite an amazing and bizarre thing for a trio pushing 60.

Gotta love them Aussies.

trink39.gif