Swan Song Trilogy

The Lofty Oaks

Please don't misunderstand me I am hoping beyond all hope that Clockwork Angels is not the last studio album released by Rush. However if it did turn out to be the band's final swan song album you cannot deny the perfect symbolic undercurrent messages of the last three songs on Clockwork Angels. Allow me to explain this theory and then you tell me if it's not just too perfect to be accidental or coincidental. Maybe I am reading too much into the situation or maybe those multifaceted diamond cut layers of perspectives are the genius of Rush.

I was listening to the final quarter of the album for the umpteen hundredth time the other day when this theory crystallized in my pea sized brain. For the purposes of this exercise we need to ignore the song "BU2B2". Lets pretend like it is just an extended intro to "Wish Them Well". The last three real song on the album are "Headlong Flight", "Wish Them Well" and "The Garden". Of course I have reviewed each of these songs in-depth and in context of the concept story in earlier posts. I do not want to retrace those steps. I want to focus on the overall message, mood and meaning of each song as an individual entity outside of the Clockwork Angels concept. I contend that these three songs converge into one singular trilogy that conveys a strong set of farewell messages.

READ MORE HERE

2.gif

Sad but probably true.

cool10.gif

Shouldn't this be in the "4:20" thread? It's perfectly fine for you to read all of that into these songs if you want...but you're totally ignoring what the band members have said about these songs. Seriously, I don't get why some are trying to cypher or read tea leaves in this album over rush's future or hidden meanings in these songs as if CA is some rock opera DaVinci Code.

Logically, I'd say that it's 51% "no", and 49% "maybe".

The songs clearly support the story line that Neil's explained and the novel will expand on. It's based on the books that Neil read and weaved into the tale, so you have to give a lot of weight to the idea that these songs are just part of the concept.

BUT

I have to admit that I noticed the same sentiment: a series of final farewell statements, each focused on different audiences, but all adding up to a swan song.

I do know that Alex specifically referenced "their next album" in an interview back in April - so I'm not sure they're actually planning to walk away and tend their gardens,

But, it's a darn clever way to leave the door open to many possible worlds.

My best guess is that they would at least do some sort of 40th anniversary effort (world tour, one more album, both) since their so close.

I'll always be hoping for just one more...

pffftt!

Take all that back. They are no over unless something godawful happens. Even if Ged loses his voice they could still put something out instrumentally.

The one aspect I'll agree with you on is the immense significance of these last three songs (BU2B2 naturally excluded), and that if this truly is their swan song, that they've said a LOT about life in these three songs. They're an excellent philosophical and uplifting statement to end a career on.

That said, the whole thing about it relating to their professional careers specifically I don't see at all in any way. No, I see the journey of the protagonist in the story being a metaphor for life in general, but not about their careers. I'm not saying your theories are as far-fetched as that nutty MK Ultra person who thinks all of Neil's lyrics are about LSD, but I am reminded of that in terms of trying to bend everything to fit your theory that's purely speculative to begin with and has nothing to do in any way with what any of them have talked about in any interviews. It also isn't in the liner notes in any way, shape or form. It seems like something you completely made up based more on your experience of the band, not theirs, and it seems to be quite a long reach.

I think the members of Rush are perfectly happy with how their careers have gone and with the adulation they've received. They have no need to make any kind of grand statement about their careers in this way. That's what Beyond the Lighted Stage was for.

You're taking concepts they worked to make very universal and are putting them in a very specific context. Yes, the philosophical aspects of the songs are about them, but they're as equally about you or me - they're meant to be a universal statement that can be related to by everyone.

Edited by rushgoober

I don't think the swan song idea is far-fetched. I read most of Neil's books, and I read most anything I can find about the band and my guess is that (a) there's a physical limit to how long Geddy can sing 3 hours concerts, (cool.gif there's a physical limit to how long Neil can play 3 hour concerts over months of touring, and © in my opinion, I think Neil will be the first to 'suggest' that they ought to walk away on their own terms. My guess is that it won't be CA, but the 40th anniversary (as I said before).

I'd love to see them produce albums for the next 20 years, but I expect that 2.gif , as we know them (album - tour - album - tour - etc.) is near the end. I could see them publishing a song here or there but my spidey sense says the swan will sing soon.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 12 2012, 04:59 AM)
Embarrassingly puerile garbage.

Some Rush fans need to get a grip.

Stop being so neutral and politically correct. Show a little more judgement and feeling, would ya?????

eyesre4.gif

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 12 2012, 09:59 AM)
I don't think the swan song idea is far-fetched.

That's not what most people here are objecting to. It's what he's saying in more detail when you click on the link where he theorizes on what these last 3 songs mean.

QUOTE (The Lofty Oaks @ Jul 11 2012, 09:27 PM)
Please don't misunderstand me I am hoping beyond all hope that Clockwork Angels is not the last studio album released by Rush. However if it did turn out to be the band's final swan song album you cannot deny the perfect symbolic undercurrent messages of the last three songs on Clockwork Angels. Allow me to explain this theory and then you tell me if it's not just too perfect to be accidental or coincidental. Maybe I am reading too much into the situation or maybe those multifaceted diamond cut layers of perspectives are the genius of Rush.

I was listening to the final quarter of the album for the umpteen hundredth time the other day when this theory crystallized in my pea sized brain. For the purposes of this exercise we need to ignore the song "BU2B2". Lets pretend like it is just an extended intro to "Wish Them Well". The last three real song on the album are "Headlong Flight", "Wish Them Well" and "The Garden". Of course I have reviewed each of these songs in-depth and in context of the concept story in earlier posts. I do not want to retrace those steps. I want to focus on the overall message, mood and meaning of each song as an individual entity outside of the Clockwork Angels concept. I contend that these three songs converge into one singular trilogy that conveys a strong set of farewell messages.

READ MORE HERE

2.gif

I appreciate your thoughts, but I don't think those songs are intended to issue a statement, although you never know how the subconscious operates, afterall, it is NEIL who wrote those lyrics and some parts of CA may be self referencing about his life and experiences for sure. But, I don't think it's any kind of statement like you're conjecturing.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 12 2012, 04:46 AM)
cool10.gif

Shouldn't this be in the "4:20" thread? It's perfectly fine for you to read all of that into these songs if you want...but you're totally ignoring what the band members have said about these songs. Seriously, I don't get why some are trying to cypher or read tea leaves in this album over rush's future or hidden meanings in these songs as if CA is some rock opera DaVinci Code.

goodpost.gif People want to make it bigger than it is, it's a fu*kin album people

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 12 2012, 07:07 AM)
a universal statement that can be related to by everyone.

Translation: A statement of the obvious

To be honest, Neil's lyrics are a bit too straight forward here for me. To each his own. Good music, though.

Its only just a theory. Something that I think of when listening to to those last three songs. Just meant to spark some thought and conversation. One of the great things about Rush is the various interpretations that can be taken from their lyrics.

Its always a great topic of conversation. I am enjoying reading all of the responses (good and bad)

popcorn.gif

QUOTE (The Lofty Oaks @ Jul 12 2012, 07:39 PM)
Its only just a theory. Something that I think of when listening to to those last three songs. Just meant to spark some thought and conversation. One of the great things about Rush is the various interpretations that can be taken from their lyrics.

Its always a great topic of conversation. I am enjoying reading all of the responses (good and bad)

popcorn.gif

I like your attitude! Keep on rockin!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 12 2012, 12:51 PM)
QUOTE (spock @ Jul 12 2012, 09:59 AM)
I don't think the swan song idea is far-fetched.

That's not what most people here are objecting to. It's what he's saying in more detail when you click on the link where he theorizes on what these last 3 songs mean.

Not sure what to say, since I was thinking many of the same things. I can see plenty of dual meanings beyond the obvious. I realize that CA is a weaving of story lines that Neil read, but there's plenty of parallelisms with things in band's history that you can also read into it (IMHO).

I was wondering if CA was the album-ization of metafiction. huh.gif

LOL

There are alchemical symbols assigned to each song, copious symbology in the artwork as well, and reference after reference. But of course there's no deeper meaning intended. They're just giving us the 'walrus and egg man' business.

READ MORE HERE

2.gif

It cannot be their finale'. They must create a Magnum Opus for this- there is no other alternative for them unless they want to end their careers and catalog on a note of sorry mediocrity. The three of them need to isolate themselves and place supreme effort into this accomplishment as if their lives depend on it. Bringing back Terry for a monumental effort of this magnitude is critical, imo. Time is of the essence, though- The clock is ticking much faster in the locale of their of ages.

Edited by GeminiRising79

READ MORE HERE

2.gif

"The Garden" in particular sounded like a farewell message to me. That sense contributed to its emotional power, bringing me nearly to tears. And what a classy finish it would be! If they call it a day now, I'd be okay with it... though of course I'd like still more Rush.

I see what you mean about the last three songs being a "farewell trilogy." Think of it perhaps as some final parting advice from Uncle Neil:

1. Here's how you should view your past. (Headlong Flight)

2. Here's how to deal with difficult people. (Wish Them Well)

3. Here's how you should approach life, moving forward. (The Garden)