Wife Problems

MainMonkeyBusiness

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least she don't like Western music too. Har har, he haw. I suggest playing Cold Fire and The Larger Bowl- Rush's two best country songs. Good luck.

Oh, and stop dissing her Country music. Dissing Rush may be her revenge. Or did someone say thay already.

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 11:56 PM)
I was playing the studio version of Hope just a couple minutes ago and my wife said it "sounded like crap". She also seemed to think the beginning sounded "like a country song" and that he was "playing a hillbilly banjo". wtf.gif How did I ever marry this woman. Country had permanently ruined her.

If she thinks Hope sounds "like crap" in her opinion, then there is no hope. Pun intended. fists crying.gif

You should talk and dress like a hillbilly redneck whenever you're around her. You should wear a dirty white tanktop that has the starman design on it and use the best southern drawl you can whenever you talk to her. But only speak in Rush lyrics. Do this for 2,112 days and she'll either stop hassling you about Rush or she'll divorce you. Either way it'll be the end of all that nonsense. trink38.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jul 6 2012, 08:43 AM)
QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 10:56 AM)
I was playing the studio version of Hope just a couple minutes ago and my wife said it "sounded like crap". She also seemed to think the beginning sounded "like a country song" and that he was "playing a hillbilly banjo". wtf.gif How did I ever marry this woman. Country had permanently ruined her.

If she thinks Hope sounds "like crap" in her opinion, then there is no hope. Pun intended.  fists crying.gif

I am getting married to a woman who really doesn't like Rush at all. She says it doesn't make her smile, want to dance, or inspire her. It would be nice if she did like Rush but I won't live my life around Rush either.

The most I've gotten from my wife is that she respects Rush. Watching the documentary helped in that regards.

When listening to Rush music, usually the best I'll get is that she tolerates them. Occasionally she gets into a song a bit, just because of familiarity with it if nothing else. If we ever happen to be listening to the radio (which is rare), and a Rush songs comes on, I get so ridiculously over the top excited that she can't help but be entertained by my level of excitement, but that's not the same thing as her being excited by the song herself.

I took her to a concert once, and the predominating reaction from her was that it was too loud. See, now we were on the lawn, and I thought it was way too quiet. That's often the problem she and I have when listening to Rush together - what I consider the lowest volume level of acceptable listening to really get into and feel the music, is the upper volume level of acceptable listening for her. To listen at a volume level that she's comfortable with is torture for me, and vice-versa, so we have to compromise and find a listening level that's a little uncomfortable for both of us, and that doesn't help either.

Anyway, she'll never be a fan, but believe me, it is NOT a prerequisite for a happy marriage! no.gif

I get in trouble with the wife when she is checking the bank account or the credit cards and she sees a transaction for EPAY or some place and asked what RUSH did I buy this time. My latest was RUSH bobble heads from Ebay. Edited by robertrobyn

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 6 2012, 11:31 AM)
First off I would never try to 'force' my wife into liking something just because I enjoy it. Nothing wrong with different tastes etc.

That being said, unless she was joking around, it doesn't sound to me like your wife is very respectful of the things you enjoy.

How would she feel if she was watching her favorite TV show or something and you asked her "How you you stand watching this crap?"

Same sort of respect-disconnect?

confused13.gif

Well that applies to everything but 2.gif . You need to give her some of there:http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/fighting/face-slap.gifso she wakes the eff up! laugh.gif

In our marriage it's the other way round: I'm a bigger fan than he is! laugh.gif

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 07:57 AM)
Some metal...Drowning Pool, Alter Bridge, 5FDP, RED
Her Ipod is mainly filled with country, Christian Rock, non-classical piano (Dino etc)
I think it is more about when the music was made and less about the actual content of the music. Because she goes for the really shitty modern country, not the older stuff like Cash (which I can stand).
Hell, she even thinks Neil Young sounds bad!!

laugh.gif Well,

They don't make country music like they used to. Regardless, we all have our own tastes. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Rock on! 2.gif trink39.gif

On behalf of the women who love Rush, I extend my deepest condolences to all you men who have a wife/girlfriend who doesn't love Rush, too.

We're sorry.

Oh and to the OP, I'd say that you probably were more PO'd by her curt dismissal of something you love more than the fact that she doesn't like it. Ask her how she would feel if one of your friends called her something dismissive and/or insulting. dazed025.gif

QUOTE (MainMonkeyBusiness @ Jul 6 2012, 09:56 AM)
I was playing the studio version of Hope just a couple minutes ago and my wife said it "sounded like crap".

After all, it is on S&A right ? Smart woman

In my marriage I respect my wife's likes, even when they're not also mine and vice versa. If she solicits an opinion ("What do you think of this Erasure song?") I'll given an honest one, but what I don't do is rag her shit while it's playing....say that it sucks or to turn that shit off, etc When we go somewhere together we mix it up and if Rush comes on, that's fair. And if some band she enjoys comes on, that's fair. Or we'll listen to a CD of her choice then one of my choice. Pretty easy stuff.

It amazes me how little respect some spouses seem to show, one to the other. Marriage is filled with daily compromises. If you can't get the little stuff right without a fight, what else is screwed up? Food for thought.

Edited by Presto-digitation

As is the case with most couples, there are songs she loves which I hate, and vice-versa, but we managed to find out the intersection - there's a couple of Rush songs she likes, a couple of Muse songs as well, and I enjoy some of the more mellow stuff she listens to - Coldplay, Florence & the Machine, Sting etc.

On long trips we have tried the "ok, we'll listen to one song of your choice and one of my choice" routine, but it didn't work, mostly because she'd choose her song which was maximum 6 minutes long, and I'd come up with Hemispheres, or Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons, which last for way more than 15 minutes laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 9 2012, 08:46 AM)
As is the case with most couples, there are songs she loves which I hate, and vice-versa, but we managed to find out the intersection - there's a couple of Rush songs she likes, a couple of Muse songs as well, and I enjoy some of the more mellow stuff she listens to - Coldplay, Florence & the Machine, Sting etc.

On long trips we have tried the "ok, we'll listen to one song of your choice and one of my choice" routine, but it didn't work, mostly because she'd choose her song which was maximum 6 minutes long, and I'd come up with Hemispheres, or Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons, which last for way more than 15 minutes laugh.gif laugh.gif

In this case I'll gladly play the Rush tunes she's far more likely to enjoy, like Time Stand Still or Bravado or The Pass, etc. I often skip the long songs to save her the grief.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 9 2012, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 9 2012, 08:46 AM)
As is the case with most couples, there are songs she loves which I hate, and vice-versa, but we managed to find out the intersection - there's a couple of Rush songs she likes, a couple of Muse songs as well, and I enjoy some of the more mellow stuff she listens to  - Coldplay, Florence & the Machine, Sting etc.

On long trips we have tried the "ok, we'll listen to one song of your choice and one of my choice" routine, but it didn't work, mostly because she'd choose her song which was maximum 6 minutes long, and I'd come up with Hemispheres, or Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons, which last for way more than 15 minutes  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

In this case I'll gladly play the Rush tunes she's far more likely to enjoy, like Time Stand Still or Bravado or The Pass, etc. I often skip the long songs to save her the grief.

Yeah, nowadays I do that too. She quite likes Bravado, Roll the Bones, Time Stands Still, The Larger Bowl and LOVES The Garden! I took her to see Rush in Rio in 2010, and she quite liked it.

That being said, I usually go to concerts without her, as most of what I like is too loud for her. Last year we saw Pearl Jam together and she quite liked them as well. Apart from that, there aren't many bands we see together.

I did try to get her into Dream Theater and even offered to pay for her ticket to one of their concerts just because I wanted her to see what a heavier band sounds like, but she hates LaBrie's voice so much that she refused. She always says the band would sound much better if they replaced him.

So yes, I am to blame somewhat. While not so vehement, I do rag on her music too.

But this all started when we first met and were talking about music. I played her Dreamline (had just bought Roll the Bones). About 15 seconds in she made a nasty face and said it sounded like "70s rock and I don't like it".

So this has been a re-occuring problem. I just thought the acoustic awesomeness of Hope might catch her ear...it didn't.

I do admit I was trying the ambush her with it though so maybe I am guilty of something.