Tabbing/Learning The Album - Guitar and Bass

Gilbertk

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 11:32 AM)
It looks like Trenken has blocked public access to his Hemispheres singing video. unsure.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eljJsLYbKjI

I wonder why he would do that? confused13.gif

nothing wrong with that video. Actually, it was pretty good...let's hear YOURS.

But I never claimed to sing as well as Geddy on the Hemispheres tour and play bass as well as Geddy Lee or John Myung and then post videos to "prove" it. confused13.gif

no, but you sure like calling him out on it....

Sorry, it's not often you see someone claiming to be as good as Geddy in his prime (and implicitly better than Geddy now) and trying to prove this by posting an 18 second video clip. That doesn't strike you as a bit ridiculous?

I'm not going to get into this because I don't care (you do though)....but if I'm not mistaken, he said he could sing it better than Geddy could these days....which is likely true. Move on already....

No, not really...

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 08:58 PM)
I did post a youtube vid of me singing Hemispheres. Not my problem you missed it chump. I hit the notes after hours of recording my own stuff with a tired voice.

I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

On a Rush board where everyone sucks their cocks all day noone can be good at anything without being labelled as arrogant. The only people that say that are the ones that suck. f***ing hater.

I guess if you cant sing their toughest stuff or play bass as good then you just hate on those that can, and Im a far better bassist than I am a singer.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 17 2012, 06:18 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 17 2012, 11:32 AM)
It looks like Trenken has blocked public access to his Hemispheres singing video. unsure.gif

I wonder why he would do that? confused13.gif

nothing wrong with that video. Actually, it was pretty good...let's hear YOURS.

But I never claimed to sing as well as Geddy on the Hemispheres tour and play bass as well as Geddy Lee or John Myung and then post videos to "prove" it. confused13.gif

no, but you sure like calling him out on it....

Sorry, it's not often you see someone claiming to be as good as Geddy in his prime (and implicitly better than Geddy now) and trying to prove this by posting an 18 second video clip. That doesn't strike you as a bit ridiculous?

I'm not going to get into this because I don't care (you do though)....but if I'm not mistaken, he said he could sing it better than Geddy could these days....which is likely true. Move on already....

No, not really...

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2012, 08:58 PM)
I did post a youtube vid of me singing Hemispheres. Not my problem you missed it chump. I hit the notes after hours of recording my own stuff with a tired voice.

I f**k up some notes in there from worn out vocals, but I can point you to some youtube vids of Geddy on the Hemispheres tour sounding far worse than what I recorded there if you like.

On a Rush board where everyone sucks their cocks all day noone can be good at anything without being labelled as arrogant. The only people that say that are the ones that suck. f***ing hater.

I guess if you cant sing their toughest stuff or play bass as good then you just hate on those that can, and Im a far better bassist than I am a singer.

I don't think that he sang that bad at all. Geddy would butcher it now.

There's a tab of The Anarchist up on Ultimate Guitar.

edit: I'm waaay to late to the party on this one

Edited by That One Guy

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 10 2012, 01:10 AM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jul 9 2012, 04:05 PM)
Tabs are the hack musicians learning tool. Learn by ear like a real player.

I'm sorry. I don't recall checking with you as to what a "real guitar player" is.

Frankly, I don't care what you think and I'm sure the other players here don't, either.

goodpost.gif

And I suppose I'm not a 'real' manual-trans driver if I don't heel-and-toe every downshift?

I learned how to play the guitar on tabs, and still can't read guitar sheet music to this day. Wahhhh

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Jul 17 2012, 09:26 PM)

I'm sorry. I don't recall checking with you as to what a "real guitar player" is.

Frankly, I don't care what you think and I'm sure the other players here don't, either.

goodpost.gif

And I suppose I'm not a 'real' manual-trans driver if I don't heel-and-toe every downshift?

I learned how to play the guitar on tabs, and still can't read guitar sheet music to this day. Wahhhh

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/gimme5.gif

Learning by tabs just gets me to playing the song faster! wink.gif

QUOTE (That One Guy @ Jul 18 2012, 12:26 AM)

goodpost.gif

Tabs have their use. Tabs can be helpful to dig out that hidden riff and I would have loved to have them around when I was learning to play. They are the only resource that a non-music reader has to use besides their ear.

IMO, they're a good road map but fail to communicate the rhythmic nuance - pretty important to a bass player. Another limitations of tabs is that they can lock you into fingering patterns that may not necessarily be the best fingering choices.

Fortunately, I do read music though I'm not a great sight reader. I highly recommend picking up a book on music theory or taking some piano lessons. It really opened up the fretboard for me. Also, having a very talented guitarist show me more efficient fingering positions changed my playing and finally let me understand how Geddy was playing what sounded impossible. And I love seeing Geddy's sheet music - looks like someone sneezed on the page. tongue.gif

And do not forget, neither McCartney, nor Lennon (and neither Jagger, nor Richards) could read music and no tabs back then. It didn't seem to hold them back and they did alright.

Just play. If you need tabs - no shame, use them. If you can read music, fine; if you can't that's okay too. Just play. The joy is in the playing. Let your inner song out.

"All this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted".

smile.gif

My copy of the book came Saturday! cheer.gif

Got the tab book. For the most part it's dead on with some bum notes in "Carnies" and some off time signature stuff in "Clockwork Angels" but nothing too major that makes this book unreadable.

Edit: No, it does not have the piano part in "The Garden" but has the guitar part underneath it.

Edited by Jake2112

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 19 2012, 04:29 PM)
....And I love seeing Geddy's sheet music - looks like someone sneezed on the page. tongue.gif

This made me laugh.gif . I love seeing Rush's sheet music, how much 'stuff' there is crammed onto the page, and it's fun trying to read through it!

I was lucky enough to come across an Anthology of Rush music (all songs from Rush to Hemispheres!) at a thrift store a few years ago; wish I could find more of these! Haven't gotten into tab yet; there's just something about sheet music that appeals more. Musical notation is just better looking! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Jul 24 2012, 06:13 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 24 2012, 02:35 AM)
My copy of the book came Saturday!  cheer.gif

Does it have the piano part in The Garden in the sheet music part?

Sadly, no.

But it does have all the guitar solos! Never seen that before. Yeah. Like I could play any of them... unsure.gif

Still.... it's nice to have them.

QUOTE (Mika @ Jul 26 2012, 03:30 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 19 2012, 04:29 PM)
....And I love seeing Geddy's sheet music - looks like someone sneezed on the page.  tongue.gif

This made me laugh.gif . I love seeing Rush's sheet music, how much 'stuff' there is crammed onto the page, and it's fun trying to read through it!

I was lucky enough to come across an Anthology of Rush music (all songs from Rush to Hemispheres!) at a thrift store a few years ago; wish I could find more of these! Haven't gotten into tab yet; there's just something about sheet music that appeals more. Musical notation is just better looking! tongue.gif

Is the Rush Anthology you are referring to: Rush Complete Vol 1 (black cover with Red Starman)? If so, I've probably spent more time with that 'book' than all other books combined. Also has a great history of Rush in the Preface. Very great to have back in the late 80s especially before Visions (Rush biography) came out.

I also have Rush Complete Vol 2 (PeW through PoW). Not nearly as used as Vol 1.

Lastly, I also got my CA tab book earlier this week. Haven't attempted playing anything yet. Was waiting for the weekend. Didn't want to get too excited, stay up way too late, and be worthless at work, get fired, live in a van down by the river.....

Shreddy, just keep trying to learn by ear. The more you do this the better you will get. We know its hard and frustrating but you'll get better from all that stuff. Ear training just takes a lot of practice and time. See how much you can get by ear and then check the tabs once they get posted. Hang in there, j.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 27 2012, 11:16 AM)
I have the 400+ page Rush Complete with the black cover and gold lettering/starman (which I think goes through Signals).

I still remember learning Discovery from 2112 thanks to this book. wub.gif Guess I must be a hack. tongue.gif

I have that one, too! Got it ages ago - don't even remember where/when. In the past couple of years I've also found the books for HYF, Presto, VT and S&A. Only the last 2 have tabs but I can half-assed read music. It just takes me longer wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 27 2012, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 27 2012, 11:16 AM)
I have the 400+ page Rush Complete with the black cover and gold lettering/starman (which I think goes through Signals).

I still remember learning Discovery from 2112 thanks to this book. wub.gif  Guess I must be a hack. tongue.gif

I have that one, too! Got it ages ago - don't even remember where/when. In the past couple of years I've also found the books for HYF, Presto, VT and S&A. Only the last 2 have tabs but I can half-assed read music. It just takes me longer wink.gif

... music.gif in the end.... music.gif

And I'm getting HYF too! Vapor Trails is top on my wish list....

old.gif Ya know back before this internet thing-a-ma-jig we had to figure out songs all by ourself. Yep, fire up the record on the turntable and play the same 15-20 seconds over and over until I learned it. Drove the roommates nuts.

But I guess internet tabs save time since I don't have 2-3 hours to spend figuring out songs. It does take some of the challenge out of it though.

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 4 2012, 09:31 PM)
old.gif Ya know back before this internet thing-a-ma-jig we had to figure out songs all by ourself. Yep, fire up the record on the turntable and play the same 15-20 seconds over and over until I learned it. Drove the roommates nuts.

But I guess internet tabs save time since I don't have 2-3 hours to spend figuring out songs. It does take some of the challenge out of it though.

tabs have been around longer than the internet.

No matter what anyone says someone helped everyone playing guitar get started by showing them at least some basics like chords and some scales and how to tune it.

I've never heard of members of orchestras taking shits on sheet music since they can learn it from a record. It's ok to use tab - relax.