Clockwork Angels, a Masterpiece

canadianice

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Oct 3 2012, 09:57 AM)
1022.gif Hey there rush fans!!! Time to appreciate the nads of Clockwork Angels again. 1022.gif

Been going through the catalog of Rush material. Specifically listening to AFTK and Hemispheres...then Counterparts, Vapor Trails (some trash this album but sorry it's such the revelation IMO), & Pow's.

Clockwork Angels is such a leap forward from these efforts. The production of CA something special. No other album sounds as full and rich to me. Also, the length of the album makes it the heavyweight of all their albums. It bursts with new energy, authority, and beauty not found in the Rush canon.

Yes, I have been replaying the entire catalog, too, and CA stands up very, very well against everything, imo.

A little thread love. Good revival, TM. Can I get an amen from the choir?

1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Oct 3 2012, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Oct 3 2012, 09:57 AM)
1022.gif Hey there rush fans!!! Time to appreciate the nads of Clockwork Angels again. 1022.gif

Been going through the catalog of Rush material. Specifically listening to AFTK and Hemispheres...then Counterparts, Vapor Trails (some trash this album but sorry it's such the revelation IMO), & Pow's.

Clockwork Angels is such a leap forward from these efforts. The production of CA something special. No other album sounds as full and rich to me. Also, the length of the album makes it the heavyweight of all their albums. It bursts with new energy, authority, and beauty not found in the Rush canon.

Yes, I have been replaying the entire catalog, too, and CA stands up very, very well against everything, imo.

A little thread love. Good revival, TM. Can I get an amen from the choir?

1022.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

Amen sister!!!

This record is just a gift to all Rush fans. It rocks harder than any other one they've done. There are moments of progressive rock here which transcend the "glory" years. It "sounds" whole to me. Lyrical treasures are everywhere. The band is more "together" than they've ever been. On the LP, Geddy is showing the world he is an accomplished singer.

I want to listen to this stuff more and more. That plus Vapor Trails!

• Like 1

CA goes into my "Abbey Road" category. Which is a superb work through and through.

Nice work, 2.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (librarian @ Oct 4 2012, 11:26 AM)
CA goes into my "Abbey Road" category. Which is a superb work through and through.

Nice work, 2.gif smile.gif

Its Wall to Wall with Clockwork Angels! Not a bad track on CA!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 25 2012, 06:07 AM)
Clockwork Angels I would classify as a "Top Notch" album and one of their best, easily the best of their latter career.....(horrible mixing issues aside)

But I reserve the term "Masterpiece" for records like "Sgt. Pepper", "Selling England by The Pound" "Wish You Were Here", "Heaven and Hell" all the records from "2112"-"Moving Pictures" "Close to the Edge"...etc. And as much as I like the new album, I just cant put Clockwork Angels in that same echelon.

Spot on Owl....

A great Rush album -- best since CP, but not a masterpiece.

I've made several playlist to play in my car, (Mini Epics, Softerside,Heavier sude, Unwanted, Gems, Jams, Best of, 2nd Hits), and everytime one of the Clockwork Angels songs starts playing its like a heaven fell out of the skies and landed on my face. Clockwork Angels really holds up with everything else that came prior. Specially all the CA songs in my Mini-Epics playlist.

2112 Overture/ Temples

Working Man

Clockwork Angels

Red Barchetta

Jacob's Ladder

Seven Cities of Gold

Territories

The Weapon

Armor and Sword

Headlong Flights

The Garden

Clockwork Angels is simply brilliant!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Oct 10 2012, 06:04 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 25 2012, 06:07 AM)
Clockwork Angels I would classify as a "Top Notch" album and one of their best, easily the best of their latter career.....(horrible mixing issues aside)

But I reserve the term "Masterpiece" for records like "Sgt. Pepper", "Selling England by The Pound" "Wish You Were Here", "Heaven and Hell" all the records from "2112"-"Moving Pictures" "Close to the Edge"...etc. And as much as I like the new album, I just cant put Clockwork Angels in that same echelon.

Spot on Owl....

A great Rush album -- best since CP, but not a masterpiece.

Heaven and Hell is a classic album and Clockwork Angels is not?

You so crazy laugh.gif

The more I listen to Clockwork Angels the more it reminds me of one of my other favorite Rush albums, Hemispheres, I can listen to both for hours on end without getting tired of hearing it, it continues to sound fresh. I think Clockwork Angels is a masterpiece and may only be fully appreciated in the years to come when the band stops producing.

QUOTE (Duke1 @ Sep 23 2012, 11:15 AM)
For me, it's a great album and one of the top 5 Rush albums I enjoy the most, the others being Hemispheres, Waves, Pictures and Windows. If I ranked them I'd have Hemispheres at 1, and I'd rank it as a masterpiece, then Pictures 2, Waves 3, Angels 4 and Windows 5.

Haven't you forgotten the genius of AFtK in your T5?? ohmy.gif

I still don't know if this latest effort would be regarded as a "masterpiece" by myself, but Geddy recently called CA a "rock opera" so that does give it a lot of credibility - how would it compare to The Who's epic "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia"? What about "The Wall"? The story from CA is much better and detailed, heck there is even a book about it now. I think many would agree that those three albums I cited are masterpeices, so maybe, just maybe, I can look at CA as that.....I think TIME is an element that is required for any recording to achieve that status.

Just my $0.02. (Canadian funds of course!)

Edited by Superbaldguy

And the professor agrees in his latest update on neilpeart,net:

"After thirty-eight years together, I was confident that Clockwork Angels was our masterpiece"

Awesome! They've put out such great work and this is truly a masterpiece!

• Like 1

And the professor agrees in his latest update on neilpeart,net:

"After thirty-eight years together, I was confident that Clockwork Angels was our masterpiece"

then again he also said that he always says whatever his most recent work is is his best

however, I'd definitely call it their most mature and tightest record, it seems like they know they're old and gonna die so they gave it their all for this one

They certainly put a lot of music on the record 66 minutes of awesomeness
  • Like 1