Clockwork Angels, a Masterpiece

canadianice

There were certainly some great songs produced from '87-'96, but each album from this period was hard to listen to since a significant number of songs on each of these albums was fluff, imo. So, technically (and to some degree) the last album I "liked" was T4E. On the other hand, Counterparts, I hated through and through..

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 30 2012, 08:41 PM)
There were certainly some great songs produced from '87-'96, but each album from this period was hard to listen to since a significant number of songs on each of these albums was fluff, imo. So, technically (and to some degree) the last album I "liked" was T4E. On the other hand, Counterparts, I hated through and through..

counterparts was ok but alot of it largely forgettable.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 30 2012, 08:46 PM)
There were certainly some great songs produced from '87-'96, but each album from this period was hard to listen to

especially rtb and presto albums. both sucked except for maybe available light.

Not a fan of Dreamline??

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 30 2012, 08:47 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 30 2012, 08:46 PM)
There were certainly some great songs produced from '87-'96, but each album from this period was hard to listen to

especially rtb and presto albums. both sucked except for maybe available light.

Not a fan of Dreamline??

no

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 30 2012, 07:47 PM)
There were certainly some great songs produced from '87-'96, but each album from this period was hard to listen to since a significant number of songs on each of these albums was fluff, imo.  So, technically (and to some degree) the last album I "liked" was T4E. On the other hand, Counterparts, I hated through and through..

counterparts was ok but alot of it largely forgettable.

Same here, not a huge fan of it...

As has been mentioned before, great albums (not just Rush albums) are usually the ones that take a few spins before their greatness is apparent to the listener. The first 3 or 4 times through CA I certainly liked the album a lot, but was not blown away by it. I admit to being one of those people who is somewhat distracted by the rather poor mastering of the CD and I felt that this was letting the side down a bit. Nevertheless the more I played it the more I liked it until one day a week or so ago it struck me that this was a very special album indeed, especially the title track, The Wreckers and The Garden.

Anyway, yesterday my vinyl copy of the album turned up (delayed at Warners for some reason) and I listened through again. The mastering of the vinyl is a lot less compressed that the CD and as the DR database shows, it has a lot more dynamic range as a result. Well, wow. The music on the vinyl opens up a lot and much more of the subtle detail can be heard as a result. My previous opinion that this was a great album has been doubly reinforced by hearing the vinyl. Either buy it or if you don't have a turntable, then someone is going to do a quality vinyl rip at some point, I suggest all you mastering haters get hold of a copy. It's not perfect, Neils drums are still too quiet in the mix IMHO, but it's a quantum leap over the CD. And you might just make the leap and hear why this is such a great album smile.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (Smegger68 @ Jul 2 2012, 12:30 PM)
As has been mentioned before, great albums (not just Rush albums) are usually the ones that take a few spins before their greatness is apparent to the listener. The first 3 or 4 times through CA I certainly liked the album a lot, but was not blown away by it. I admit to being one of those people who is somewhat distracted by the rather poor mastering of the CD and I felt that this was letting the side down a bit. Nevertheless the more I played it the more I liked it until one day a week or so ago it struck me that this was a very special album indeed, especially the title track, The Wreckers and The Garden.

Anyway, yesterday my vinyl copy of the album turned up (delayed at Warners for some reason) and I listened through again. The mastering of the vinyl is a lot less compressed that the CD and as the DR database shows, it has a lot more dynamic range as a result. Well, wow. The music on the vinyl opens up a lot and much more of the subtle detail can be heard as a result. My previous opinion that this was a great album has been doubly reinforced by hearing the vinyl. Either buy it or if you don't have a turntable, then someone is going to do a quality vinyl rip at some point, I suggest all you mastering haters get hold of a copy. It's not perfect, Neils drums are still too quiet in the mix IMHO, but it's a quantum leap over the CD. And you might just make the leap and hear why this is such a great album smile.gif

Agreed, i have the vinyl, but the usual suspects here will disagree, just because that is what they do. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 30 2012, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 30 2012, 06:20 AM)
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22751345.jpg

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

Care to define why it isn't a masterpiece?

So far none of you negative nancys haven't done that.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 2 2012, 02:23 PM)

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

Every song would have to be great. This is not the case.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 2 2012, 12:23 PM)

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

When I think of a "masterpiece" (and I don't classify many albums as such), I think of a perfect album of songs and top notch production. An overall FLAWLESS album. CA is not even close in any way, shape, or form. Sorry..

Edited by WCFIELDS

Trenken and GeminiRising need to get together for drinks sometime. They would have so much to talk about. angry.gif rage.gif wacko.gif tongue.gif

Anyway, I don't think CA is a masterpiece on the level of 2112 through Signals. (All "masterpieces," IMO.)

But I do think CA is a masterpiece of Rush's post-Terry period. For me, it very clearly ranks right up there with PoW and CP. IMO, CA is really elevated by the concept, story, diversity, and the nods to previous Rush eras.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 2 2012, 01:23 PM)

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

I am astounded that anyone would even consider using the word "masterpiece" with this album. It is an incremental improvement over the last two albums.

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 11:44 AM)
Trenken and GeminiRising need to get together for drinks sometime. They would have so much to talk about. angry.gif rage.gif wacko.gif tongue.gif

I think they would end up going out back and beating the shit out of each other... and they'd enjoy it!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 2 2012, 02:15 PM)
QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jul 2 2012, 11:44 AM)
Trenken and GeminiRising need to get together for drinks sometime.  They would have so much to talk about.  angry.gif rage.gif wacko.gif tongue.gif

I think they would end up going out back and beating the shit out of each other... and they'd enjoy it!

or they could team up and become life pardners. Perhaps a dynamic duo called "the Hemmorhoids".

Speaking of...why aren't hemmorhoids called "assteroids"

Well...I don't like tossing around the words 'Masterpiece' or 'Epic' as loosely as some.

Is it an amazing album? Hell yes. I'm very happy with it, and it's a fantastic record no doubt.

But, I stop short of calling it Masterpiece, because if it's a masterpiece, then I'd have to come up with new words to describe Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. Can't do it. no.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jul 2 2012, 12:52 PM)

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

I am astounded that anyone would even consider using the word "masterpiece" with this album. It is an incremental improvement over the last two albums.

Because:

You just don't get it.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 2 2012, 10:05 PM)

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

Because:

You just don't get it.

Man, this album really is a masterpiece.

Could be the best Rush ever put out...maybe

2.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 23 2012, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jul 2 2012, 10:05 PM)

laugh.gif

Masterpiece? Funny.....

Because:

You just don't get it.

Man, this album really is a masterpiece.

Could be the best Rush ever put out...maybe

2.gif

Masterpiece i tell you---Masterpiece. 2.gif