What are your favorite Opening Movie Scenes

burgeranacoke

QUOTE (Maverick @ Jul 2 2012, 11:17 PM)
Raiders of the Lost Arc

It has been mentioned a few times, but I agree with this, the second movie to come to mind.

First - Star Wars (also mentioned). The immense view of the ship, slowly scuttling across the screen. Nothing like that was ever seen before, and the sheer hugeness of it all made a huge impact.

Many of the Bond opening scenes are pretty sweet.

Along with Lion King that has been mentioned, I love the opening of the Incredibles, Toy Story, Bug Life.... Pixar/Disney does a great job of giving you that hook. Even with Up, showing the kids growing up, getting married, etc etc.

The opening to John Carpenter's 'Halloween' comes to mind with the point of view from Michael Myers as he stalks and kills Judith.

I also loved the opening to 'Halloween II' where Dr. Loomis is at the spot where Michael landed. The neighbor comes out and says he's been trick or treated to death tonight, and Dr. Loomis simply replies, "You don't know what death is!" then the theme starts!

The funniest opening to a movie is Mel Brooks' 'History of the World Part I'.

QUOTE (glezgared @ Jul 4 2012, 10:51 PM)
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Opens with the cloud of energy and the Klingons in battle with a superb score to match !!

You are correct, sir! biggrin.gif

Star Trek: First Contact also has a great opening - zooming away from Picard's eyeball and showing him in the vast Borg ship......THRILLING!!

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 29 2012, 09:13 AM)
Raising Arizona

Good one. The opening scene is like 20 minutes long. When the credits start you're like "I forgot they didn't do that yet!"

laugh.gif

The first one that came to my mind was Austin Powers: Goldmember

That's good stuff.

yes.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 6 2012, 10:33 PM)
QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Jul 5 2012, 09:47 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg8MqjoFvy4

The Opening scene from Orson Wells' masterpiece Touch Of Evil.  Watch carefully, even the shadows have been choreographed.

nice

yes.gif

Thanks for the link! Amazing shot!

QUOTE (Citizen of the World @ Sep 13 2012, 11:02 PM)
Apocalypse Now.

Martin Sheen's scene in the Saigon hotel room. Fantastic, not just for the tone it sets for the movie and the character, but the fact it was unscripted. Take an alcoholic at one of the lowest points of his life, get him drunk and film his mental breakdown.

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 13 2012, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (Citizen of the World @ Sep 13 2012, 11:02 PM)
Apocalypse Now.

Martin Sheen's scene in the Saigon hotel room. Fantastic, not just for the tone it sets for the movie and the character, but the fact it was unscripted. Take  an alcoholic at one of the lowest points of his life, get him drunk and film his mental breakdown.

There is a great making-of documentary on Apocalypse Now and it was revealed that the crew had been warned the Martin Sheen might attack Coppola when they were filming that scene. And then Sheen had a flipping heart attack while they were making the movie. Brando was supposed to lose a lot of weight and showed up obese. I can't remember the name of the doc, but it was made by Coppola's wife (I think). It's probably in the Apocalypse Now Redux DVD. The behind the scenes stuff on that movie are almost as good as the movie itself. I need to watch it again.

The theatre went nuts after this scene when this movie opened.

I always like this opening scene and movie.

Werner Herzog has a catalog of amazing sights that open his films.

Fata Morgana features mirages which are just out of this world.

Aguirre the Wrath of God has a fantastic opening scene as the spanish army, native indians, with animals, make their way down and up the mountains of Machu Picchu. Filmed with one camera and one take. The music of Popol Vuh will haunt you.

Hearts of Glass opening scene contains a "river of clouds" flowing between two mountain ridges. To accomplish this, a frame was clicked every ten seconds.

Amistad sticks with me because of Cinque pulling the nail out of the board with bloody fingers

Saving Private Ryan is like you're there