What's with all the Clockwork Angels hate?

rushgoober

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 26 2012, 06:43 PM)
I suspect the people who don't like it feel sickened by all the positive response, and feel the need to be all the more vocal to provide a counterpoint. I also suspect some folks feel the need to go against anything that is popular, even if it is only popular on this board.

IDK, you have to be a seriously disturbed variety of troll to claim to hate an album when you really don't, or to actually convince yourself you don't like an album that you would otherwise just for some kind of principle.

No, I think that most people who express dislike for it are genuine in their dislike, I'm just not getting how that's possible for an album this good. Oh well... confused13.gif fing.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alas, there are sad people in this world who desperately need attention.

And their parents taught them that negative attention is better than no attention.

On the interwebs, we call them trolls.

All that you can do is Wish Them Well.

I thought you were Always on drugs........................ laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 07:17 PM)

That's right you DID think that. tongue.gif

Alas, contrary to popular opinion and all evidence to the contrary, drug free for 25 years. yes.gif

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 09:14 PM)

And their parents taught them that negative attention is better than no attention.

yea that's it. if someone dislikes an album or song it's their parents fault. eyesre4.gif so if someone doesn't like this album there is something wrong with them?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 09:19 PM)

Alas, contrary to popular opinion and all evidence to the contrary, drug free for 25 years. yes.gif

trink39.gif I have been free for almost 21 years

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 26 2012, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 09:14 PM)

yea that's it. if someone dislikes an album or song it's their parents fault. eyesre4.gif so if someone doesn't like this album there is something wrong with them?

Is there something wrong with you? There are places that can help you with that, unfortunately its not TRF with CA! I understand you received much therapy when VT came out, but those days are long gone, CA will not provide that much need outlet you desire.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 26 2012, 09:23 PM)

I've been free all my life!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 26 2012, 07:25 PM)

tongue.gif

SLUT!

wink.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 26 2012, 09:25 PM)

tongue.gif

You can't tell my friend laugh.gif

Cool post rushgoober....

I know we are still in the 'honeymoon phase' and maybe our enthusiasm will be curbed at some point....after we realize we have to wake up face to face with Clockwork Angels every morning for the rest of our lives.

I am glad for you that you enjoy the new album...after worrying if your expectations would or could be crushed.

I am no hater....I believe RUSH has put out some very quality material in the twilight, if not the swansong, of their career.

I'd like to think the 'hate' for Clockwork is less than it was for S&A or Vapor Trails.

Hate? For this album?..... For any RUSH album?

How can anybody be enlightened?

Truth after all is so poorly lit.

Completely agree rushgoober smile.gif

biggrin.gif

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

Go CA new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 26 2012, 09:25 PM)

tongue.gif

I have been drug free for 7 years....

Although I do get a high when I listen to RUSH biggrin.gif

Outside of some of the sound issues with the album (which I am partly in agreement with, though it is not as bad as some are making it out to be), I am not seeing much hate at all in regards to the actual music and performance...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 08:10 PM)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/crazy-pills.jpg

So this must be what people feel like when I've put down VT, because honestly, I'm not fathoming why people are hating on this really amazing new album Rush just put out. I know it's still early on in the game, but it's surpassed my expectations by such a wide margin that I wouldn't have thought it possible.

This album really has a ridiculous level of depth to it. I was hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great songs, and it's got more like 8 or 9 or 10, and a few of those are some real classics! The only song I really don't dig is BU2B2, and that's only 90 seconds! Seriously, a band at this age making music THIS good is virtually unheard of, especially considering their track record for the past 25 years has not been without its low points.

Anyway, I've been hesitant to express quite this level of enthusiasm before, as I know it takes a good 6 months to a year for an album to really sink in, and it's possible my opinion of the album could still drop over time as it did with S&A to an extent, but some of the recent hate has seriously puzzled me, and I had to write about it.

Surely some of those who aren't liking CA will be commenting in this thread, and just know that that in my mind, and in many others' minds, that you are SERIOUSLY missing out. I feel sorry for you, because this is a great, great latter day Rush album. yes.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif

Im with you Goob. It's a stellar record by any standard IMO. There are some minor issues I have with it, but overall, it's such a strong album!

The issue I have is not a negative opinion of CA, but that a very noisy and obnoxious few seem to want to shove their ire of CA in our faces every chance they get, and do it in a very arrogant, obnoxious manner. Some are biased towards old Rush and feel the need to put down new Rush as if to say, "how dare some compare this album with classic Rush.....which is untouchable"......so they minimize and put down the album to try and negate the enthusiasm for it and try to spoil the positive mood in here. It's for attention too. They also cant stand it that it's getting so many positive reviews and high praises by the majority.

That is very different than someone not liking CA, gives reasons why without trashing or completely minimizing or dismissing it, and who can at least say a few things they like despite overall not being a fan of it, and who dont shove their negative opinions in our faces all the time and pretend they know the truth and the rest of us are delusional. I have no problem with those folks.

Thankfully, most Rush fans I see and hear about here and elsewhere love and respect this record like you and I do. The dissenters are a minority and the true haters and trolls are truly a lonely, small, sad pathetic bunch of a very few. All their noise wont change my love for this album.

I also predict CA will pass the test of time much, much better than S and A.

Opinions. There are people in this world that think Justin Bieber is more interesting than Rush. Nothing wrong with that at all. Rush fans get this idea that if they love a Rush album then every other Rush fan should like it.

I think Signals is a dull piece of garbage after albums like 2112-MP, but I see people here all the time that love it. Does it matter if someone doesnt like something you like? I sure hope not for a band who's covered so many styles.

Same thing with CA. I think overall it's a really dull and lazy effort. The things I loved about 2112-MP is completely absent on this album. Each song sounds like it was just jammed out in 2 days in a studio, but you happen to love it. It doesnt matter what I think or what you think. We just share our opinions and move on. No point in arguing. Just let people say what they feel.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 10:12 PM)
Opinions. There are people in this world that think Justin Bieber is more interesting than Rush. Nothing wrong with that at all. Rush fans get this idea that if they love a Rush album then every other Rush fan should like it.

I think Signals is a dull piece of garbage after albums like 2112-MP, but I see people here all the time that love it. Does it matter if someone doesnt like something you like? I sure hope not for a band who's covered so many styles.

Same thing with CA. I think overall it's a really dull and lazy effort. The things I loved about 2112-MP is completely absent on this album. Each song sounds like it was just jammed out in 2 days in a studio, but you happen to love it. It doesnt matter what I think or what you think. We just share our opinions and move on. No point in arguing. Just let people say what they feel.

The problem is that you just dont express your dislike for CA and move on. You are constantly putting it down in almost every thread, shoving your negativity in our faces every chance you get, never say anything you like about the album, think that your opinion is BETTER than everyone else's because of your music "credentials" and just act so obnoxious in the way you come across. You piss a lot of people off.....not because you dont like CA, but the way you promote yourself above others and how you completely minimize and dismiss CA. Heck, the other day, you would not even ACKNOWLEDGE the high strings sound in the Anarchist until I forced you to admit it eventually. Yiu were 100% certain, in your words, that it was the sound of Ged's vocals only, as if to try and minimize what the OP was ezcited about. Even the OP proved you wrong.

You are so full of yourself. This is a forum to talk about CA, not take a swipe at it every chance you get. For an album that you put down so much, why do you keep posting here??? Your rampant negativity is something a lot of us DONT want to see. Ok, you dont like CA. I can live with that. But quit shoving that opinion in our faces all the time and respect our love for it!

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 26 2012, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 10:12 PM)

The problem is that you just dont express your dislike for CA and move on. You are constantly putting it down in almost every thread, shoving your negativity in our faces every chance you get, never say anything you like about the album, think that your opinion is BETTER than everyone else's because of your music "credentials" and just act so obnoxious in the way you come across. You piss a lot of people off.....not because you dont like CA, but the way you promote yourself above others and how you completely minimize and dismiss CA. Heck, the other day, you would not even ACKNOWLEDGE the high strings sound in the Anarchist until I forced you to admit it eventually. Yiu were 100% certain, in your words, that it was the sound of Ged's vocals only, as if to try and minimize what the OP was ezcited about. Even the OP proved you wrong.

You are so full of yourself. This is a forum to talk about CA, not take a swipe at it every chance you get. For an album that you put down so much, why do you keep posting here??? Your rampant negativity is something a lot of us DONT want to see. Ok, you dont like CA. I can live with that. But quit shoving that opinion in our faces all the time and respect our love for it!

Remember what I said about taking things way too personally?

At the risk of repeating myself, I love the songs but am still struggling with the mix when I'm not wearing headphones. Kinda makes me want to smack Nick upside the head.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 09:14 PM)

well, VT still sucks, but i understand the concept at least of the incredulity you and others must have when i speak about it. wink.gif

Honestly, I understand some of the nitpicking going on around CA (vocal arrangements & Mixing) more than your outright disdain for VT. All good, though. trink39.gif