What's with all the Clockwork Angels hate?

rushgoober

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 27 2012, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 27 2012, 08:31 AM)
Hate spilled on VT is for damn good reason. smile.gif

you might not care for vt but the worst concert timeframe in any rush concert was the first 5 songs to start the second set on the s & a tour. it was complete and utter torture.

Negative.

Well I might repeat myself a lot......but i'm just answering questions honestly to how I feel. I don't hate CA...... but it's not anywhere near it's rep. I'm happy people love it though, i really am . biggrin.gif

Mick

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 27 2012, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Jun 27 2012, 09:34 AM)
I have not seen a Rush album get this much acclaim since the Moving picture days... CA in comparison to all the albums since Moving Pictures seems to be the most universally acclaimed album..

I agree.

This is the closest we've come to a universal "thumbs up" consensus on a Rush album since the Internet started. Clockwork Angels is getting very very few "thumbs down" votes.

Agreed. Now if only the sound quality was better... eh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 27 2012, 07:26 AM)
How about the hate spilled on S&A? There was a lot more of it than there's been so far for CA.

Not at this point in its release. I went back and reread the threads. The reactions were almost identical... mostly vast praise and annoucments of "best since MP or PoW" and a small smattering of criticism. The posters collective "falling out" with S&A occured over time after the "new album" giddyness ran out.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 27 2012, 07:26 AM)
How about the hate spilled on S&A?  There was a lot more of it than there's been so far for CA.

Not at this point in its release. I went back and reread the threads. The reactions were almost identical... mostly vast praise and annoucments of "best since MP or PoW" and a small smattering of criticism. The posters collective "falling out" with S&A occured over time after the "new album" giddyness ran out.

How long was that, two, six months, a year how long before the bottom fell out of S & A? Just curious.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 27 2012, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 09:41 AM)
I guess that's why the people hating on the album seem so incomprehensible to me.  What are they hearing that the rest of us aren't?

Don't you mean what are they missing?

Or "What do you lack?"

wink.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 27 2012, 05:53 PM)
What's with all the Clockwork Angels hate?, I feel like I'm on drugs...

You probably are on some kind of drugs Gary, though I know you try to deny it...

tongue.gif

I thought his praise for Hold Your Fire made that obvious. tongue.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 08:10 PM)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/crazy-pills.jpg

So this must be what people feel like when I've put down VT, because honestly, I'm not fathoming why people are hating on this really amazing new album Rush just put out. I know it's still early on in the game, but it's surpassed my expectations by such a wide margin that I wouldn't have thought it possible.

This album really has a ridiculous level of depth to it. I was hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great songs, and it's got more like 8 or 9 or 10, and a few of those are some real classics! The only song I really don't dig is BU2B2, and that's only 90 seconds! Seriously, a band at this age making music THIS good is virtually unheard of, especially considering their track record for the past 25 years has not been without its low points.

Anyway, I've been hesitant to express quite this level of enthusiasm before, as I know it takes a good 6 months to a year for an album to really sink in, and it's possible my opinion of the album could still drop over time as it did with S&A to an extent, but some of the recent hate has seriously puzzled me, and I had to write about it.

Surely some of those who aren't liking CA will be commenting in this thread, and just know that that in my mind, and in many others' minds, that you are SERIOUSLY missing out. I feel sorry for you, because this is a great, great latter day Rush album. yes.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif

Despite my two votes in the Haters poll, only 2? I was so hoping to win, biggrin.gif I like the vast majority of it.

Halo--snoozer

BU2B2--not a real song so I don't count it.

Wish Them Well---not very good

Garden---a nice ballad I suppose. Doesn't do much for me. Please don't play it live.

The rest of the album is very good.

As I've posted many times now the mix is infuriating. Seriously diminishes my enjoyment of what still at this point looks like their best in a long time. Listening to it frustrates me because of what I'm not able to hear. For that I'm very disappointed and not enjoying it as much as I could.

Only hate of the mix here.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 27 2012, 03:24 PM)

As I've posted many times now the mix is infuriating. Seriously diminishes my enjoyment of what still at this point looks like their best in a long time. Listening to it frustrates me because of what I'm not able to hear. For that I'm very disappointed and not enjoying it as much as I could.

I think we should start a support group.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:15 PM)

You probably are on some kind of drugs Gary, though I know you try to deny it...

tongue.gif

I'll never understand the hate for this album either (last two songs excluded). no.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 07:22 PM)

tongue.gif

I'll never understand the hate for this album either (last two songs excluded). no.gif

High Water could be an excellent song without all those keys. I would replace them with power chords. 1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 04:22 PM)

tongue.gif

Same here. And *GASP* I love every song on it. INCLUDING the last two.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 08:10 PM)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/rushgoober6/crazy-pills.jpg

So this must be what people feel like when I've put down VT, because honestly, I'm not fathoming why people are hating on this really amazing new album Rush just put out. I know it's still early on in the game, but it's surpassed my expectations by such a wide margin that I wouldn't have thought it possible.

This album really has a ridiculous level of depth to it. I was hoping against hope for 2 or 3 great songs, and it's got more like 8 or 9 or 10, and a few of those are some real classics! The only song I really don't dig is BU2B2, and that's only 90 seconds! Seriously, a band at this age making music THIS good is virtually unheard of, especially considering their track record for the past 25 years has not been without its low points.

Anyway, I've been hesitant to express quite this level of enthusiasm before, as I know it takes a good 6 months to a year for an album to really sink in, and it's possible my opinion of the album could still drop over time as it did with S&A to an extent, but some of the recent hate has seriously puzzled me, and I had to write about it.

Surely some of those who aren't liking CA will be commenting in this thread, and just know that that in my mind, and in many others' minds, that you are SERIOUSLY missing out. I feel sorry for you, because this is a great, great latter day Rush album. yes.gif 1022.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif common001.gif

Couldn't agree more Goobs.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 27 2012, 05:26 PM)

This might help.

Hi, I'm Pound of Obscure.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 06:22 PM)

tongue.gif

I like most of HYF very much from a song-writing/lyric/melodic perspective and honestly, I think it contains some of the best SONGS they've ever written and recorded. Time Stand Still is one of them. So is Mission. No shoehorning or brickwalling or wall of distorted noise to be heard. And plenty of hooks and melody and "arrivals" and "pay-offs" in the songs

But the thing that pisses the anti-HYF people off the most is the dated overproduction and overall lack of a "rock" sound or attitude that Rush had built it's reputation on. For all the good things I like about it, HYF is definatly Rush at it's wussiest. Even the band themselves admit they got carried away with things in that regard.

Edited by jnoble

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 27 2012, 05:23 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 27 2012, 05:26 PM)

This might help.

Hi, I'm Pound of Obscure.

laugh.gif

Hello, my name is Rushman and I can't stop fiddling with the EQ while listening to Clockwork Angels.

I'm so ashamed.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jun 26 2012, 08:43 PM)
I suspect the people who don't like it feel sickened by all the positive response, and feel the need to be all the more vocal to provide a counterpoint. I also suspect some folks feel the need to go against anything that is popular, even if it is only popular on this board.

yes.gif