Can Geddy not pronounce words anymore?

CantStopThinkingBig

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 07:27 PM)
Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

I can't hear you... In fact, YOUR voice seems muffled for some reason.

http://winnietoons.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/asshole.jpg

facepalm.gif I guess the fanboys are out in full force tonight

Yes, fans outnumber the little dweebs who didn't get enough attention from mommy so they troll around the interwebs trying to start shit.

The interwebs, where you can anonymously mouth off and never worry about losing some teeth. (your type couldn't get away with that in High School)

Geddy sings the way he aways sang. RUSH fans dig it.

the definition of a "troll" is not someone you disagree with. I've been a fan of this band for over 20 years, I'm not trying to "start shit". You need to crawl back to your mommy's basement and let the adults talk.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 26 2012, 10:08 PM)
I often wonder if it is more of a hearing issue with Geddy than anything else?
Many years of having his eardrums ring.

I was thinking the same thing. There are a couple of "mouthful of mush" moments on CA, but none that truly effect my listening pleasure.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 26 2012, 11:16 PM)
QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 26 2012, 10:08 PM)
I often wonder if it is more of a hearing issue with Geddy than anything else?
Many years of having his eardrums ring.

I was thinking the same thing. There are a couple of "mouthful of mush" moments on CA, but none that truly effect my listening pleasure.

X3

It's amazing he sings this well at this age considering....but yes we all hear it.

Could be hearing, could be teeth, could be baseball.

Still does it for me.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 26 2012, 10:16 PM)
Lately he's singing like he's got a mouth full of cotton. At first I thought he was only doing this on live performances, but he's doing it all over CA. Parts of Carnies come to mind... but it's in just about every song. Maybe they really do need to start sticking to instrumentals...

Age and vocal degradation.

/topic

*sigh

Show us what you mean, Trenken, and post a link to your singing and bass playing that you always use as a point of reference.

You are all talk, man.

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:00 AM)

/topic

*sigh

Show us what you mean, Trenken, and post a link to your singing and bass playing that you always use as a point of reference.

You are all talk, man.

Are you f***ing kidding me?

It's funny listening to complainnts about Geddys voice and "enunciation" by a bunch of dudes who probably couldn't jog in place for a minute without puking.

Geddy sounds really strong on the new album

Stop being little bitches, for f**k sakes.

QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 27 2012, 02:07 AM)

/topic

*sigh

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:15 AM)

/topic

*sigh

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

So your response to a perfectly reasonable post is to ask to see the other person's qualifications? Geddy has aged, vocal chords do strain and get worse over time, how is your response at all reasonable.

QUOTE (t2s @ Jun 27 2012, 02:24 AM)

/topic

*sigh

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

So your response to a perfectly reasonable post is to ask to see the other person's qualifications? Geddy has aged, vocal chords do strain and get worse over time, how is your response at all reasonable.

It's sweet that you took your mouth off of Trenkens cock long enough to defend him.

Had you not, you would probably sound like Geddy?

Ged knows his vocal limitaions but is "going for it"

f*ckin A

I have been a fan for 30 years and am thrilled to hear him go for it.

Back in 1987 when HYF came out, it seemed like he pretty much stopped trying.

Geddy Lee in 2012 sounds pretty f***ing cool.

I had a particularly hard time trying to understand what he is singing on CA and I still do. I've always relied on the lyric sheets to help out.

Back in '81 my friend and I bought our first 2.gif cassettes, I got 2112 , he got Hemispheres. I'll always remember the look on his face when, after side 1 of hemispheres he said, "I didn't understand a single word he sang"!!!!

But as far as actually pronouncing words, I've heard he has a very difficult time with Klingon.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 04:50 PM)
Back in 1987 when HYF came out, it seemed like he pretty much stopped trying.

I don't think it's as simple as that. I think many of the HYF songs didn't require him to go all out. I mean, there's no reason for him to sing like he did on Free Will for something like Turn the Page.

Pretty sure it's mostly because he's straining his voice.

What, in one of those recent interviews with Geddy (and Billy Corgan) I think Billy said something like "we all want to sing like Geddy!" to which Geddy replied "so do I!" to laughter all around.

Sure he's straining more these days, it's evident enough. Sacrificing some enunciation and clarity for power and pitch. It's ok, whatever. Enunciation has always been a kind of hit-or-miss thing with him through his entire career, it's all good.

Happens to a lot of singers. Phil Collins' voice started to change, soften, and drop in pitch late in his career with Genesis, to where they started dropping down the keys of some songs to accommodate his voice.

QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 27 2012, 07:19 AM)

Happens to a lot of singers. Phil Collins' voice started to change, soften, and drop in pitch late in his career with Genesis, to where they started dropping down the keys of some songs to accommodate his voice.

I really don't mind his voice that much but I do wish there were a few more songs where he would just admit defeat and tune down like they do for 2112. 75% of the audience wouldn't tell the difference and the other 25% wouldn't care!

QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:29 AM)

/topic

*sigh

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

It's sweet that you took your mouth off of Trenkens cock long enough to defend him.

And with that post you lose any credibility you might have ever had.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 27 2012, 09:21 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Jun 27 2012, 12:29 AM)

/topic

*sigh

You are all talk, man.

No, I'm f***ing not

And with that post you lose any credibility you might have ever had.

popcorn.gif

Geddy's enunciation is very good. I know a little about singing technique, and so I notice small things he does that are technically excellent. For example, he really articulates the "-v" sound when he sings "I never got my fair share of, My fair share of..." in the Anarchist.

If anything, his vocals are more understandable than they used to be (e.g. parts of 2112 are almost impossible to decipher without the lyrics sheet). Even in "Seven Cities", all of this esses ("country like this) are perfectly enunciated. Geddy also has a technically great vibrato which he uses in the long notes here and elsewhere.

The indecipherable lyrics in Seven Cities are that way partly because the vocals aren't too prominent in the mix and slightly obscured by flange effects, and partly because Geddy is singing at the top of his range, so the word sounds are a little stretched to meet the needs of his strained vocal cords (in the extreme, he occasionally uses falsetto or "yodels").

In other words, Geddy is a much better singer nowadays than he used to be, and more technically accomplished than most rock vocalists - but the natural decrease in his range means that his higher vocal lines are slightly less decipherable than they once were.

Edited by James_G

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 27 2012, 08:24 AM)
Get the wax out of your ears

That's a good point. It may not be a stupid trolly thread afterall. Maybe OP has some sort of untreated ear condition. But I kinda doubt it. Blanket statement threads like CA sucks, or like OP's here, are normally the result of troll-like behavior. But to be fair, we should consider other factors.. like excessive ear wax. yes.gif

Ged does a lot for charity. Animal adoption is close to his heart. From time to time he hosts a couple of gerbils in his mouth, it a well know secret that this also aids, drying up copious amounts of saliva...an infliction of the aged..

eyesre4.gif

Edited by condemned2bfree

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 27 2012, 04:56 AM)
Not understanding a lyric never stopped me from liking one of their tunes in the past.

yes.gif

This thread is pure awesome... for all the wrong reasons.

People saying that Geddy is having trouble pronouncing some words, and people defend him. Was anyone saying that this shouldn't be happening? Was anyone saying it makes the record terrible? If so, I missed it....

People making a valid observation are getting jumped on because it might make Rush look bad? You really think that is what Rush wants? Talk about f***ing Subdivision.... here we have a group of Rush fans "fighting" over his poor pronunciation of a few words.

Grow up.